40k for Douglas Council to polish the first section of a turd

CrazyDave

16 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

No matter that you won't be able to see over the wall. 

Only if you're a dwarf.  It's going to be 4ft!  They're effectively just filling in the railings. 

• Haha 1

I went for an appointment  yesterday and was chatting with the technician .

She ( and several other properties on the same road ) are having issues with mould/ damp / walls caving in due to water coming in and drafty windows due to DBC employing a bunch of cowboys several years ago who clearly incompetent. 

instead of wasting 40k on fripperies why don’t DBC spend the 40k on fixing peoples properties so that they are in liveable condition ?  Just because they live in social housing doesn’t mean they should live in squalor. 

It is bizarre that IOM Gov / authorities just spend their money on the wrong thing ( such as the silly roundells, or the daft roundabouts they put in the south ). 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Been driving a lot in the UK recently, compared to IOM, lots of road markings in UK not been painted for years.

Well dodgy.

So have to give DoI credence on that!

There is a serious accident waiting to happen on the Cooil road opposite Jacksons  I think the junction   is called Barley fields  , no stop or give way sign     no road markings  several vehicles  drive  straight over it  I have told several people in the DOI  but nothing gets done , only a few weeks ago they put a 30MPH speed limit sign  at the junction , 

31 minutes ago, Omobono said:

There is a serious accident waiting to happen on the Cooil road opposite Jacksons  I think the junction   is called Barley fields  , no stop or give way sign     no road markings  several vehicles  drive  straight over it  I have told several people in the DOI  but nothing gets done , only a few weeks ago they put a 30MPH speed limit sign  at the junction , 

Perhaps, like the roundels on the promenade, it is an unmarked junction?.

15 hours ago, Omobono said:

You could always ask Crazy Dave for some driving advice. He’s ace at these type of things

• Haha 3

On 1/12/2024 at 6:24 PM, ellanvannin2010 said:

Perhaps, like the roundels on the promenade, it is an unmarked junction?.

Still not had an issue with them, and significantly improves traffic flow.

did all the fatalities and serious accidents happen that everyone predicted? 

1 hour ago, Manxman1234 said:

Still not had an issue with them, and significantly improves traffic flow.

did all the fatalities and serious accidents happen that everyone predicted? 

No, because everybody with any sense just treats them as roundabouts which have appeared to work perfectly well over many decades.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

No, because everybody with any sense just treats them as roundabouts which have appeared to work perfectly well over many decades.

I swear idiots just post this crap to wind up the people who can actually drive.

I have better things to do today than try and educate idiots though, but would suggest you meet VoR somewhere for a beer and a read of the Highway Code.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

I swear idiots just post this crap to wind up the people who can actually drive.

I have better things to do today than try and educate idiots though, but would suggest you meet VoR somewhere for a beer and a read of the Highway Code.

In this case you're the dangerous idiot. The vast majority of people do treat the roundels as roundabouts, stand and watch for 30 minutes. 

Acting against the prevailing commonsense of treating Traffic Roundels as roundabouts introduces an element of unpredictability on the road. Drivers, accustomed to the roundabout approach, may find it challenging to anticipate the actions of those adhering strictly to the unmarked junction principle. This divergence in interpretation increases the likelihood of misunderstandings, potential conflicts, and, consequently, a higher risk of accidents. In this context, following the commonsense norm of treating these roundels as roundabouts becomes crucial for maintaining a safer and more harmonious traffic environment.

So you are the outlier here, arguing that a point of principle overrides commonsense. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1