Closure of Southern Swimming Pool

Major Rushen

1 hour ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Discussion on Manx Radio with Julie Edge and Tony Brown. Implied there should be a destination sports centre for the south-not just a swimming pool.

https://www.manxradio.com/podcasts/perspective/episode/perspective-28-1-24-the-political-machinations-of-the-southern-swimming-pool/

I’m sure before long, there will be campaign spearheaded by Moorehouse and Glover, for the South to have its own hospital facilities with a A&E unit. They will point to Ramsey. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

I’m sure before long, there will be campaign spearheaded by Moorehouse and Glover, for the South to have its own hospital facilities with a A&E unit. They will point to Ramsey. 

The plan is to have Well-Being Hubs in the North, South, East and West.

https://www.gov.im/about-the-government/statutory-boards/manx-care/integrated-care/wellbeing-partnerships/#accordion

We are still waiting for one in the East ie Douglas.

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

Why not? 

It's no more silly than Ramsey having It's own A&E.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, 2112 said:

Ramsey does not have A&E it has a minor injury unit.

If you had taken a shotgun round to the face like Moorehouse did you would be heading for Nobles not Ramsey Cottage

Edited by Blade Runner

1 hour ago, Blade Runner said:

Ramsey does not have A&E it has a minor injury unit.

If you had taken a shotgun round to the face like Moorehouse did you would be heading for Nobles not Ramsey Cottage

I had an accident the other week that was somewhat of an emergency (blood everywhere) went to Ramsey Cottage hospital and they sorted me out.

When were you last in there out of interest?

• Haha 1

Various Southern Commissioners are saying that whatever is built needs to be more than just a pool. What are these idiots wanting? Summerland? A NSC? A 60,000 seat sports stadium with pool complex? Realism and reality has gone out of the window, and now any sympathy or understanding for their cause, has disappeared. 

The South is getting a new £5m+ Peggy House, and gets probably more spent on their area than other areas on the island. 

Edited by 2112

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Various Southern Commissioners are saying that whatever is built needs to be more than just a pool. What are these idiots wanting? Summerland? A NSC? A 60,000 seat sports stadium with pool complex? Realism and reality has gone out of the window, and now any sympathy or understanding for their cause, has disappeared. 

How about a sports hall, swimming pool, running track and gym with some shops thrown in?

https://gef.im/news/politics/pool-plans-go-down-the-drain-28954/#:~:text=Environment Minister Clare Barber has,21%2F00228%2FA).

Ah no, they blocked all that.  I'm assuming because it was to be built next to the posh kids school?

"In her judgement, Mrs Barber agreed with this final point, saying: ‘Overall it is not considered that it has been sufficiently demonstrated that there is an overriding national need for the proposed development"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

When asked what she would do differently she turns it round and blames other Tynwald members.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/tynwald-members-response-to-pool-issue-very-disappointing/

Unbelievably arrogant. 

3 hours ago, 2112 said:

The South is getting a new £5m+ Peggy House, and gets probably more spent on their area than other areas on the island. 

That's not the South it's the Midlands! 

Seriously though how does that benefit Port Erin or Port St Mary? It doesn't really benefit the local community, it's an expenditure for the benefit of the tourism lobby that's Island-wide but mostly in Douglas. 

I'm not sure where the idea that the South gets more spent on it than elsewhere - it's got a decrepit school, a collapsing swimming pool. The vast subsidy the government pumps into the TT each year is because the North would go into economic and emotional meltdown if it was taken away. Most of the sporting upgrades (Nomads pitch, Colby AFC ground) have been financed by the clubs concerned. I can't remember the last public expenditure in the South - Southlands, maybe?

• Like 4

Give them a couple of minibuses and let them use the new multi million pound facility in Braddan, I'm sure Braddan ratepayers will be glad of the revenue.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I see Minister Edge has her hands full with various issues with the main swimming pool at the NSC. In particular tiles are coming off the pool, and the NSC has closed swimming lane, and true to form, outside consultants are involved. I can accept the swimming pool having issues due to its age, however, has some of these issues arisen due to neglect of general maintenance? If the NSC pool is eventually closed or more lanes reduced, what signal does this send both to users, and also IOMG grandstanding and dick waving, in its quest for the island games in 2029. Will there be a new swimming pool, a refurbished pool or will there be a repeat of the flumes saga?