TT 2024

Andy Onchan

2 hours ago, Roger Ram said:

I have lived on the island for over fifty years and have lived inside the course, outside the course and for twenty years directly on the course.

I have never found it particularly disruptive and have just planned around it so have to admit I don’t really get the issue.

During the years living directly on the course we had children and raised them, even as newborns and toddlers it wasn’t hard to plan around.

These days I am fortunate to just take the race week off, but when I worked in an office in Douglas it really wasn”t a big deal.  It took more planning and organisation than other weeks but that is all.

Maybe being local and a fan of the event makes me more tolerant than some others?

Well obviously being a fan is going to make you more enthusiastic, but your experience of living on/inside the Course is also out-of-date as Teapot pointed out:

3 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

It's very disruptive, I'm not sure any one in charge really takes into account how much. 6 race days instead of 4 now is it? The TT needs the support of the public, I think its taken for granted.

Because previous to the latest changes people at least were used to the schedule and knew what to expect.  Now there are more racing days and no days on which they can absolutely rely on the roads being open.  And because all the time has been at least potentially reserved for racing, it makes it very difficult for those affected to plan their lives.  Having the extra contingency time means that the organisers feel able to be cautious (a good thing in itself) and so what would have been usable days are now more likely not to be.

This doesn't only affect individuals, businesses may end up shutting down for all or part of the time, simply because they can't plan and because their customers can't either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well obviously being a fan is going to make you more enthusiastic, but your experience of living on/inside the Course is also out-of-date as Teapot pointed out:

Because previous to the latest changes people at least were used to the schedule and knew what to expect.  Now there are more racing days and no days on which they can absolutely rely on the roads being open.  And because all the time has been at least potentially reserved for racing, it makes it very difficult for those affected to plan their lives.  Having the extra contingency time means that the organisers feel able to be cautious (a good thing in itself) and so what would have been usable days are now more likely not to be.

This doesn't only affect individuals, businesses may end up shutting down for all or part of the time, simply because they can't plan and because their customers can't either.

This

38 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Fair play to you. You dislike the increased disruption of the new schedule while acknowledging it may improve safety.

You have my respect and make some valid points.

57 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

So the biggest takeaway from TT2024 is if you don't want people to die, reduce the number of laps and races.

My takeaway is no different from other years - if you choose to measure the success of any event by how few people died you probably need to review your mindset as generally not getting dead isn’t seen as a positive metric.

Read the above and read it again and again - if you still think its acceptable to trot out the moronic “everyone went  home” as a measure of magnificence you are wrong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

My takeaway is no different from other years - if you choose to measure the success of any event by how few people died you probably need to review your mindset as generally not getting dead isn’t seen as a positive metric.

I don't think you're right on that one. In a way the organisers need people to die and some people usually do. Otherwise the No Room For Error style marketing strategy rings a tad hollow. 

15 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Didn't take long for the faux safety outraged alter egos to derail the thread again.

Not happy If someone dies, not happy if they don't.

I guess either way it closed the roads.

Typical shit from a below average perspective - I’ve previously shared my TT disdain based on death, that bit where people no longer fucking breathe including spectators and unpaid helpers, I’ve also previously questioned the economic benefits- not denying it’s positive to some but to whom and to how many (I’ve had a caterer tell me this week it’s shit because everyone pays by card or app and not cash) same thick necked man was sat front row at the Creg asking for Government support for hospitality - he’s a skint publican pay him whilst he can’t put cash under the mattress.

No official figures available- if they are forthcoming take £100k off for Honda to provide Nathan Harrison with a tax payers bike - he was so slow the exhaust was literally coughing out tax paid £5 notes - thankfully it didn’t end in the catastrophic way the Tax payer Dan knees project did - but but but road warriors etc etc.

Nobody died all good - Shaun Counsel in court we’ll end up footing the bill 

Greatest fucking show on Earth 

Typical frothy mouthed nonsense full of unsubstantiated, fantasy claims.

So the taxpayer paid Honda £100k for Nathan Harrison's ride, what a load of crap, clutching at straws now.

Would this be the same Honda that supply 9 or 10 brand new fire blades @£25k a pop for the travelling marshalls each year completely free? Or that have supported the event for over 50 years?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

No official figures available- if they are forthcoming take £100k off for Honda to provide Nathan Harrison with a tax payers bike - he was so slow the exhaust was literally coughing out tax paid £5 notes - thankfully it didn’t end in the catastrophic way the Tax payer Dan knees project did - but but but road warriors etc etc.

You keep mentioning this but offer nothing to support it? As it turns out Nathan performed very well in the Senior, bear in mind that this is only his second TT too.

I don't understand what the benefit would be of funding a local rider's ride, it won't bring more people to the island and is only of interest to a few locals. 

As I have said, I think you're assuming a lot from a bit of pub talk.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

When we’re there days that there wasn’t a possibility of racing?  I can’t remember that, the Tuesday and Thursday were always contingency days or at least have been for a long time haven’t they?

• Like 1