Closure of Southern Swimming Pool

Major Rushen

''Minister Edge'' !!!

Stop cow towing to these people, it's Mrs Edge, formal, or Julie as a representative of the 'people', we put her there to represent us, we do not owe her any elevation in her status  above polite reference!!

Right Honorable my arse!!!! 😀

• Like 1

Stu P is an oddity in politics, whether you agree with him or not, he does tend to 'shoot from the hip', much like Phil Gawne used to, just tell the truth nevermind the CS trying to get you to toe the Govt line.

Don't turn this into an anti Gawne argument, it's about our representatives speaking freely and possible with sense, asking the right questions of the Govt to maybe, find solutions to the questions we on our small world of MF are posing!!!

Untill we get 80% of our electorate voting, it's an easily rejected opinion?

So, let's start there?

Edited by Kopek

45 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Perhaps I can help you as an ex PS and one still with rels in there.

Firstly, we need to distinguish between the PS in general and the CS. By PS I mean the hands on gang, the "bottom feeders", out in all weathers and who have borne the brunt of any "Public Sector Cuts", leaving both their numbers and services reduced.

Now we need to look at the CS. This has grown exponentially in the last 15 years, huge increases in numbers, maybe in excess of 20%. It's been examined and found to be unsustainable. Mechanisms and criteria have been applied to reduce it and have been roundly ignored by it. Entities have been created which need further huge numbers, Cabinet Office for example. How did we ever do without it?

Now we need to look at the T&Cs that it, itself works out and applies to its huge structure. In respect of that, the numbers required to staff sections and Depts by the self-produced book rather than the workload. Say, 10 when there's actually only enough work for 4 (or would be in the private sector). Then factor that the more people you have under you, the more rank and pay you are entitled to under those self-produced T&Cs. Ripe and fertile for the empires.

When you've worked in there and seen it, then you understand it.

Much of what is said on these boards may not come from that experience, true. But it doesn't mean that it's wide of the mark.

Someone posted a photo of the civil service dating from (I think) 1980 and if I recall correctly there was a whole 29 of them and now we have many thousands of the buggers!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, 2112 said:

If Minister Edge has capitulated and made a u turn, I can see other Ministers who make unpopular decisions, coming up against the same level of opposition, and no doubt they will cave in. 

Just look at DOI, they were going to demolish those ringy-infested houses on the bottom of Summmerhill - Tramway Terrace. Virtually collapsing in on themselves and made out of crap quality Manx quarry waste...

A couple of historians email them and now they've no clue what to do.

1 minute ago, finlo said:

Spoken like a true civil servant!

The department of tourism in 1980 was probably more people than that.

I am Not, and babe never been a civil servant.

Are you seriously suggesting that in 1980 the tax office, DHSS, tourism, Harbours, DEFA or whatever they were called back then was less than the size of a primary school class?

Dont talk crap.