TT 2024

Andy Onchan

2 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

£9K for a standard pitch, whatever that is (as I've just been told by someone who was thinking about setting up a pitch there).

At first sight, quite a high-risk venture for a first time burger van owner then...if you're selling £9 Burgers that's 1000 burgers needed to pay for the pitch (but of course that doesn't include the staff, fuel and ingredient costs, which probably means another 200-300 burgers sold to cover those costs too) - though if you're selling soft drinks too, that would help substantially given the profit available on those if you buy the right brands - and chips too, if you buy at the right price.

All amounts to a chunky percentage and I guess a large gamble at first sight, particularly if there are several competitors sat near you.

But it's clear that there are regulars there every year and they don't seem to be panicking too much.

I wonder how many IOM govt people are paid to watch 2 weeks of CCTV counting customers before setting next years prices? Or if pitch owners are required to state costs/profit as a condition?

20 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

At first sight, quite a high-risk venture for a first time burger van owner then...if you're selling £9 Burgers that's 1000 burgers needed to pay for the pitch (but of course that doesn't include the staff, fuel and ingredient costs, which probably means another 200-300 burgers sold to cover those costs too) - though if you're selling soft drinks too, that would help substantially given the profit available on those if you buy the right brands - and chips too, if you buy at the right price.

All amounts to a chunky percentage and I guess a large gamble at first sight, particularly if there are several competitors sat near you.

But it's clear that there are regulars there every year and they don't seem to be panicking too much.

I wonder how many IOM govt people are paid to watch 2 weeks of CCTV counting customers before setting next years prices? Or if pitch owners are required to state costs/profit as a condition?

Anyone know how many pitches they rent out at the Grandstand? 

I know someone that had a food van at the Villa Bushy's Village last year and I think that was about £5k.  

Lovely publicity on the 3fm Facebook page, about people coming over for the TT and their accommodation being described as dire and having no hot water, and they paid in advance. I am sure examples like this won’t be the first or the last. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Lovely publicity on the 3fm Facebook page, about people coming over for the TT and their accommodation being described as dire and having no hot water, and they paid in advance. I am sure examples like this won’t be the first or the last. 

where had no hot water ??   some farmers shed with camp beds advertised as an air BnB ?

Four Spanish visitors arrived to find that their host had died and no one had informed them I hope they got sorted out.    They had been previously and knew the family and were very upset about the death but obviously still needed accommodation.

People were contacting MR this morning about the food prices behind the grandstand one of the vendors reckoned that he had paid £11000 for his stand on social media so I expect that is reflected in the pricing.   One guy paid £10 for three doughnuts …crazy.   Filbys had high praise for value and quality and the Hailwood Cafe was praised so it isn’t the locals that are exploiting the fans.

38 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

People were contacting MR this morning about the food prices behind the grandstand one of the vendors reckoned that he had paid £11000 for his stand on social media so I expect that is reflected in the pricing.   One guy paid £10 for three doughnuts …crazy.   Filbys had high praise for value and quality and the Hailwood Cafe was praised so it isn’t the locals that are exploiting the fans.

You can see why they didn't want competition nearby at St Ninians. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WTF said:

where had no hot water ??   some farmers shed with camp beds advertised as an air BnB ?

It may well be. I always thought that you had to go through the official Homestay scheme. It does seem that Airbnb properties are operating on the island. 

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Where do the funds from the pitch fees go to?

How many Mr 5%s do we have now, I wonder...

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

It’s a vicious circle really as those with a pitch.having paid £0000s need to cover their costs, so in reality I can understand their prices. Needless to say nobody is forced to buy, but I can see it doesn’t create a positive experience when hungry spectators are charged stupid money for simple refreshments - if they are spending huge amounts on refreshments, they may have less money to spend on other things, for example in the retail economy of Strand Street. 

ETA - the same can be said to other set piece events like Tynpotwald Day, except, there are families and hungry children……….. it’s hard in this economic climate for families to pay the cost of hamburgers etc, and even ice creams with a waffle cone.

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1