Closure of Southern Swimming Pool

Major Rushen

3 minutes ago, 2112 said:

…………….. and a new school ………. and a new ……..

We need to get away from everything being replicated all over the island.

Build one central sixth form unit and free space up in the local schools.

Sixth formers are quite capable of travelling to lessons, and in fact many of them have lessons at more than one school already.

Four swimming pools is bonkers.  Numerous sixth form suites is bonkers etc etc.

Centralise things and make them bigger.

• Like 1

I suppose this isn't the best time to discuss potentially re-doing one of the sea swimming pools?

With the rise the cold water swimming amongst a certain demographic, it would be pretty popular and I've heard a few mutterings. 

10 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I suppose this isn't the best time to discuss potentially re-doing one of the sea swimming pools?

With the rise the cold water swimming amongst a certain demographic, it would be pretty popular and I've heard a few mutterings. 

isn't part of the attraction of salt water sea swimming is that you do it  in the sea  as a group with all your mates  ?

7 minutes ago, Omobono said:

isn't part of the attraction of salt water sea swimming is that you do it  in the sea  as a group with all your mates  ?

No idea, I'm not a middle aged woman.

But you could do that with the sea pools too surely.  Would just provide some better options if it's stormy or the tide is out.  I suspect they'd have to make them private clubs or something maybe nowadays, as health and safety would might demand some sort of lifeguards? 

2 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

What a load of crap.

Does this really go to a tynwald vote?  That’s insane, Haywood, Glover and all the southerners will just vote against it even if really they know it’s the sensible thing to do.

So? There's only 4 of them. (Well 5 if you count Stu - but I doubt he's against a proposal that would mean less exercise and more car travel). 

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Declan said:

So? There's only 4 of them. (Well 5 if you count Stu - but I doubt he's against a proposal that would mean less exercise and more car travel). 

Others will also vote against it because they will see it as the popular thing to do, when in reality anyone with half a brain and a calculator can see it needs to close.

12 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Others will also vote against it because they will see it as the popular thing to do, when in reality anyone with half a brain and a calculator can see it needs to close.

Personally, my opinion is ambiguous on the matter. It seems a shame to reduce services in local areas.  I'm not convinced that our finances are so bad that public services should be allowed to crumble, particularly given some of the other expenditure that goes on. The hysterical clucking from those calling this a "no-brain" decision is coming from the usual headless chickens. But this swimming pool not a priority for me. Let's hear the economic case first. 

Anyway, I doubt the populist vote outside the South is for keeping the Southern Swimming Pool. It's closure won't lose many votes in Kirk Michael. 

23 minutes ago, Declan said:

Personally, my opinion is ambiguous on the matter. It seems a shame to reduce services in local areas.  I'm not convinced that our finances are so bad that public services should be allowed to crumble, particularly given some of the other expenditure that goes on. The hysterical clucking from those calling this a "no-brain" decision is coming from the usual headless chickens. But this swimming pool not a priority for me. Let's hear the economic case first. 

Anyway, I doubt the populist vote outside the South is for keeping the Southern Swimming Pool. It's closure won't lose many votes in Kirk Michael. 

It’s hardly allowing public services to crumble when you a restrict a population of 85k to only three purpose built, multi million pound modern swimming pools 😂

4 minutes ago, Holte End said:

Isn't their seven government owned swimming pool on the island.

Possibly.

Is Ballakermeen still there, Glencruthery?

There are currently four that are readily accessible to the public.  NSC, Castletown, Ramsey and Peel.

Thats bonkers.  If we still have more that we are also paying for then that is even bonkerer 

Utilise the NSC properly and close the rest.  Simple

6 minutes ago, Holte End said:

Isn't their seven government owned swimming pool on the island.

4 public ones. 

There are some others lurking about such as the one at Ballakermeen, which whilst Govt owned, isn't really public.  Maybe some hydrotherapy types ones with Manx Care.  Is the Sefton still got Govt as a shareholder? 

King Bills has one, but again not really public. 

Where are the rest?