Pushing the limits

CrazyDave

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

I don't think that is exclusive to the Govt and CS? It's a self preservation that pervades all job positions above 'foot soldiers'??? That would include employers who want to retain control of their own ideas !!!

True, it's a human trait. However I repeat, for success hire people better than you. As Steve Jobs said:

"It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do." 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

Its an example of the sort of thinking we need to be applying.

lets face it, even if some Saudi Billionaire came here and offered to convert a couple hundred acres somewhere into a cutting edge world leading development entirely at his cost and guaranteed it would be full of new residents, locals and MHKs would object.

We are so backward the island is doomed.  Everything anyone proposes is knocked back by people who want the island to be like it was 40 years ago.

Thing is, not many were rich 40 years ago, and we were ruled by knobs, but it was better then than it is now. We had better swimming pools, a cleaner environment, quieter roads, much better food, and the best nightlife in Europe. Someone pointed out to me many years ago that [progress] does not = [happy capitalist], progress equals = [happy people]. Politicians should be looking at how to make this Island happier for the people who live here, not how they can best exploit it and hawk it off. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

If we discover the world’s biggest oil field under Laxey tomorrow, the environmentalists and nimbys would object to us utilising it.  It’s embarrassing 

There's bugger all under Laxey.... except rainwater.... I've looked.

• Haha 1

The first thing you would have to do, when trying to develop anything which required finance or financial relocations etc would be to reign in the FSA. That's your first obstacle, legitimate business struggles to function here and I feel anything entrepreneurial would blow their minds !

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

That only works if you own the company.

Not really.

It certainly doesn’t work in the civil service, but I can think of several occasions over my working life where good managers have done this and it has paid dividends.

Normally by allowing said manager to step away from technical or operational issues and leave them to the more experienced and more capable new hire, so freeing up the manager to take on a more managerial and strategic role which benefits everyone.

The issue comes when you have someone scared that someone more experienced or qualified will leap frog them.  Those people are idiots and can’t see the advantages to themselves that someone with experience and knowledge brings.

Edited by CrazyDave
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, asitis said:

The first thing you would have to do, when trying to develop anything which required finance or financial relocations etc would be to reign in the FSA. That's your first obstacle, legitimate business struggles to function here and I feel anything entrepreneurial would blow their minds !

If they had caught any significant money launderers in the last 10 years, I could accept it.  But they haven't, they are now just left to fine businesses and ruin the lives of their terrified owners, because someone in the (now massive) compliance department, didn't tick a box. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Not really.

It certainly doesn’t work in the civil service, but I can think of several occasions over my working life where good managers have done this and it has paid dividends.

Normally by allowing said manager to step away from technical or operational issues and leave them to the more experienced and more capable new hire, so freeing up the manager to take on a more managerial and strategic role which benefits everyone.

The issue comes when you have someone scared that someone more experienced or qualified will leap frog them.  Those people are idiots and can’t see the advantages to themselves that someone with experience and knowledge brings.

Yeah I've seen it too in agile companies.

The big problem was the trend back in the 90's of making everyone a 'manager' to fool them into thinking they were getting promoted. Middle management can make teams act like they're wading through treacle as you deal with petty egos. The civil service is rife with middle management, hence the problems.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I don't think prioritising the Island's wildlife, beauty and heritage over the vanity project of some tiny-dicked oil wanker daddy's boy would be a particularly bad thing.

Edited by lethargy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, lethargy said:

I don't think prioritising the Island's wildlife, beauty and heritage over the vanity project of some tiny-dicked oil wanker daddy's boy would be a particularly bad thing.

We need to do both if we want to keep a decent working population.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, slinkydevil said:

Yeah I've seen it too in agile companies.

The big problem was the trend back in the 90's of making everyone a 'manager' to fool them into thinking they were getting promoted. Middle management can make teams act like they're wading through treacle as you deal with petty egos. The civil service is rife with middle management, hence the problems.

The woman in tourism had the right idea when she made everything reapply for their jobs!  

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

@Stu Peters can we have one of these please from Snaefell down to Laxey.

Thanks.

We'd need an entire new section in H&S to police and oversee it.

• Like 1