Okell's Canned.

woolley

19 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Bought 4 cans of Okells Triumph from Port Erin shoprite before, £5.75 for 4 330s puts that firmly in the expensive bracket in my world. It's only 4.2%, a session IPA. The box is nice, the cans are stylish enough, the beer is good but not great. It's a little too gassy. It's alright though, and if they priced it at a flat fiver I'd be inclined to buy it again.

I would definitely buy the 1907 if I saw it.

The 1907 is something else, one of the best ales around. Tastes like ales of 40 years ago.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, madmanx90 said:

Looking at the poster the 1907 will be canned but I'd imagine due to it's ABV it will cost more than £5.75Screenshot_20240208-1300443.thumb.png.adc24c0c45269c19525fa47dcf465b3b.png

I think the 1907 in the cans will be based on the cask (pale ale) and not the bottle so it's about 4.5 if I remember correctly.

5.75 is pretty good value for 4 x 330s when you compare it to the 4 packs in Tesco and M&S, range between £7 and £9.

21 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Bought 4 cans of Okells Triumph from Port Erin shoprite before, £5.75 for 4 330s puts that firmly in the expensive bracket in my world. It's only 4.2%, a session IPA. The box is nice, the cans are stylish enough, the beer is good but not great. It's a little too gassy. It's alright though, and if they priced it at a flat fiver I'd be inclined to buy it again.

I would definitely buy the 1907 if I saw it.

I don’t think that’s expensive at all for beer. 

When you factor in tax, packaging etc it’s very little profit, if any at all! 

If you think that’s expensive you’d pass out at the price of an imperial stout these days. 

Edited by jackwhite
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

I don’t think that’s expensive at all for beer. 

When you factor in tax, packaging etc it’s very little profit, if any at all! 

Bishops Finger Strong Kentish Ale 500ml bottle at 5.2% ABV

Tesco - £1.45

Last week what was Shoprite PE £2.20

Blatant profiteering...

It's expensive for what it is. 4 330s at 4.2%. 440s at that price, fine. 

I suppose it depends what you're drinking for, but for the "I need to drink 4 cheap beers very quickly to positively enhance my mental state" drinker, this is unlikely to be their future purchase of choice.

Price the 1907 (6.1%) at that level and I'm all in.

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

It's expensive for what it is. 4 330s at 4.2%

Neck oil 4 x 330s in Tesco and M&S are nudging £9. Same ABV (0.1% more). So I'd say at £5.75 Okell's are doing pretty well. Struggle to find 4 x 330's any cheaper.

On the 1907, do they still sell the 6.1% in bottles? Sometimes it's on offer but usually it's around 2.40 for a 500ml.

20 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

It's expensive for what it is. 4 330s at 4.2%. 440s at that price, fine. 

I suppose it depends what you're drinking for, but for the "I need to drink 4 cheap beers very quickly to positively enhance my mental state" drinker, this is unlikely to be their future purchase of choice.

Price the 1907 (6.1%) at that level and I'm all in.

Still think you’re expecting too much for the price. 

I wouldn’t put these into the cheap beer category either. 

20 hours ago, madmanx90 said:

It's all economy of scale Shepherd Neame produce 180,000 brewers barrel's a year  Okell's doesn't. It's unrealistic to think a local brewery can compete on price and make any sort of money.

Which ignores the fact that in Douglas it's sold at £1.45 and the same product is sold by the same company in PE for £2.20.

Go figure...

39 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Which ignores the fact that in Douglas it's sold at £1.45 and the same product is sold by the same company in PE for £2.20.

Go figure...

Because the stock in Douglas Tesco was bought at lower price by Tesco as they have more buying power, the stock being used up in Shoprite stores was bought by Shoprite before the takeover at a higher price (it was being sold by Shoprite at £2.20 previously).

Just a thought.

25 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Because the stock in Douglas Tesco was bought at lower price by Tesco as they have more buying power, the stock being used up in Shoprite stores was bought by Shoprite before the takeover at a higher price (it was being sold by Shoprite at £2.20 previously).

Just a thought.

I would have thought a bloody obvious one!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jackwhite said:

I would have thought a bloody obvious one!

In these days of JIT it's dumb to hold a lot of stock. Even with the vagaries of the Irish Sea the rule stays the same ie the more stock you hold the more wonga you have bound up in it.

Tesco took Shoprite over back in October. Any Shoprite stock that passed over to Tesco at that time would only be worth to them what they can buy it in for.

I would have thought that was bloody obvious...