Okell's Canned.

woolley

17 hours ago, Yibble said:

I wish them huge success in their brewing business. I so wish they would exit the business of trying to run / kill pubs though. They are truly dreadful at that and it would be a joy to have independently run pubs serving a decent range of (mainly local) beers, albeit with branded lagers also for those who want that sort of thing.

Exactly. They're actually really good at brewing and have made some excellent beers for good prices over the years.

They're shit at running pubs though.

They should stick to what they're good at instead of being so greedy.

10 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

That thought process doesn’t seem to tie in with what we are seeing at all.

The Colby Glen, The George, The British, The Highwayman all showing a significant change in rh way they run pubs.

Good luck to all concerned and I for one will be hoping they flourish h def the new model rather than assuming errors made in the past will automate repeated.

Give them a chance eh?

Absolutely agree. The spontaneous cynicism of many is well merited though, and comes from long experience of pub watching on the Island. Let's hope this is the new dawn.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Exactly. They're actually really good at brewing and have made some excellent beers for good prices over the years.

Thing is, they never use to be until Ind Coope and Castletown brewery disappeared 

3 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

There's a good saying “Wealth does not last beyond three generations”...Okells grandkids are pissing it away. I hope they all burn in hell.

Dr Okells is probably currently spinning in his grave thinking the very same.

Bunch of (reserved word)'s those profiting from what's left and Spars.

Shoot them all.

They're canning beer? Revolutionary! 

Canning lines are not cheap though so they must be confident of third party use too, as I wouldn't imagine sales of their own product alone would cover it for a long time. That's only a guess though, I don't know the exact figures involved. 

1 minute ago, Albert Tatlock said:

There's a good saying “Wealth does not last beyond three generations”...Okells grandkids are pissing it away. I hope they all burn in hell.

Dr Okells is probably currently spinning in his grave thinking the very same.

Bunch of (reserved word)'s those profiting from what's left and Spars.

Shoot them all.

Isn’t it fair to say that the pub side of the business is in the early stages of a major overhaul, and that we should give them a  chance?

The business is in a completely different place to two years ago.

4 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Isn’t it fair to say that the pub side of the business is in the early stages of a major overhaul, and that we should give them a  chance?

Indeed it is, there's now hardly any left!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Not at all. They have destroyed their pubs since 2000 and completely demoralised anyone working for them.

Other than a few die hard locals maybe supporting them occasionally (usually with no other local pub options), their pubs are largely empty, employ minimum wage staff (people on last resort options working there typically), and the food stinks.

This is the only major employer on the island that argues every year against government increasing the minimum wage FFS.

Fook them. Don't support them. I'd be happy to see them go as bankrupt as their attitude. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Not at all. They have destroyed their pubs since 2000 and completely demoralised anyone working for them.

Other than a few die hard locals maybe supporting them occasionally (usually with no other local pub options), their pubs are largely empty, employ minimum wage staff (people on last resort options working there typically), and the food stinks.

This is the only major employer on the island that argues every year against government increasing the minimum wage FFS.

Fook them. Don't support them. I'd be happy to see them go as bankrupt as their attitude. 

I for one like the food. Still struggle to get a table at times in the Station and George so must be popular with others too.

The Woody was packed at the weekend.

I think largely empty is a bit of an exaggeration. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

I for one like the food. Still struggle to get a table at times in the Station and George so must be popular with others too.

The Woody was packed at the weekend.

I think largely empty is a bit of an exaggeration. 

I would say it’s the opinion of someone who decided they disliked the brewery years ago, and isn’t prepared to give them another chance.

It’s an IOM thing.  My mum wouldn’t eat at Douglas Golf Club right up to her death because she had a bad meal there probably 30 years and ten chefs ago despite really good recent views.

I think I am right in saying the only H&B pubs I haven’t been in during the last six months would be The Haven, The Manor and The Pinewood.  Out of all the others the only one I didn’t think was decent was The Mitre in Kirk Michael, and some of the others like The Station, The Colby Glen, The Swan and The George in Castletown I would actually say were very good, with food better than most other pubs on the island.

Like you say the woody is very popular, and the refit in The Rosemount is also very good.

Edited by CrazyDave

I hope they do well. I always hope Island businesses do well because it's good for the economy, and that's good for us all. I hope their partners in the newly tenanted pubs do well too, and that H&B have learned their lesson about how to treat good landlords and share the success.

I'd love to see H&B's canned beers take off. I'd like to see them in Tesco around the Island, and then in Tesco all over the UK. If it's good beer, then why not?

• Like 4