TT 2024

Andy Onchan

Just now, Albert Tatlock said:

We're not mass debating with him on MF..

He's gone.

How about making sure he can’t re invent himself under another name……it’s happened to many times now. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

As this clown will surely try and register again, isn’t it about time any new applicant should pay £10 for the pleasure. Probably won’t stop them but at least they’ll have to pay for the privilege.

We'll probably end up with only 5 people on MF.

Free speech comes with responsibility...and arseholes unfortunately. We fought wars to make it so.

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

That’s a pity …anyone coming on as a guest and seeing that tirade would wonder what the hell is this site all about .

I think most sites suffer from this sort of behaviour at times (or indeed all the time if you're IOM Newspapers).  You'd have to be pretty naïve in the use of social media not to have experienced the deranged on the range.  Most people just ignore it and refuse to react - because such types regard any sort of interaction as a victory, because what they really hate is being ignored.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

As this clown will surely try and register again, isn’t it about time any new applicant should pay £10 for the pleasure. Probably won’t stop them but at least they’ll have to pay for the privilege.

I thought he made some very well thought out points 😂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I think most sites suffer from this sort of behaviour at times (or indeed all the time if you're IOM Newspapers).  You'd have to be pretty naïve in the use of social media not to have experienced the deranged on the range.  Most people just ignore it and refuse to react - because such types regard any sort of interaction as a victory, because what they really hate is being ignored.

There some interesting points you raise. I’m sorry but I find the level of abuse and language totally unacceptable . And more so as it seemingly aimed at whoever was on the site at the time. We all rant or make it clear where not happy but that was several steps to far. Call it naive if you like but sorry that language isn’t acceptable here or anywhere else.  And no I haven’t experienced that level before on other sites. I understand your comments about just ignore and don’t respond . But sorry it shouldn’t ever be said in the first place. I respect you Roger and what you bring to the table but can’t agree with your seemingly attempt that we should accept it as it happens elsewear . 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I work in construction and have done for many years. Generally the TT is good for construction, apart from extra  work associated with it, it's traditional for pretty much everyone in construction to have the week off, which is more efficient than different people having a week off in dribs and drabs.

As for the bank holiday, I've absolutely no doubt there is a cost to the economy - but then we have one for no better reason than it being early May, or late August, at least this one serves some purpose.

One thing you are ignoring though is the cultural importance of the races to the island. Motorcycle road racing is a huge part of the history, culture and folklore of the island and has been longer than anyone can remember. It brings tourists from far further afield than would otherwise be the case and is an important part of the island's identity. It's part of what makes the island what it is.

Not only that, it's played an important role in the history and development of motorcycling and continues to be revered amongst bikers the world over.

It's significance is sometimes wasted on people whose only concern is well established road closures.

The TT may have a cultural importance etc to the Island but the point I was responding to was your statement that "I think generally the impact of the TT on businesses is very positive." My view is that away from tourism/hospitality it is probably mainly neutral at best and tour response does not address that. 

If you look at the major business sectors in the Isle of Man, insurance, finance, e-gaming I doubt that the TT has a "very positive" effect on the bottom line.

You can make other arguments in favour of the TT but it being very positive for most businesses is not one but I am more that happy to read an explanation why my view is wrong and why the TT has a positive effect on the bottom line for most IoM business rather than just for a couple of sectors. 

7 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

There some interesting points you raise. I’m sorry but I find the level of abuse and language totally unacceptable . And more so as it seemingly aimed at whoever was on the site at the time. We all rant or make it clear where not happy but that was several steps to far. Call it naive if you like but sorry that language isn’t acceptable here or anywhere else.  And no I haven’t experienced that level before on other sites. I understand your comments about just ignore and don’t respond . But sorry it shouldn’t ever be said in the first place. I respect you Roger and what you bring to the table but can’t agree with your seemingly attempt that we should accept it as it happens elsewear . 

I'm not saying we should accept it, the opposite really.  Just by interacting with such people we are to some extent accepting them, by acknowledging they are there.  They're the online equivalent of someone going round a pub trying to pick fights with everyone, at least online it's easier and less dangerous to ignore them.  And just wait till the mods, those online bouncers, throw them out and delete all their content.

• Like 1