Illegal TV. Surely the island can lead the way.

CrazyDave

3 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

But if you did prefer to watch the football and you were an avid fan of sayAston Villa and you wanted to watch them play Crystal Palace on a 3 o’clock Saturday game, the only way you could watch it would to be to use an illegal stream. 
Wouldn’t it be better for the Premier League and TV broadcasters to come up with a way of watching the feed legitimately?
Most PL games are sold out or are at 95 % + capacity. so it’s not like revenue would be lost. The opposite in fact.

The 3 o'clock blackout isn't to safeguard PL clubs. It's about protecting the lower, non-league and grass roots clubs that play at the traditional time. They don't want United v Arsenal on the telly discouraging people from going out in the cold and wet to watch Nowhere Rovers v Hopeless Athletic, or Pully vs Laxey or whatever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

No

I pay for sky sports because I am not a thieving, freeloading dickhead, and I don’t like funding criminal gangs.

What happens if everyone steals it?  No more content for the scumbags to steal.

As usual you are missing the point entirely. 

Yes you pay for Sky / TNT ( or whatever it’s called these days) which cover what, 30% of EPL games, if that.

All other EPL  games are covered by, and are available to subscribers of , foreign channels. So the product exists.

If these games were legitimately available to UK subscribers for a fee then I believe a large number of law abiding citizens like yourself would take it up. Obviously you will always get those who won’t take up the option and still take the cheaper ( stealing) option, like you get people who avoid paying their licence fee ( not because of any loophole, they just don’t want to pay it).

The model needs to change. I would happily pay a unique subscription to watch all the games that the EPL team I support play. Because it’s nigh on impossible to get tickets for a particular match and the logistical nightmare and cost of  traveling to the game ( including accommodation).
And for some disabled people it’s not physically possible to go and attend games in person

Nothing beats the experience of going to a live match, but if that’s logistically not possible or not affordable,why  not give the people the opportunity for a fee to watch it on the TV rather than force them into the arms of “ criminal gangs” That fee be could be split between the broadcaster and the club. Win win surely?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

It's not the only way. My god. You could go to the game or watch match of the day. That's the ways it's always been. 

It's isn't the way it's always been. The three o'clock blackout is a relatively recent thing, a couple of decades old maybe, but it certainly wasn't a thing before football being on pay TV.

As Wooley has said though, I don't think it's a bad thing and is done for the right reasons.

8 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

It's isn't the way it's always been. The three o'clock blackout is a relatively recent thing, a couple of decades old maybe, but it certainly wasn't a thing before football being on pay TV.

So actually 8 decades old

The Saturday "3pm blackout" has been protected, meaning no matches can be televised from 14:25 to 17:25 on that day - at least until the new deal ends in 2029.

Edited by The Voice of Reason

3 hours ago, HeliX said:

Er, well the IPTV provider isn't buying the rights and selling it on, they're reproducing the content illegally, and the consumer is then paying those criminals to be able to view it.

A bit like Google selling advertising on the back of copyrighted material on Youtube. "It's not us it's the subscribers. It will be taken down on request." Nice angle, but Google are very big and powerful.

32 minutes ago, woolley said:

The 3 o'clock blackout isn't to safeguard PL clubs. It's about protecting the lower, non-league and grass roots clubs that play at the traditional time. They don't want United v Arsenal on the telly discouraging people from going out in the cold and wet to watch Nowhere Rovers v Hopeless Athletic, or Pully vs Laxey or whatever.

OK make Tesco and Sainsburys close between certain hours to protect the corner shops. Or don’t allow Strictly Dancing  to be shown on the television whilst ballrooms across the UK are open.

I do appreciate the sentiment and yes it’s rather noble and romantic to suggest that the ideals of supporting Nowhere Rovers should be supported. But not by dissuasion or exclusion of other options but by being positively promoting the match going experience of getting off your butt into the rain and cold to watch the likes of Hopeless Athletic.

I don’t like saying this but if it’s your choice or preference to watch United v Arsenal on the telly at 3 O,clock on a Saturday rather than setting off to Billy Goats Field to watch Foxdale , why should you be denied if you did have the choice to pay for it legitimately.
It would be your  choice

19 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

OK make Tesco and Sainsburys close between certain hours to protect the corner shops. Or don’t allow Strictly Dancing  to be shown on the television whilst ballrooms across the UK are open.

I do appreciate the sentiment and yes it’s rather noble and romantic to suggest that the ideals of supporting Nowhere Rovers should be supported. But not by dissuasion or exclusion of other options but by being positively promoting the match going experience of getting off your butt into the rain and cold to watch the likes of Hopeless Athletic.

I don’t like saying this but if it’s your choice or preference to watch United v Arsenal on the telly at 3 O,clock on a Saturday rather than setting off to Billy Goats Field to watch Foxdale , why should you be denied if you did have the choice to pay for it legitimately.
It would be your  choice

Survival of the fittest and devil take the hindmost then. The FA remit is to support the game at all levels from the grass roots up. Goodness knows they do little enough to fulfil it, so this token should be applauded. Not everything is best left to individual choice. Sometimes there is an overriding common good that needs to be served in preference to selfish gratification - a quaint principle fast going out of fashion, I appreciate.

As for making Sainsbury's and Tesco close at certain times to protect small businesses, it happens on Sundays.

https://www.openbusinesscouncil.org/arguments-sunday-longer-trading-hours

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

This clampdown isn’t happening - I know a Bastard Squad member who took his “dodgy” stick / box to plug in at the Villa on a family holiday - proudly posted pics on facebook.

He’s absolutely thick as mince though.

@thommo2010 no need to report him to Bastard Squad HR

Why would I report him? I couldn't care less

• Like 1

Struggling to understand how Joe Public would end up getting nicked for watching an illegal stream. I would have thought proof would be an issue to obtain.

The pubs sub to EU/US legitimate IPTV services for the 15:00 or non UK televised games(all you need is a subscription from an address in Europe/US and a decent VPN) aswell as Sky & TNT for the normal games.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, immortalpuppet said:

Struggling to understand how Joe Public would end up getting nicked for watching an illegal stream. I would have thought proof would be an issue to obtain.

The pubs sub to EU/US legitimate IPTV services for the 15:00 or non UK televised games(all you need is a subscription from an address in Europe/US and a decent VPN) aswell as Sky & TNT for the normal games.

Are you sure the pubs IPTV is strictly legal? It's not in the UK. Using a VPN to pretend you are in a different country? I guess that's not illegal but it means the IPTV provider is not complying with its terms of service. 

I watch a legal stream of games broadcast by my team. I pay. However I'd do have to use a VPN. If I leave it as IOM is refuses me.