Closure of Southern Swimming Pool

Major Rushen

8 minutes ago, Hairy Poppins said:

If you drive to the ferry and it's dark then you're using streetlights funded by Douglas ratepayers. 

If you shop in Strand Street then you benefit from street cleaning funded by Douglas ratepayers. You may also enjoy one of the excellent events put on by the wonderful Douglas City Centre Management also funded by ratepayers. 

If you drive to the Hospital at nightime then you are using streetlights funded by Braddan ratepayers. 

All these examples are silly, because the current system is so laughable. There has to be a better way and a fairer settlement to provide these services. 

Southerners could always move to Douglas and pay Douglas rates if they want a pool on their doorstep. 

The library?

On 1/12/2024 at 2:12 AM, The Bastard said:

It's not a "vital lifeline" or "vital community investment" - if the pools closed, life would go on, people would go elsewhere.

If people are so concerned, maybe they should form a company and try running a pool themselves, or mimic the experience by sitting in a urine-tinted bath burning £50 notes.

There's already a hydrotherapy pool specifically designed for the needs of disabled people on Glencrutchery Road in Douglas, which is no more than half an hour away from the majority of the population. 

It's ridiculous for an island with the population of a small town in the UK to be spending millions of pounds annually on multiple swimming pools, just based on an imaginary requirement for a handful of people with mobility issues, that could use an already-extant purpose-built facility instead.

Ballalkermeen also has it's own pool too.

18 minutes ago, Hairy Poppins said:

If you shop in Strand Street then you benefit from street cleaning funded by Douglas ratepayers.

If I shop in Strand Street then some of my spend is passed to DCC and their cleaning regime by way of business Rates paid by the business concerned.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, asitis said:

On an island, obviously surrounded by water, every kid, whether they can afford swimming lessons or not, should be taught to swim !

Or alternatively should be taught not to go in  the water if they can’t swim.

Same as every kid in Nepal doesn’t need to be taught how to climb Mount Everest.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

If I shop in Strand Street then some of my spend is passed to DCC and their cleaning regime by way of business Rates paid by the business concerned.

Quite right. So the country bumpkins are in fact subsidising the excesses of Douglas.

12 minutes ago, Banker said:

The rise will mean the pool can continue on a “make do and mend” basis, with no additional revenue or capital funding.”

“However, it’s accepted that this plan won’t work in the event of a major plant failure or significant unforeseen expenditure.”

Completely pointless then.  Also still has to be voted through by the various commissioners and I would imagine there will be significant opposition.

The proposal will now be presented to the education and treasury ministers, who will review the plan and make a decision on the pool’s immediate future.”

Who will look at the bigger picture as they have already and hopefully reject it.

If they don’t and backtrack, then they are spineless and should resign.

13 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

The rise will mean the pool can continue on a “make do and mend” basis, with no additional revenue or capital funding.”

“However, it’s accepted that this plan won’t work in the event of a major plant failure or significant unforeseen expenditure.”

Completely pointless then.  Also still has to be voted through by the various commissioners and I would imagine there will be significant opposition.

The proposal will now be presented to the education and treasury ministers, who will review the plan and make a decision on the pool’s immediate future.”

Who will look at the bigger picture as they have already and hopefully reject it.

Just put rates up by 20p or whatever needed to fund the losses if they’re that keen to keep it!!

3 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

I don't understand your motivation for not supporting people to find a solution so that the service continues and 750 youngsters can continue sessions in the south and won't have to be bussed to Douglas (at what cost?). You claim to be in the private sector, but everything you post parrots the worst of big government excess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Won't the fat insulate the heat? 

The fat and sweat produces more grease which raises the water purification costs.

• Haha 1