40k for Douglas Council to polish the first section of a turd

CrazyDave

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/planning/douglas-council-to-spend-ps40k-on-new-promenade-light-panels-660238

Mind blowing.  What will it cost by the time it goes full length of the prom?

Do we think they have the foresight to make sure they will be able to still buy the same kit in four or five years or will we end up with different lights on all the different sections?

Just now, Two-lane said:

"‘The money has come from under spending in other areas due to a lack of manpower"

Therefore it is money free of charge, and if it not spent it will just evaporate.

Turns out my wife works in their finance department.  Who knew 😂

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

On the plus side, I did notice the vast majority of the new lights on the Prom appeared to be working last night. 

How it used to be...

Screenshot_20240103-213448_Facebook.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

On the plus side, I did notice the vast majority of the new lights on the Prom appeared to be working last night. 

23 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Looks like a tacky seaside town (which it was). 

Looks much better now

It looks like an out of town industrial estate at night, desolate and bloody awful. I'm sure that there was a much better answer than the solution the parish council chose!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, woolley said:

They do seem to be working now, but the colours get lost because of the much brighter road lighting. Perhaps if they turned those off it would look more cosy.

Just turn your headlights off like I did.

Then all the lights go blue and flashy for some reason.

• Haha 5

We had a visitor over during the Xmas/NY holiday (who last visited about 6 years ago) and the first thing they said as they walked through the door was: "what have you done to all those lovely lights that you used to have?". The consensus was that the prom was now devoid of any character and appeared 'cold' to the eye.

• Like 6

Those silly twinkly lights made the promenade look welcome the vast majority of locals miss them and visitors have also commented how the promenade has lost its character.    The Douglas Town Council, under David Christian I believe,  committed this vandalism to save a few bob and now they are proposing to buy expensive new lighting to go on an expensive sea wall …you really could not make it up.   Crackpot does not cover this scheme.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, woolley said:

They do seem to be working now, but the colours get lost because of the much brighter road lighting. Perhaps if they turned those off it would look more cosy.

Admittedly I was walking the dog way out on the beach at low tide in the dark.  They looked ok from there! 

• Like 1