Don't get me wrong, I love the horse trams... I do... clip-clop-clip-clop

HelmutX

However, if they decide to reinstate the Broadway<->Sea terminal line then there' another 5 years disruption for Promenade/shops and visitors..... Bring in the Japan wokforce (pun intended!) and get it sorted in 5 days!

Chris Thomas has been on FB claiming that Tynwald voted in June 2020 to curtail the line at Broadway.

If so, why the ruckus in that establishment that the line should have finished at the Sea Terminal for which funding was made available at least twice if my memory serves me?

13 minutes ago, Venus said:

Should have been put on the seaside, not in the middle of the road. I don't know what they were thinking.

Broadway to Sea Terminal won't be in the middle of the road - It's going in the grass strip between the sunken gardens and the parking

Whole thing should have gone on the walkway, which was designed for 100,000 promenaders and nowadays only attracts a handful. I remember suggesting it on my radio show and Murray Lambden (IIRC) wrote to the Manx Radio MD insisting that I be fired for my impertinence.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Whole thing should have gone on the walkway, which was designed for 100,000 promenaders and nowadays only attracts a handful. I remember suggesting it on my radio show and Murray Lambden (IIRC) wrote to the Manx Radio MD insisting that I be fired for my impertinence.

Or they should have just stuck tyres on the wheels and ditched the rails altogether. 

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, BillyNoMates said:

one day i wa nt a job like the doi bus guy know nothing screw up and get big pension. awesome

All the posts of that type in Govt are already filled unfortunately.

The Horsey trams are a joke.

But if you're joking, you may as well go balls deep and go for a big one. 

Let's take them all the way from Ramsey to Douglas for the full equine commuting experience. 

It'll take hours, but we could speed it up by have Pony Express style pitstops to swap the exhausted horses.  They could take over some dilapidated buildings near the tramlines in Maughold, Laxey, Baldrine and let them fall further into a state of disrepair.

Maybe we could harness some Wallabies like dogsleds? 

Edited by The Phantom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Venus said:

Should have been put on the seaside, not in the middle of the road. I don't know what they were thinking.

The fact Beard'y wanted to run electric trams(another reason it cost long millions for the track)may have something to do with it, as in keeping pedestrians separated from tramway ? And reduce need for barriers.

2 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Whole thing should have gone on the walkway,

The horses do not go at a slow walk, they go at a trot. The wheels are flanged steel running on steel rails.

If a doddering old ManForumer staggers out in front of a tram and gets kicked in the head by a steel-shod horse hoof, what are the likely injuries going to be?

If a child, or even an adult, somehow ends up under the tram, what are the likely injuries to be (note that flanged steel wheels on steel rails act like a big pair of scissors, and consequently modern trams have skirts down to the ground).

A tram enthusiast told me that in the early days of the MER a conductor got run over by a trailer - and was decapitated.

Has a safety analysis been carried out?

If someone gets run over on a normal road, the response is "That's not too good, but we need roads"  and things continue.

If one of the above type of accidents occurs, the gov. will say "Bugger - didn't think of that" and shut it down - not to mention getting sued by the parents of a child that has lost both legs - or its head.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1