Don't get me wrong, I love the horse trams... I do... clip-clop-clip-clop

HelmutX

56 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

The horses do not go at a slow walk, they go at a trot. The wheels are flanged steel running on steel rails.

If a doddering old ManForumer staggers out in front of a tram and gets kicked in the head by a steel-shod horse hoof, what are the likely injuries going to be?

If a child, or even an adult, somehow ends up under the tram, what are the likely injuries to be (note that flanged steel wheels on steel rails act like a big pair of scissors, and consequently modern trams have skirts down to the ground).

A tram enthusiast told me that in the early days of the MER a conductor got run over by a trailer - and was decapitated.

Has a safety analysis been carried out?

If someone gets run over on a normal road, the response is "That's not too good, but we need roads"  and things continue.

If one of the above type of accidents occurs, the gov. will say "Bugger - didn't think of that" and shut it down - not to mention getting sued by the parents of a child that has lost both legs - or its head.

So, what speed is a trot? 10mph? Are horse trams silent assassins that materialise unexpectedly from the Victorian smog? If I inadvertently fell under the flanged wheels of a horse tram and was decapitated I would write it off as Natural Selection. How many annual decapitations do we get with them running down the middle of a busy road I wonder?

• Like 3

Chop the trams up for some firewood to keep some pensioners warm this winter and you'll get a few tins of dog food out of the horses. I'm keeping pensioners and their pets happy while saving the £300,000 loss per year.

Vote for me at the next election.

ETA: and saving children from losing limbs. 

Edited by slinkydevil
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

How many annual decapitations do we get with them running down the middle of a busy road I wonder?

There are no pedestrians wandering along the middle of the road.

2 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

If I inadvertently fell under the flanged wheels of a horse tram and was decapitated I would write it off as Natural Selection

Do you think this arrangement would meet current safety standards?

Mr Peters, you are posting here as an MHK - £71,000 worth of tax-payers money.  That you do not see a problem here would seem typical of the way MHKs think.

I do not think that arrangement would pass an current safety rules, and even if it did the first accident would put an end to it.

18 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

Chop the trams up for some firewood to keep some pensioners warm this winter and you'll get a few tins of dog food out of the horses. I'm keeping pensioners and their pets happy while saving the £300,000 loss per year.

Vote for me at the next election.

ETA: and saving children from losing limbs. 

You're all heart! Always thinking of others! 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

There are no pedestrians wandering along the middle of the road.

Do you think this arrangement would meet current safety standards?

Mr Peters, you are posting here as an MHK - £71,000 worth of tax-payers money.  That you do not see a problem here would seem typical of the way MHKs think.

I do not think that arrangement would pass an current safety rules, and even if it did the first accident would put an end to it.

Same safety standards as electric trams in many cities globally.

Although you'd at least get a clip clop warning noise, rather than a quiet hum.

2 hours ago, Two-lane said:

The horses do not go at a slow walk, they go at a trot. The wheels are flanged steel running on steel rails.

If a doddering old ManForumer staggers out in front of a tram and gets kicked in the head by a steel-shod horse hoof, what are the likely injuries going to be?

If a child, or even an adult, somehow ends up under the tram, what are the likely injuries to be (note that flanged steel wheels on steel rails act like a big pair of scissors, and consequently modern trams have skirts down to the ground).

A tram enthusiast told me that in the early days of the MER a conductor got run over by a trailer - and was decapitated.

Has a safety analysis been carried out?

If someone gets run over on a normal road, the response is "That's not too good, but we need roads"  and things continue.

If one of the above type of accidents occurs, the gov. will say "Bugger - didn't think of that" and shut it down - not to mention getting sued by the parents of a child that has lost both legs - or its head.

Jeeeeeezzzzzz. 

Quick everyone somebody let Manchester trams know they are running a murderous tramway. 

never read such buffoonery. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

If I inadvertently fell under the flanged wheels of a horse tram and was decapitated I would write it off as Natural Selection. How many annual decapitations do we get with them running down the middle of a busy road I wonder?

Ooh you paint such a picture with words, perhaps you could offer to do a horsetram safety video...