40k for Douglas Council to polish the first section of a turd

CrazyDave

6 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

If we have a good storm all the graffiti, sorry artworks, and little shiny forty grand lights will suffer so no storms please.

Are you talking about Douglas, or the stupid artwork in the shelters on Ramsey’s scruffy prom?

On 1/17/2024 at 4:45 PM, John Wright said:

t was the greatest concentration of artistic talent the Island has ever experienced.

...and yet, what we have got is a memorial to a Pop Group!!!

On 1/12/2024 at 3:35 PM, The Phantom said:

Admittedly I was walking the dog way out on the beach at low tide in the dark.  They looked ok from there! 

Yes, at least it's easier to get away with leaving your* dog's shit where it is on the beach now in the dark because no one can see you.

*Not you specifically, I'm sure you pick your shit (and your dog's too for that matter)

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, cissolt said:

People from Lord Street flats were re-housed in new apartments built on Atholl Garage site next to the old Wool Store.

I understand the Lord Street flats site would be difficult to develop. Maybe there is no access at the rear and so the main road would have to be closed for a long period of time.

I think there getting worried about the £75 million housing debt the corporation  has and if anything happens who will be left to pay it off , Plus the £9 at Braddan  that could very well also fall on government  you only need a vote of no confidence in the commissioners , them all walk off into the sunset   , and the aggrieved ratepayers refusing to  pay the additional rates  , perhaps its time the tax and ratepayers  showed their mistrust in local  politics  and showed some muscle

perhaps were brewing  for a manx revolution ,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

I think there getting worried about the £75 million housing debt the corporation  has and if anything happens who will be left to pay it off , Plus the £9 at Braddan  that could very well also fall on government  you only need a vote of no confidence in the commissioners , them all walk off into the sunset   , and the aggrieved ratepayers refusing to  pay the additional rates  , perhaps its time the tax and ratepayers  showed their mistrust in local  politics  and showed some muscle

perhaps were brewing  for a manx revolution ,

If I were involved in Housing Finance at an LA, I'd be looking at Tim Crookall's second paragraph below and getting a little worried. Central Govt/DOI may not be in a position to keep on bailing out LA'S Housing losses and excesses for much longer.

Screenshot_20240322-200205_Samsung Internet.jpg

16 hours ago, Amadeus said:

DBC owns the Lord Street flats. No idea why up the road thinks they need to talk about it.

I would of assumed that the government owned the flats in Lord St, as in most of social housing in Douglas with DBC being an agent collecting rent and receiving a % for repairs and upkeep.

Edited by Dirty Buggane

Speaking of Lord St. Did anyone tell Camilla that the police like to drug raid the houses that are 30 yards away from the town hall. Sorry city hall.

Flatten the lot. Prime retail space .

Are the old flats by Athol St going to be kept for police training? Just like the old hotel on the prom. Just flatten all of it. It's an eyesore

Edited by newaccount

6 hours ago, newaccount said:

Speaking of Lord St. Did anyone tell Camilla that the police like to drug raid the houses that are 30 yards away from the town hall. Sorry city hall.

Flatten the lot. Prime retail space .

Are the old flats by Athol St going to be kept for police training? Just like the old hotel on the prom. Just flatten all of it. It's an eyesore

Retail space? Hardly in demand.

I doubt any buildings are kept for police training they just utilise whatevers available (see Nurses Home, Woodbourne Road etc in past). They're probably being held as 'strategic sites' or whatever. They would be better selling them off at a reasonable price to stimulate investment in the town, with a buyback if not developed in 5 years or something.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mercenary said:

Retail space? Hardly in demand.

I doubt any buildings are kept for police training they just utilise whatevers available (see Nurses Home, Woodbourne Road etc in past). They're probably being held as 'strategic sites' or whatever. They would be better selling them off at a reasonable price to stimulate investment in the town, with a buyback if not developed in 5 years or something.

Town! It's a city doncha know.

7 hours ago, newaccount said:

Speaking of Lord St.

There was a press release a few years ago saying that DBC did some sort of land swap with Dandara to part fund the development in the old Quayle’s Garage site. Therefore I’m surprised to now read that DBC still claim that they own Lord St. Maybe they just granted DD an option that they now need to try to cash in.