Illegal TV. Surely the island can lead the way.

CrazyDave

2 minutes ago, immortalpuppet said:

IPTV from say Spain stipulates you need to be in Spain to sign up and have a Spanish IP. VPN a Spanish provider, might be against T&C’s of the provider but not illegal. 

Depends what you are watching

If for example you watch premier league or MotoGP while in the UK or IOM, the. You are breaking the law.

31 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Depends what you are watching

If for example you watch premier league or MotoGP while in the UK or IOM, the. You are breaking the law.

What law? I think the provider is breaking the terms of their agreement. You are breaking no law so far as I can see. It's immoral perhaps. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, woolley said:

Survival of the fittest and devil take the hindmost then. The FA remit is to support the game at all levels from the grass roots up. Goodness knows they do little enough to fulfil it, so this token should be applauded. Not everything is best left to individual choice. Sometimes there is an overriding common good that needs to be served in preference to selfish gratification - a quaint principle fast going out of fashion, I appreciate.

As a general principle I agree with you but as society , cultures and circumstances change over time it’s sometimes appropriate to revisit issues like this 

26 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Just watching it you're not breaking any laws.

In the Uk you are.  This thread was about why doesn’t the island lead the way in this area.  We are a small jurisdiction and a few easy to bring prosecutions would soon stop the other thieves taking the risk.

Technically anyone can go to prison for up to ten years.  In reality they focus more on the content providers at the moment but that is likely to shift.

Don't kid yourself into thinking you aren’t breaking laws if you stream in the Uk though

Digital economy act 2017

Edited by CrazyDave

It's definitely against the law. PRS and PPL enforce their copyright licensing in the Island. I don't see this as any different. Maybe a lawyer could comment on the Manx legislation or extension of UK legislation?

If you are using these streams, fair enough, that's your choice, but don't think you aren't breaking the law. Ignorance of the law is never a defence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

In the Uk you are.  This thread was about why doesn’t the island lead the way in this area.  We are a small jurisdiction and a few easy to bring prosecutions would soon stop the other thieves taking the risk.

Technically anyone can go to prison for up to ten years.  In reality they focus more on the content providers at the moment but that is likely to shift.

Don't kid yourself into thinking you aren’t breaking laws if you stream in the Uk though

Digital economy act 2017

Well we're not in the uk so as I say no laws being broken.

• Like 1

Taking football for example people stream games on Facebook, tiktok, YouTube. Should people be locked up for watching on these platforms? 

I think since covid society had got to comfortable with sticking their noses into other peoples business. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Taking football for example people stream games on Facebook, tiktok, YouTube. Should people be locked up for watching on these platforms? 

I think since covid society had got to comfortable with sticking their noses into other peoples business. 

Maybe recreational drugs should be thought of in the same way. Tell your friends when you're next in the station.

52 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

"He's not paying for sky sports I want them arrested" is, when you think about it, one of the most ridiculous and pathetic arguments anyone has ever made on this forum.

Who is saying that?  I am saying it’s an area the island can easily be seen to be at the front of.

Why claim to be a great place to do e commerce etc but can even make sure people aren’t illegally streaming stuff when the whoppers who sell the boxes openly advertise on Facebook.

Also, it’s not really that different to the uproar in here if someone gets caught for benefit fraud.

Theft is theft, or are you saying some theft is ok? Bizarre

42 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Not locked up, but stopped from doing it.  Police in the UK are issuing cease and desist notices and giving people warning.  That seems fair enough for a first warning.

Then fine them heavily if they do it again.

22 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Not locked up, but stopped from doing it.  Police in the UK are issuing cease and desist notices and giving people warning.  That seems fair enough for a first warning.

Then fine them heavily if they do it again.

No one’s bothered except a busybody like you

• Like 2