TT 2024

Andy Onchan

1 hour ago, WTF said:

moved faster instead of ambling as seen in their first appearance 

38 minutes ago, GD4XXX said:

Er, run? That bike should have been cleared *far* more quickly (I'm a marshal myself of 10 years experience).

They are trained not to run.  They are also not allowed to move at all onto the circuit until they have clearance to do so.

Their priority is to not introduce more risk to the situation, not to run onto the track and cause a further incident or trip and injure themselves.

They responded exactly as they are trained to.  Make sure the scene is covered by waved yellows and that you have authority to enter a live circuit, then respond in a calm and measured way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

42 minutes ago, GD4XXX said:

Er, run? That bike should have been cleared *far* more quickly (I'm a marshal myself of 10 years experience).

Ten years experience from when?  When was your last training?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I think that there's a lot for the organisers to take away from this year's event (if they can get past the wankfest of the annual huge increase in claimed visitor numbers), particularly in respect of sustainability for the future.

If there's been one repeated theme during the two weeks it's been the rising costs of competing for the competitors who are obviously impacted by the rampant commercialization as much as the visitors. The superbike race saw 52 starters, 26 finishers and 3(?) newcomers. Milky Quayle himself is reported as saying that those figures are not sustainable. The Senior had 39 finishers I think.

The "budget" class of the supertwins now requires a £65,000 non-production model to win it and reportedly over £30,000 spending on a production model to try and be remotely competitive with the machinery now being pushed so far that the expense and non-reliability now approaches that of the old GP 2 strokes.

The "production-based" Superstock class now has the leading riders running "factory engines" that Michael Dunlop says his bikes cannot match for speed. Over £40k to build a bike for a normal Joe with the equipment and modifications permitted under the rules. Yet commentators and organisers repeatedly spiel that "these bikes are the same as you can buy in the showroom". More bullshit.

Where do you start with the sidecars? Tom Birchall now opining that the 120mph lap is right on the physical limits for passengers; there simply isn't enough time for the passenger to move around the outfit for some combinations of bends. The Birchalls now using a wind tunnel facility that they have access to, to improve aerodynamics. How many other teams could afford or have access to such? Because they'll be obliged to if they want to remain competitive.

The 600s have evolved to be limited number, pure race bikes now from their original production-based roots. All classes now running slick race tyres requiring near perfect track conditions.

If the TT isn't careful, it will evolve and price itself to extinction through competitor costs, let alone the costs to the visitors.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 6

I'm pretty ambivalent towards the TT seems a great spectacle if that's your thing. Does anyone know what the cost / benefit to the public purse is overall. If local business do very well that's great and I'm pleased for them in these difficult times, but does anyone know without the bullshit what the costs to the taxpayers are ?

Everything I read about possible costs is either grossly exaggerated one way or the other !

9 minutes ago, Roger Ram said:

They are trained not to run.  They are also not allowed to move at all onto the circuit until they have clearance to do so.

Their priority is to not introduce more risk to the situation, not to run onto the track and cause a further incident or trip and injure themselves.

They responded exactly as they are trained to.  Make sure the scene is covered by waved yellows and that you have authority to enter a live circuit, then respond in a calm and measured way.

Nope! The assertion that we're "trained not to run" is risible nonsense. What we are instructed to do is count to ten to let the dust settle, then get our arses in gear and *move* to deal with the situation.

It's very disruptive, I'm not sure any one in charge really takes into account how much. 6 race days instead of 4 now is it? The TT needs the support of the public, I think its taken for granted.

I'm glad it mostly went well, that no one died and that people seemed to have a nice time. And I'm very glad it is over.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Still think the old time table worked better. And still not sure what the hell warm up laps are about.

it could be to give racers a sighting lap to see where the damp patches are