Closure of Southern Swimming Pool

Major Rushen

58 minutes ago, woolley said:

Eh? You do know that the "tax take" is a small percentage of the salary being shelled out? I

You do know that tax taken from a working person at source is only a part of that persons tax and overall economic contribution to the island?

You take that income away and start paying them benefits instead and the overall cost to the island is much, much more than the loss of their tax and NO taken at source.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

You do know that tax taken from a working person at source is only a part of that persons tax and overall economic contribution to the island?

You take that income away and start paying them benefits instead and the overall cost to the island is much, much more than the loss of their tax and NO taken at source.

Could you do me a cost benefit analysis on this and show your calculations please? Because it seems to me that we are paying 100% of the salary plus employers NI and pension contributions. However much economic contribution accrues down the line, it cannot amount to anything like the outlay.

8 minutes ago, woolley said:

Could you do me a cost benefit analysis on this and show your calculations please? Because it seems to me that we are paying 100% of the salary plus employers NI and pension contributions. However much economic contribution accrues down the line, it cannot amount to anything like the outlay.

You are doing it again.  Reading things that aren’t there.

• Confused 1

The only viable reason that I can see for such a number of people being paid from the public purse (and notwithstanding any local taxation coming back in) is that their economic activity increases the VAT take which benefits us via the FERSA.

Whether you're paying them large salaries out of the public purse or smaller benefits from the public purse, the source remains the same. What will be affected most via the latter is their spend in the economy which duly contributes to the VAT figure. It will be less if they're put on bennies.

The problem is that at the moment the PS wage bill would appear to be exceeding the FERSA return which duly contributes to the increasingly necessary drawdowns from reserves. 

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit

8 minutes ago, woolley said:

Surely the employee is paying something like 20% income tax, c11% NI and whatever pension contribution directly back to government at source, therefore it could well be the case that the government gets back towards 40p in every £1 it pays out in wages, before a penny is spent and taxed indirectly?

15 minutes ago, Meoir Shee said:

Surely the employee is paying something like 20% income tax, c11% NI and whatever pension contribution directly back to government at source, therefore it could well be the case that the government gets back towards 40p in every £1 it pays out in wages, before a penny is spent and taxed indirectly?

Plus VAT, fuel duty, booze duty, profits into local businesses who then pay their own tax, and staff where the whole circle starts again.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Banker said:

Who’s your choice then? What services would you cut to save money?

Why would any services be cut,  reducing head count in a cs office from 10 to 7 should not have any impact. The remaining 7 up there game and actually have to do a little extra, they are not cleaning toilets or washing floors they are not even shuffling paper any more just typing on a keyboard. So why would that have any impact on services, unless you think as soon as they sit down at their pit face i.e. computer monitor and keyboard there fingers never stop typing for 8 hours. Apart from the lunch 30minutes(read going into town for an hour and having lunch on return)and the 10 minute break in the morning. Afternoon break not compulsory . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrazyDave said:

You appear to be assuming that they would be unemployable elsewhere.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

You appear to be assuming that they would be unemployable elsewhere.

After years in the civil service.  Yeah, probably.  

I doubt many would last long in a place with a proper work ethic and where people need to just muck in a do what needs doing rather than sticking to very defined roles.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, NoTail said:

So now we have a new fun tax.

The budget in February will have some other extra/new tax shocks as well. Not looking good for the man on the Broadway omnibus. 

I think the extra/new taxes will impact the higher earners more although if NI maximum threshold is increased as it should be then more earners over £45k as they only pay 1% on excess .

1 hour ago, Major Rushen said:

@Stu peters manin line….. people from the south hop on a bus to Peel..

oh yes bus to Douglas and then to Peel a day out.

Stu Peters MHK must hold the records for the shortest time and most thorough assimilations looking back at the platforms he stood on for election in 2021. Possibly the most willing as well.

With the possible exception of the proposed new Villa sound system, I'm trying to think if there's anything imposed on the taxpayers that he's actually opposed during his term to date?

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Stu Peters MHK must hold the records for the shortest time and most thorough assimilations looking back at the platforms he stood on for election in 2021. Possibly the most willing as well.

With the possible exception of the proposed new Villa sound system, I'm trying to think if there's anything imposed on the taxpayers that he's actually opposed during his term to date?

That is only because he is deaf as a post and didn't see the point.