Illegal TV. Surely the island can lead the way.

CrazyDave

It’s a strange thread this one, with plenty of people defending theft.  It also seems

socially acceptable as people talk freely in he  pub, at work and online about their stealing.  It’s as if they think they are paying someone (normally an organised tribal group, even if the payment initially goes to Dave from up the road) that it’s ok.

Where do those of you who think it’s ok draw the line?

Is stealing bread from Tesco ok?  They are a big firm like Sky?

45 in a 30?

Only one and half times over the drink drive limit?

Moderate benefit fraud?

Stealing from the work petty cash?

1 hour ago, slinkydevil said:

Maybe recreational drugs should be thought of in the same way. Tell your friends when you're next in the station.

I don't work in a station not sure what you think I do for a living but I agree with you regarding recreational drugs.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

In the Uk you are.  This thread was about why doesn’t the island lead the way in this area.  We are a small jurisdiction and a few easy to bring prosecutions would soon stop the other thieves taking the risk.

Technically anyone can go to prison for up to ten years.  In reality they focus more on the content providers at the moment but that is likely to shift.

Don't kid yourself into thinking you aren’t breaking laws if you stream in the Uk though

Digital economy act 2017

Yes but instead of bringing prosecutions why not examine how watching 3 o’clock Saturday kick offs could be watched legally for a subscription or rather extending the existing Sky/ TNT / Amazon etc subscriptions which covers 12 30 and 5 30 pm kick off. So people don’t  have to steal to watch what they want 
I know the three o’clock ban was originally to protect attendances at grass roots football at 3 o’clock on a Saturday. Commendable,  but does it really apply anymore? 
It’s my opinion ( and just my opinion) that supporters of lower placed teams won’t be seduced into abandoning the experience of watching their own team play live on Saturday at 3pm in order to watch two PL teams to which they have no affinity or loyalty. They’ll always have the Friday and Monday nights and the Sunday afternoon matches for that and the 12 30 and 5 pm Saturday kick offs.

Because as sure as eggs is eggs if the option to watch Saturday 3pm kick offs legally is introduced then the kick offs at those other times won’t disappear and all PL won’t go back to being played on Saturday 3pm. That genie is out of the bottle.

As I said in an earlier post sometimes you have to revisit these sort of things to see if they are still appropriate in changing times.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

"Alexa, why does everyone think I'm a dick?"

What’s the obsession with the fact that someone uses a very common piece of technology?  It’s a bit weird that you even remember to be honest:

Rather than making pointless posts, why not answer the question?  What theft is acceptable?

11 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes but instead of bringing prosecutions why not examine how watching 3 o’clock Saturday kick offs could be watched legally for a subscription or rather extending the existing Sky/ TNT / Amazon etc subscriptions which covers 12 30 and 5 30 pm kick off. So people don’t  have to steal to watch what they want 
I know the three o’clock ban was originally to protect attendances at grass roots football at 3 o’clock on a Saturday. Commendable,  but does it really apply anymore? 
It’s my opinion ( and just my opinion) that supporters of lower placed teams won’t be seduced into abandoning the experience of watching their own team play live on Saturday at 3pm in order to watch two PL teams to which they have no affinity or loyalty. They’ll always have the Friday and Monday nights and the Sunday afternoon matches for that and the 12 30 and 5 pm Saturday kick offs.

Because as sure as eggs is eggs if the option to watch Saturday 3pm kick offs legally is introduced then the kick offs at those other times won’t disappear and all PL won’t go back to being played on Saturday 3pm. That genie is out of the bottle.

As I said in an earlier post sometimes you have to revisit these sort of things to see if they are still appropriate in changing times.

You are focussing on football, which is only one of the reasons people steal TV content.

These dodgy packages normally include movies, paramount, Disney, Apple etc as well.

Champions league, F1, MotoGP etc etc.

55 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

It’s a strange thread this one, with plenty of people defending theft.  It also seems

socially acceptable as people talk freely in he  pub, at work and online about their stealing.  It’s as if they think they are paying someone (normally an organised tribal group, even if the payment initially goes to Dave from up the road) that it’s ok.

Where do those of you who think it’s ok draw the line?

Is stealing bread from Tesco ok?  They are a big firm like Sky?

45 in a 30?

Only one and half times over the drink drive limit?

Moderate benefit fraud?

Stealing from the work petty cash?

How many times? It's not Theft. Its breach of copyright law. 

16 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

How many times? It's not Theft. Its breach of copyright law. 

You are stealing content you haven’t paid for.  It’s theft from the people who pay for the rights.

It’s a scummy think to do, done by scummy people

1 minute ago, CrazyDave said:

You are stealing content you haven’t paid for.  It’s theft from the people who pay for the rights.

It’s a scummy think to do, done by scummy people

It isn't theft because nothing is being removed. If you steal something you deprive someone else of it. It's copyright infringement.

But this is a stupid argument.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, HeliX said:

It isn't theft because nothing is being removed. If you steal something you deprive someone else of it. It's copyright infringement.

But this is a stupid argument.

Agreed.

Whatever it is it’s scuzzy behaviour by freeloaders