Closure of Southern Swimming Pool

Major Rushen

5 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Utilise the NSC properly and close the rest.  Simple

Weekends with kids at the NSC can be very full already.  I've been turned away from some sessions in the past as it's at capacity. Just one for the entire Island wouldn't work.

Edited by The Phantom
  • Like 2

I am a sea swimmer so none of the island pools are my concern.  But I can appreciate that they are an essential service for those who use them.

If it's a financial issue, there are many govt projects that I would rather see binned than this.  Starting with the earystane nonsense.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

People moan about government spending money, then when they sensibly decide to close something that is costing a fortune and which is replicated just up the road, people moan again.

Its not a sign of anything going down the toilet, its a sensible decision to close a very expensive, little used facility that is at the end of its life.

Plus who on earth is a favourite developer?

Well if the sole arbiter of what society benefits from is money, then Ramsey should be the first to go as that costs the most . 

1 minute ago, asitis said:

Well if the sole arbiter of what society benefits from is money, then Ramsey should be the first to go as that costs the most . 

Ramsey doesn’t need a shed load spending on it like Castletown does, but I agree that it and Peel should close.  They are simply luxuries we can’t afford

2 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Ramsey doesn’t need a shed load spending on it like Castletown does, but I agree that it and Peel should close.  They are simply luxuries we can’t afford

A bit like most of our civil servants!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

It’s confusing because you seem to be questioning if the pool is used (it isn’t in any significant number) and stating that Ramsey is well used, eh. It is also virtually empty most of the time and costs the taxpayer a fortune.

Government headcount is a completely unrelated subject.  Just close the poxy pools, ideally all now but I suppose the next best option is at the end of their useful life when their running costs start to spiral - like Castletown now.  

Is it now? How convenient. Well muggins here as a substantial taxpayer begs to differ. It all comes out of the same pot that we have to keep replenishing, so it is intimately related.

I don't mind paying my taxes for things I never use if it means the kids down south and up north can continue their swimming sessions in their own region. I object strongly if all I'm doing is financing some managers' desires to keep building their empires of bureaucrats at the same time as shutting down things that are actually benefiting the public. Another 54 in HR? That's so low on my priority list it's subterranean.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Ramsey doesn’t need a shed load spending on it like Castletown does,

Also Ramsey's residents have a chip on their shoulders about everything being Douglas centric. And four members of COMIN represent Ramsey or Ayre. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Closing small very local things in favour of consolidation into larger things covering wider areas often makes things shitter. Fact.

Very true. Changing small urban authorities in the UK into metropolitan boroughs within metropolitan counties, abolition of rural districts into countywide unitary authorities, small police forces into regional ones, or a national one in the case of Scotland, all led to massive bureaucracy and a loss of local accountability. Nightmare.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Declan said:

Also Ramsey's residents have a chip on their shoulders about everything being Douglas centric. And four members of COMIN represent Ramsey or Ayre. 

Maybe because everything is Douglas centric?

3 minutes ago, finlo said:

Maybe because everything is Douglas centric?

Good.  It’s where the most people live and has the best transport links for the people who have chosen to live out of the capital.

Its absolutely correct that facilities are centred around the capital and not unnecessarily duplicated around the island. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Good.  It’s where the most people live and has the best transport links for the people who have chosen to live out of the capital.

Its absolutely correct that facilities are centred around the capital and not unnecessarily duplicated around the island. 

What's your view on DBC putting in an objection to planning for when the bowling alley was first proposed for Ramsey's old swimming pool?

3 minutes ago, finlo said:

What's your view on DBC putting in an objection to planning for when the bowling alley was first proposed for Ramsey's old swimming pool?

It’s a private business and if someone wants to take a risk and open it out of Douglas then that is their shout and nothing to do with DBC.

It’s hardly ever busy though, and I doubt anyone can argue it wouldn’t be much better supported if it was in Douglas.

If I was investing in a business I would only consider Douglas.

19 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

I know you laughed off someone's suggestion that you work for government, but some of the things you post are reminiscent of that mindset.

• Confused 1