Closure of Southern Swimming Pool

Major Rushen

Just now, Non-Believer said:

I think the old proposal was to simply shut the pool on financial grounds. The new proposal partly involves more financial input from local Rates to keep it open at least a little longer.

No, the southern swimming board clearly sent in an old proposal for funding , they have now under the wonderful eyes of their MHK's sent in a new proposal keeping to the old subvention, obviously finding extra funding from elsewhere, like increasing the rates payment. I think the old subvention payment was always there, it has had to be. Like I have posted before the board was playing a silly game, thinking they could force an increase. Not expecting a recommendation to shut the pool.  

• Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, Holte End said:

No, the southern swimming board clearly sent in an old proposal for funding , they have now under the wonderful eyes of their MHK's sent in a new proposal keeping to the old subvention, obviously finding extra funding from elsewhere, like increasing the rates payment. I think the old subvention payment was always there, it has had to be. Like I have posted before the board was playing a silly game, thinking they could force an increase. Not expecting a recommendation to shut the pool.  

I think this was their strategy...

shirtblack.jpg

2 hours ago, Holte End said:

Is there any evidence of this? The press release from the board that I posted last week in this thread explicitly denies asking for an increase. Extract below:

The Southern Swimming Pool Board (SSPB) would like to reiterate that it has not asked for an increase in subvention payment. The report suggests that an additional £220,682 was requested. It was not. Indeed, the SSPB subvention payment has been frozen for the last 3 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woolley said:

Is there any evidence of this? The press release from the board that I posted last week in this thread explicitly denies asking for an increase. Extract below:

The Southern Swimming Pool Board (SSPB) would like to reiterate that it has not asked for an increase in subvention payment. The report suggests that an additional £220,682 was requested. It was not. Indeed, the SSPB subvention payment has been frozen for the last 3 years.

So why did they put in a new proposal in, Why does the report say " that follows a 'workable' proposal put forward by the Southern Swimming Pool Board and MHKs and local authorities in the south".  If they didn't ask for an increase in the subvention, what the hell was unworkable. DESC have been giving the subvention payment for the last three years, why would they stop now. It doesn't add up. The only conclusion without the southern swimming pool leaking the old proposal, is to think they asked for an increase.

1 minute ago, Holte End said:

So why did they put in a new proposal in, Why does the report say " that follows a 'workable' proposal put forward by the Southern Swimming Pool Board and MHKs and local authorities in the south".  If they didn't ask for an increase in the subvention, what the hell was unworkable. DESC have been giving the subvention payment for the last three years, why would they stop now. It doesn't add up. The only conclusion without the southern swimming pool leaking the old proposal, is to think they asked for an increase.

They'd have egg on their face big time though, wouldn't they? I know barefaced "mis-speaking" seems to be the fashion nowadays, but to go on the record in writing with a flat denial? I don't think so.

1 minute ago, woolley said:

They'd have egg on their face big time though, wouldn't they? I know barefaced "mis-speaking" seems to be the fashion nowadays, but to go on the record in writing with a flat denial? I don't think so.

I think " mis-speaking" is a very good term, If they didn't ask for an increase in the subvention, what did they ask for, which was unworkable.  I think they did ask for more money, they will come back with something like " we asked for same subvention (as we have had for the last three years) + miscellaneous sundry expense."  More a play on words than mis-speaking, but I could be wrong. 

4 hours ago, Holte End said:

Why does the report say " that follows a 'workable' proposal put forward by the Southern Swimming Pool Board and MHKs and local authorities in the south".

Because the desc are 'wriggling'??

5 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Terminology.

No fact.  The board and MHK's press statement said they had put in a new proposal, not desc, like I have said , what were the old proposal that was unworkable. They haven't leaked them have they like the letter. 

Edited by Holte End

41 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

There has been a very telling press release by the Southern swimming pool which has been published by Manx Radio on Facebook which shows Edge up in a very poor light.  

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/southern-pools-board-disputes-claims-from-education-minister/

Yet another kick in the goolies for Treasury/DESC.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

There has been a very telling press release by the Southern swimming pool which has been published by Manx Radio on Facebook which shows Edge up in a very poor light.  

2 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

"The Southern Swimming Pool Board says any stress and anxiety its staff experienced due to the potential closure of the pool was caused by government and not by a leaked letter revealing the plan".

• Like 1