TT 2024

Andy Onchan

Racing is ace. It’s awesome to watch. Some people get hurt. Some people die. Those who love it love it (I’m one of them). It brings the island lots of money. It’s not for everyone. Neither is lots of things. It’s part of island life.  People die doing lots of things. Does that sum up this thread?  It’s getting boring. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But you're confusing two things.  We've had three years of no deaths on public roads during the TT festival, but there were six deaths from racing in 2022 and three in 2023.  It's too early to claim some sort of pattern I'm afraid.  And the record over longer periods doesn't really show an improvement over the decades:

undefined

Unlike most health and safety matters, or indeed general road safety deaths.

Although war deaths are rising exponentially. This or road traffic, health and safety deaths don't provide a useful comparison anyway, none are particularly comparable. What they do do is provide perspective, especially for those claiming outrage by the untimely death of people they've never heard of.image.thumb.png.e4cedb0b43fbcba607c9d3ed76e7a4b0.png

Edited by A fool and his money.....
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Although war deaths are rising exponentially. This or road traffic, health and safety deaths don't provide a useful comparison anyway, none are particularly comparable. What they do do is provide perspective, especially for those claiming outrage by the untimely death of people they've never heard of.image.thumb.png.e4cedb0b43fbcba607c9d3ed76e7a4b0.png

FFS.

Just now, A fool and his money..... said:

Although war deaths are rising exponentially. This or road traffic, health and safety deaths don't provide a useful comparison anyway...

Clearly the one thing linking all of these is climate change. That, and the downward sales trend of margarine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Mr. Sausages said:

Ted Bundy would have gotten away with it if he brought up Korea and Vietnam in his defence.

That's the point though, he wouldn't would he?

Whereas if he'd killed a load of people while serving in the US army in Korea or Vietnam, he'd not only have got away with it, he'd have likely been hailed a hero.

As far as I'm concerned you either find untimely death unacceptable or you don't. Too many people want to play God and decide where it's acceptable and where it is not, invariably the main influence being self interest.

3 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

As far as I'm concerned you either find untimely death unacceptable or you don't.

Good for you.

4 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Too many people want to play God and decide where it's acceptable and where it is not

But you’ve apparently decided that it’s acceptable in the context of the TT…should we be worshipping you now?

4 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I haven't though. Don't put words in my mouth.

You made this assertion:

13 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

As far as I'm concerned you either find untimely death unacceptable or you don't.

Which side of your own assertion do you come down on?  Asking directly so as not to put words in your mouth.

Edited by Jarndyce

2 hours ago, Steve_Christian said:

Racing is ace. It’s awesome to watch. Some people get hurt. Some people die. Those who love it love it (I’m one of them). It brings the island lots of money. It’s not for everyone. Neither is lots of things. It’s part of island life.  People die doing lots of things. Does that sum up this thread?  It’s getting boring. 

It’s hard to argue with this post, even though I dont take much of an interest in the racing.

• Like 1