Tough decisions must be made.

Dirty Buggane

So if this alleged 20%discount applied to steam racket,  people be okay with that. Just asking as there was a lot of shouting that employees were getting preferential rates(which has always been the way)and some people are advocating that the Civil Service are doing such a fantastic job they deserve the perks. The ads on telly for UK civil service scheme where if you worked for the gov you can access perks by joining the club may seem a good idea for the manx elite.

If Government was serious about looking after the health and welfare of its employees it should make a start at the hospital. They really need to look at the, allegedly heavily subsidised, staff canteen operation there as the percentage of clearly "overweight" staff stalking the corridors seems disproportionate.     

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

But if that can be put aside for one minute, what is wrong with the Government offering an incentive for its workforce to be healthier, by subsidising  the NSC facilities like many private companies do with private gyms? At least the subsidised membership fees stay “ in house” as it were.

I suspect you haven't thought this through.

The government already fund the entirety of the NSC from the monies they collect from the private sector. Thus making comparisons public to private sector are a nonsense. Especially as when private sector folks pay to use the facilities unlike the public sector folks they're effectively being taxed twice over.

I suppose there is a case that public servants have to use up all that spare time doing something...

9 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well yes, but we're not talking about the equivalent of a shop giving a discount to those that work there.  If the NSC was just giving a discount to those who worked at the NSC no one would be shocked or surprised.  But this is alleged to apply to all government workers (though I haven't yet found any evidence in writing).

I have friends who have worked in government and they aren't aware of any nsc discount.  There did used to be a resident discount scheme years ago but I think that was only 5%

I certainly don't know about an NSC discount scheme for government workers.  I remember the resident discount cards years ago. 

There used to be a Mount Murray gym membership discount for those of us working at the hospital, don't know if it extended to the whole of government though.

3 minutes ago, wrighty said:

There used to be a Mount Murray gym membership discount for those of us working at the hospital, don't know if it extended to the whole of government though.

Is that recent?

I know back in the Gubay days, MM Estate residents also got a discount at the gym.  But that stopped when Comis bought it. 

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Is that recent?

I know back in the Gubay days, MM Estate residents also got a discount at the gym.  But that stopped when Comis bought it. 

18 years ago I started and was a member for 2-3 years. No idea how long after that it continued. 

Edited by wrighty
Typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cissolt said:

I have friends who have worked in government and they aren't aware of any nsc discount.  There did used to be a resident discount scheme years ago but I think that was only 5%

They brought in a new discount scheme in 2017:

[...] the range of concessions and special prices will also be made simpler and easier to understand. There will be just three concession levels after the launch of the new structure: 30% reduction (over-65s, under-18s, students in full time education, Isle of Man Army Reservists); 50% reduction (customers with disabilities and GP referrals); and Free of Charge (serving members of the armed forces and those receiving Sports Aid).

The revised structure will mean that a number of prices will decrease compared to current charging levels, particularly for those individuals who select a new membership package, available over three or 12 months, rather than a pay-as-you-go approach.

and then introduced the promised replacement for the Residents card in 2019:

A new Manx Sport and Recreation (MSR) Scorecard will replace the existing NSC resident discount card, with customers scoring loyalty points for participating in wide ranging activities, such as, swimming, a daily fitness pass, or through booking a badminton/squash court.

Though how much was actually open for use in these periods (or since) is another matter.

As I said I couldn't find anything on Gov Workers' discount in their benefits info etc, but it's possible something more informal does exist in the Scorecard system.

Edited by Roger Mexico

55 minutes ago, wrighty said:

18 years ago I started and was a member for 2-3 years. No idea how long after that it continued. 

Thanks.  Was wondering if it was some sort of CSR exercise from Covid to thank the NHS.  Looks like you'll just have to be happy with some claps instead! 

Of course the other reason employers will give out these subsidized gym memberships is the perception that if your staff go to the gym, they're probably somewhat healthier than average, will be less sick and therefore take less time off... 

15 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Thanks.  Was wondering if it was some sort of CSR exercise from Covid to thank the NHS.  Looks like you'll just have to be happy with some claps instead! 

Of course the other reason employers will give out these subsidized gym memberships is the perception that if your staff go to the gym, they're probably somewhat healthier than average, will be less sick and therefore take less time off... 

Unless of course you injure yourself in the gym trying to get or stay healthy. As happened to a colleague of mine some years ago and was off for about 4 months!

15 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

That is also known as a 'benefit in kind' which can be taxed depending on the circumstances and amounts. Same as using a company vehicle for private use, 'free' accomodation, gifts, etc. 

Its only a benefit in kind if the organisation you work for actually make a payment on your behalf for you to enjoy the discount. Its very rare for this to happen. Normally with things like gym membership discounts they are offered to organisations free of charge and are a bit of a scam really. Therefore there is no benefit in find to declare.

4 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Its only a benefit in kind if the organisation you work for actually make a payment on your behalf for you to enjoy the discount. Its very rare for this to happen. Normally with things like gym membership discounts they are offered to organisations free of charge and are a bit of a scam really. Therefore there is no benefit in find to declare.

They sometimes just deduct the payment from your salary.  As you've noted, the gyms will give a discount to the employer if X number of employees sign up.