Closure of Southern Swimming Pool

Major Rushen

41 minutes ago, woolley said:

I don't understand your motivation for not supporting people to find a solution so that the service continues and 750 youngsters can continue sessions in the south and won't have to be bussed to Douglas (at what cost?). You claim to be in the private sector, but everything you post parrots the worst of big government excess.

Surely the worst of big government excess, is a government run and funded pool for such a small number of people and which costs so much money when there are much better ones which are also underutilised just up the road?

Edited by CrazyDave

3 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Surely the worst of big government excess, is a government run and funded pool for such a small number of people and which costs so much money when there are much better ones which are also underutilised just up the road?

No. The worst of government excess is the ever increasing size of departmental empires presided over by highly paid executives. Southern Swimming Pool costs buttons by comparison.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Just up the road….not quite.    The busses do not come cheap it is quite expensive to hire one and what about the general public who have to endure lectures on being healthy, keeping fit etc especially this time of the year.    Swimming is the best excercise young and old can take and to consider taking this amenity away from people is scandalous.    I do think however the pool should be open on a Sunday especially in the winter months when the weather is bad and people are looking for something to do.   To increase footfall how about some free taster sessions get some enthusiasm going for swimming and all the health benefits it brings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The idea of an all island leisure rate (stealth tax) is a concern that I hope doesn't progress.  First it will be to fund the pools....then cycle paths and then Bill Dale will want a piece for the footpaths and on on

28 minutes ago, Kopek said:

How can Tynwald debate this if the DESC don't know or reveal the cost of Bussing the kids to other pools?

The cost of bussing kids to other schools is like an internal transfer in a big business.  It might cost DESC, but it then makes the busses more sustainable and reduces losses in DOI.

Its really not a significant consideration.

They're (Govt) just desperate to make cuts and wield the knife on anything but themselves, there's no thinking about anything else going on and it's all short term.

However politicians here are terrified of upsetting the public, not only from a "seats" point of view. They fear unrest and public protest. They buckle every time.

It's still to be partially funded by a Rates rise though so residents of the local patches will be stumping up more to keep it open.

Let’s be real here.

They haven’t done a u turn because they were wrong.  They have i turned due to public and political pressure form people looking at it with only an emotional head rather than a sensible one.

Closing Castletown pool was absolutely the right thing to do, and probably Ramsey as well.

Some face saving going on here as the Southern swimming Pool Board said they did not need £431K as £188K is depreciation..

I support the pool staying open until another is built with the new school and the SOS team should be congratulated for a well fought campaign. Power of the small people.

Performance of the DESC is very poor. I think they thought they could just put a package together and it would be nodded thru. The package was full of mistakes and assumptions, not fully costed. They completely underestimated the reaction from the people who use it and how loud their voice would be.

A lesson that if you are mad a Gov get together and tell them.