Okell's Canned.

woolley

8 hours ago, woolley said:

I'd like to see them in Tesco around the Island, and then in Tesco all over the UK. If it's good beer, then why not?

One of the very few Southern ales I like is Bishops Finger brewed in Kent.

Tesco Douglas - £1.45

Shoprite PE - £2.20

Shome mishtake shurely!

Nope. Just blatant profiteering...

ETA - for those who struggle with sums it's half as much again!

Edited by P.K.

8 hours ago, woolley said:

I'd love to see H&B's canned beers take off. I'd like to see them in Tesco around the Island, and then in Tesco all over the UK. If it's good beer, then why not?

It's a tough market. There is a huge amount of choice out there, which is sadly getting smaller as the mega brewers and the fucking government tighten the screw, small breweries and retailers close, and everyone has to drink bud.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It's a tough market. There is a huge amount of choice out there, which is sadly getting smaller as the mega brewers and the fucking government tighten the screw, small breweries and retailers close, and everyone has to drink bud.

In Scotland and Wales, Tesco stock lots of Scottish/Welsh beers that you don't see in their other shops the opposite side of the border, so I am holding out some hope 😀 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

Tesco Douglas - £1.45

Shoprite PE - £2.20

Shome mishtake shurely!

Possibly in Shoprite warehouse at the price they'd bought it for wholesale before Tesco came along. They didn't have the buying power of Tesco.

I'd hope once Tesco are fully in control of the stock, the larger shops will be priced the same?

4 hours ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Possibly in Shoprite warehouse at the price they'd bought it for wholesale before Tesco came along. They didn't have the buying power of Tesco.

I'd hope once Tesco are fully in control of the stock, the larger shops will be priced the same?

I presume that's the intention.  Of course they may decide that it is then a good time to put on a much bigger Isle of Man premium, held only in check by rivalry with Imaginary Aldi.

I expect they will try to apply their standard extra mark-up in the Express rebrands.  How successful that will be may be another matter, customers may go to one of the bigger ones for their weekly shop in protest and use the Coop and convenience stores for the bits and pieces.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I presume that's the intention.  Of course they may decide that it is then a good time to put on a much bigger Isle of Man premium, held only in check by rivalry with Imaginary Aldi.

I expect they will try to apply their standard extra mark-up in the Express rebrands.  How successful that will be may be another matter, customers may go to one of the bigger ones for their weekly shop in protest and use the Coop and convenience stores for the bits and pieces.

I am not convinced all the Shoprites that were there in 2023 will still be Tesco in 5 years time, but I may be wrong.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

I am not convinced all the Shoprites that were there in 2023 will still be Tesco in 5 years time, but I may be wrong.

Well Tesco have agreed to leases on all of them for 21 years.  So they're going to have to keep throwing money at the Nicholsons even if they close some down.  And they certainly won't be handing them over to rivals.

Of course Shoprite already had a portfolio of unused sites (and you wonder if there are clauses to prevent them being used by rival retailers) so there's no unwillingness to leave sites derelict, but they'll want paying for them.

7 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

It’s no just a tough market, it’s never going to happen with okells sold all over UK. 

2 main reasons are 

1. They don’t have the or won’t spend the kind of resource they’d need to, even if they had it. 

2. the product isn’t good enough.

5 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

2. the product isn’t good enough.

I don't see why not. It is hard to buy a session pint as good as MPA anywhere. 

Edit - had a good session on Odin's Laksaa recently, that's a cracking pint too.

Edited by TheTeapot

12 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I don't see why not. It is hard to buy a session pint as good as MPA anywhere. 

Edit - had a good session on Odin's Laksaa recently, that's a cracking pint too.

I get to try new beers almost weekly and do judging.

There is significantly better beer being brewed in the UK. It’s not even close. 

Edited to add - best local beer I’ve had recently is the new Bushys west coast IPA. 

Edited by jackwhite

Just now, jackwhite said:

I get to try new beers almost weekly and do judging.

There is significantly better beer being brewed in the UK. It’s not even close. 

It doesn't need to be the best, it just needs to be good. People drink a lot of beer, and are always willing to try beers they haven't seen before. You just like to shit on everything for some weird fucking reason.

I used to have a beer52 sub, Okells should try to get their cans in one of their offerings. Sadly another firm, Flavourly which shipped great mixed boxes of 330 cans of small brews, has closed but there are probably others. There's a market out there - a tough one like I said - but beer pretty much sells itself. I'm all for it.

16 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It doesn't need to be the best, it just needs to be good. People drink a lot of beer, and are always willing to try beers they haven't seen before. You just like to shit on everything for some weird fucking reason.

I used to have a beer52 sub, Okells should try to get their cans in one of their offerings. Sadly another firm, Flavourly which shipped great mixed boxes of 330 cans of small brews, has closed but there are probably others. There's a market out there - a tough one like I said - but beer pretty much sells itself. I'm all for it.

Im not shitting on it. I’m giving my honest opinion on it. 

There’s better available on the Isle of Man let alone the UK. 

Unless you’re massive you’re not getting near nationwide Tesco shelves. A lot of the space has already been taken by craft beer. 

Edited by jackwhite

6 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Im not shitting on it. I’m giving my honest opinion on it. 

There’s better available on the Isle of Man let alone the UK. 

Unless you’re massive (st Austell for example) you’re not getting near nationwide Tesco shelves. A lot of the space has already been taken by craft beer. 

What's your verdict on the 1907 (bottled and cask)?

Edited by Andy Onchan

Its great in a bottle, strong. Weaker on draft, average. The extra alcohol and tiny bit of fizz definitely make it a bottle beer. It would be even better in a can. Be good for the bus on the way to a gig.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

What's your verdict on the 1907 (bottled and cask)?

Honest answer is I don't know as I'm not sure I've tried that one. I might have done but it doesn't ring any immediate bells.

I have tried the ones they are canning, hence able to give an opinion on it. 

It's funny that people go on about how much they can't stand the brewery but if someone else says something simple, like their beer isn't as good as other beers being brewed in the UK currently, they get all defensive. There's also an element of who is saying it, I get it. 

People give opinions that they prefer this to that on here all the time. Some people like x restaurant over y restaurant. It doesn't mean they're shitting on it, it just means they think the other is better. In some cases they might eat in one place but go somewhere else for a much better quality experience. That's all I'm saying in this instance. 

Be interested to try the new Bushys one in keg which I understand they have at Black Dog in Peel and one or two other places. 

I'm guessing you and @TheTeapotprefer Okells to Bushys? I also think Odin is a decent brewery. I don't care much for the rest of the beer that's produced here.