TT 2024

Andy Onchan

3 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

Perhaps unpopular opinion but my view is the more 'dependent' a business is on TT trade the lower its overall quality of offerings, as what does well in TT (volume, fast, easy) is not necessarily what people are after the rest of the year. Sustainable season wide growth goes out of the window when there is the opportunity to 'cram them in' for 2 weeks.

I don't think that's the case really, most businesses don't necessarily depend on the TT, but it does give them a boost which shields them from the other fifty weeks of uncertainty to a degree. 

• Like 1

.... but  a 'valuable' business does not rely on two week period? Can't blame anyone for making the best of the TT but a year round business has to have ' what it takes'?

Two weeks cannot make up for a 50 week failure to supply???

And here we are, iTT's over for anoTTher year. Two weeks of harder work than usual (I work in a restaurant that is relatively busy all year round, but has seen an even busier TT period than the past few years, using the "all year round" menu with no price rises, lo and behold).

Was walking to work this afternoon ("running on fumes"), when I got into town, so many people still around, started cheering towards me, saying "well done". I was thinking bloody hell, as hard as I worked, it was only serving dinner!!! And then I realised that Michael Dunlop was walking near me!!! 

This beautiful island is so, so special (despite the corrupt politicians, not because of them).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kopek said:

.... but  a 'valuable' business does not rely on two week period? Can't blame anyone for making the best of the TT but a year round business has to have ' what it takes'?

Is it not a case of 50 weeks of having to survive, servicing skint locals vs 2 weeks of servicing TT fans who have saved hard all year to come and spend and have a blowout during their holiday?

Whilst those skint locals, if they are managing to save at all, will probably holiday off-island?

8 hours ago, Kopek said:

some do , TT can be most of the years profit , the rest of the year you're just paying wages and bills.

21 minutes ago, Casta said:

Home Run Pizza in Broadway has reopened after being closed TT. 

I would imagine that the vast majority of the business is delivery with very few walkins.

It probably makes sense to close then the roads and traffic mean you can’t provide a decent service to your customers.  They might have even had a pop up at a camp site or something which would be more profitable.

25 minutes ago, Casta said:

They’re delivery only. No eat in. I can understand a business decision to close with the uncertainty of when roads may or may not be open and delayed delivery due to congestion.

Is it any different to Tesco closing down home grocery delivery for the fortnight? Or Terrace Chippy suspending its delivery service for the fortnight.

We had friends over. They wanted fish & chips. Ordered on line for delivery, took 2 hours from central Douglas to top end Vicarage Road 

25 minutes ago, Casta said:

3 minutes ago, Roger Ram said:

I would imagine that the vast majority of the business is delivery with very few walkins.

It probably makes sense to close then the roads and traffic mean you can’t provide a decent service to your customers.  They might have even had a pop up at a camp site or something which would be more profitable.

Most of the takeaways specifically stop doing deliveries during TT. 

That makes sense. The takeaway business has been tremendous in years gone by, queues out the door most of the time, but there again there were bikes parked all the way up Broadway when there were guest houses everywhere in Douglas, instead of flats. It's a sign of the times.

They use cars for delivery and that must be a nightmare TT, stuck in Promenade/Broadway/Victoria Road. They need some of those electric delivery bikes in TT that you see wizzing about cities these days. (ie the ones that ride on pavements, go through red lights etc).

Anyway, yes, I see there are reasons for just closing TT.

Thanks for the clarifications.

Edited by Casta

10 minutes ago, When Skies are Grey V2 said:

thats a macabre flex......but a flex nonetheless I guess.

It's going to make it awkward for certain people to refer to it as a death race. 

37 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

It's going to make it awkward for certain people to refer to it as a death race. 

287 in total at the moment but TT fans don’t count them.  It’s still a very lumpy carpet. 

• Haha 1