TT 2024

Andy Onchan

6 minutes ago, woolley said:

Is it the one with "Bunty" of Onchan in it? You couldn't get that for love nor money when it came out.

There was a young lady from Port e Chee Avenue who appeared in a magazine (Club International) not that I can remember it….. Her father did a trip of the Island and bought every copy to stop anyone buying it - unfortunately for him auto stock/ barcode tech re ordered for the following day - I know her to speak to to it’s difficult not to call her Daisy from Bristol 😂

4 hours ago, HiVibes said:

So the biggest takeaway from TT2024 is if you don't want people to die, reduce the number of laps and races.

I've thought this for a long time. 2 laps in general and 3 or 4 for the Senior. Everyone seems to be saying the racing has been great this year, and it definitely cuts the opportunity for a messy end. Might prolong the event by putting off some terminal conflagration.

1 hour ago, Roger Ram said:

It’s nonsense though.  There are no more days of disruption than there ever were in a wet race week.  In fact its better now as they are much more likely to delay the actual road closure than they used to be.

It depends what you mean by 'days'.  I thought I'd compare the road closures  (definite and contingency) from this year to what they were in 2017:

image.png.87fe74bd4f0ec46a7db06192d26bb847.png

Contingency periods are in red.  Although there's no increase in the number of days with some road closures at least possible (because it's practically every day), there's an increase in the daytime closures.  Monday and Fridays of Practice week are now affected and Mad Sunday and the final Saturday are now both definite rather than just contingency.  Rather than four days shut there are certain to be eight.

2 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I think generally the impact of the TT on businesses is very positive.

There will be some that suffer maybe. Marown TV maybe?

I think you are looking at from a very narrow perspective and I expect the impact of the TT is only positive for a small sector of the Island’s businesses.

My understanding was that the TT was introduced to extend the tourist season in the Isle of Man into what were traditional quiet weeks. One of those weeks is now one off the UK peak holiday weeks. Just as it was a boost to tourism and hospitality then I am sure it remains the same today with many doing very well from e.g. steam packet, airlines, local breweries, campsites etc. Some I expect see little benefit e.g. I doubt the footfall at the Woodbourne increases much over TT and some I believe loose out depending on the weather. I have heard restaurant owners comment that they loose much of there normal trade in the TT and whilst it may be replaced by the TT trade if the races get delayed into the evening the bookings just get cancelled.

Away from the hospitality trade, which makes up only a very small part of the Islands GDP, who else really gains? Emergency service & DOI personnel etc may get decent over time.  

I expect that many businesses “suffer” in the Isle of Man for the TT if only because it results in them closing for a day, giving staff an additional day off, payment in lieu for the additional Manx bank holiday. That must be a fair cost to the economy as when the UK have had the odd additional one for the Coronation etc, it has a measurable impact. It must be the same here. I am sure others suffers more directly where closed roads directly affect their business e.g. construction, distribution  

3 hours ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Nobody died all good - Shaun Counsel in court we’ll end up footing the bill 

A man no stranger to the courts

21 minutes ago, Garteth T said:

I think you are looking at from a very narrow perspective and I expect the impact of the TT is only positive for a small sector of the Island’s businesses.

My understanding was that the TT was introduced to extend the tourist season in the Isle of Man into what were traditional quiet weeks. One of those weeks is now one off the UK peak holiday weeks. Just as it was a boost to tourism and hospitality then I am sure it remains the same today with many doing very well from e.g. steam packet, airlines, local breweries, campsites etc. Some I expect see little benefit e.g. I doubt the footfall at the Woodbourne increases much over TT and some I believe loose out depending on the weather. I have heard restaurant owners comment that they loose much of there normal trade in the TT and whilst it may be replaced by the TT trade if the races get delayed into the evening the bookings just get cancelled.

Away from the hospitality trade, which makes up only a very small part of the Islands GDP, who else really gains? Emergency service & DOI personnel etc may get decent over time.  

I expect that many businesses “suffer” in the Isle of Man for the TT if only because it results in them closing for a day, giving staff an additional day off, payment in lieu for the additional Manx bank holiday. That must be a fair cost to the economy as when the UK have had the odd additional one for the Coronation etc, it has a measurable impact. It must be the same here. I am sure others suffers more directly where closed roads directly affect their business e.g. construction, distribution  

I work in construction and have done for many years. Generally the TT is good for construction, apart from extra  work associated with it, it's traditional for pretty much everyone in construction to have the week off, which is more efficient than different people having a week off in dribs and drabs.

As for the bank holiday, I've absolutely no doubt there is a cost to the economy - but then we have one for no better reason than it being early May, or late August, at least this one serves some purpose.

One thing you are ignoring though is the cultural importance of the races to the island. Motorcycle road racing is a huge part of the history, culture and folklore of the island and has been longer than anyone can remember. It brings tourists from far further afield than would otherwise be the case and is an important part of the island's identity. It's part of what makes the island what it is.

Not only that, it's played an important role in the history and development of motorcycling and continues to be revered amongst bikers the world over.

It's significance is sometimes wasted on people whose only concern is well established road closures.

• Like 7