Pushing the limits

CrazyDave

Just now, Passing Time said:

Maybe enroll in a class that teaches English with an emphasis on spelling instead of wasting your time on here

Have you never made a typo, or had your phone do an auto correct? 

Good for you.  Your parents must be very  proud 🙄

41 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Jeez.  Fair enough.

I though an example of what other places are doing might provoke a conversation about options the island could look at.

Clearly not.  The attitudes shown on here so far probably sum up why this poxy island will never achieve anything.

Never mind 

I totally agree that the island needs bold and clear vision and to develop a sense of what it can be in future years on that I would share your opinion . However I don’t think using terms like “ this poxy island “ provide the right kind of thinking . Absolutely nothing wrong with being ambitious and at least you have offered something but don’t do the island down at the same time ! 

• Like 9

Just now, IOM said:

I totally agree that the island needs bold and clear vision and to develop a sense of what it can be in future years on that I would share your opinion . However I don’t think using terms like “ this poxy island “ provide the right kind of thinking . Absolutely nothing wrong with being ambitious and at least you have offered something but don’t do the island down at the same time ! 

Apologies.

I should have said this islands poxy government, and the idiots who object to EVERYTHING.

The fact that the island has so much to offer is where the frustration comes from.  The first whiff of something different or ambitious being proposed and MHKs, people here, people in the pubs and people all over social media are more excited about having something new to moan about, than any prospect of something positive happening on the island 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Apologies.

I should have said this islands poxy government, and the idiots who object to EVERYTHING.

The fact that the island has so much to offer is where the frustration comes from.  The first whiff of something different or ambitious being proposed and MHKs, people here, people in the pubs and people all over social media are more excited about having something new to moan about, than any prospect of something positive happening on the island 

Yes I agree there are actually so many opportunities here it needs people who have a sense of vision . I genuinely think with the right kind of thinking so much more could be made of it . Should be finding ways of encouraging more private enterprise incentivising retail businesses to set up over here etc . 

• Like 3

I agree broadly. We need some bold thinking, to do something new, something edgy.

We did in the past, look at the TT. Bold, pioneering and still benefiting the island over a century later.

Look at countries who have prospered in the late twentieth century - what did they have? Often natural resources, oil, gas etc.

What are the natural resources of the 21st century? Wind and sunshine, possibly wave power, tidal?

We have loads of wind from autumn to spring, long hours of sunshine in the summer months, 100 miles of coastline and a good and predictable tidal range. We really shouldn't be skint, we should be providing the British Isles with power. We should be the Saudi of the 21st Century!

What we lack is foresight, political courage, imaginative and selfless politicians.

• Like 3

The Cruise ship thing is a farce- couple of years ago a ship full of Americans rolled in - 2 passengers asked to play golf quoted £500 each from the ship, One of the golfers was a guy called Dave Stockton- google him you’ll be surprised at how high profile and influential he is. 

The local pro took care of it - the cruise money doesn’t come here

39 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

The first whiff of something different or ambitious being proposed and MHKs, people here, people in the pubs and people all over social media are more excited about having something new to moan about, than any prospect of something positive happening on the island 

Much of that is born of so many failed promises in the past and present day. Putting men into space in an old Russian oil drum, fairy houses attracting 1000s here, huge losses trying to monetarise our only recognised USP (the TT), millions through the airport, thousands off cruise ship visits.

Most people have heard it so many times that they know it's a piss take and will more than likely end up hitting them in the pockets as taxpayers with nobody accountable. 

Do you really wonder why they are so cynical? The only thing we excel at is facilitating scams for the most part.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Much of that is born of so many failed promises in the past and present day. Putting men into space in an old Russian oil drum, fairy houses attracting 1000s here, huge losses trying to monetarise our only recognised USP (the TT), millions through the airport, thousands off cruise ship visits.

Most people have heard it so many times that they know it's a piss take and will more than likely end up hitting them in the pockets as taxpayers with nobody accountable. 

Do you really wonder why they are so cynical? The only thing we excel at is facilitating scams for the most part.

I get that people are cynical, but at the same time those who are cynical by default must see that without some buy into things we are never going to get anywhere?  We can’t just keep looking at failures of the past and so never try anything new.

It’s a tough one.  We need to be bold, but because of past failures people are apprehensive.

PS.  Cheers to the posters who have actually tried to have a discussion after the usual suspects tried to derail the thread with nonsense.  They pretty much verified the point I was trying to make 😂

Edited by CrazyDave
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I think the key is to find a way of securing the support of private enterprise and investment. If someone is prepared to invest then I guarantee they will make it happen ! Government should be bolder in leaning into this sector . 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, IOM said:

I think the key is to find a way of securing the support of private enterprise and investment. If someone is prepared to invest then I guarantee they will make it happen ! Government should be bolder in leaning into this sector . 

Do you mean like the cannabis firm who have been waiting for planning permission to build their facility for months and months, but are currently being held up by the environmental lot who don’t want them to build on an industrial estate in Ballasalla?

Its a joke

Edited by CrazyDave
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Do you mean like the cannabis firm who have been waiting for planning g permission to build their facility for months and mo the, but are currently being held up by the environmental lot who don’t want them to build on an industrial estate in Ballasalla?

Its a joke

Well yes that’s a good example of stretching the thinking and doing something different. Unfortunately there are always trade offs but something has to give otherwise as you say we end up going nowhere. There must also be a strong case to encourage some higher end hotel accommodation and finding a way of bringing some more affluent older people over here maybe those that  want to go somewhere different but don’t want to travel too far .There are endless opportunities if looked at in the right way . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrazyDave said:

The first whiff of something different or ambitious being proposed and MHKs, people here, people in the pubs and people all over social media are more excited about having something new to moan about, than any prospect of something positive happening on the island 

I think that's a bit negative. As others have said, people here can be rightly cynical because of the "get rich quick" schemes that have died on their ass in the past.

I've never subscribed to the idea that the Manx don't like change. I think if it's meaningful change then they embrace it, this island is no stranger to change.

I think the main sticking point is that there are a lot of people, despite the state of our public finances, who are doing very well thank you out of the status quo. All the rich companies and individuals who pay virtually nothing to be here. Politicians and high ranking civil servants being paid ever -increasing telephone numbers despite us having no money for public services.

Why should they want change? Why would they bother? They're doing very well out of the system just as it is. Their inflated wages and gold plated pensions are safe, all they have to do is keep their head down and not rock the boat. Ask Stu Peters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I think that's a bit negative. As others have said, people here can be rightly cynical because of the "get rich quick" schemes that have died on their ass in the past.

I've never subscribed to the idea that the Manx don't like change. I think if it's meaningful change then they embrace it, this island is no stranger to change.

I think the main sticking point is that there are a lot of people, despite the state of our public finances, who are doing very well thank you out of the status quo. All the rich companies and individuals who pay virtually nothing to be here. Politicians and high ranking civil servants being paid ever -increasing telephone numbers despite us having no money for public services.

Why should they want change? Why would they bother? They're doing very well out of the system just as it is. Their inflated wages and gold plated pensions are safe, all they have to do is keep their head down and not rock the boat. Ask Stu Peters.

A few years ago I met a guy from DFE, when we were trying to get some investment connections. Young, switched on and had great vision leading his team. We came out of meetings suitably impressed and like a breath of fresh air were bullish about some of the future plans he was talking about.

6 months later he took a similar role in the UK, ousted here because of silo mentality, couldn't get anything done nimbly and because he had good ideas was getting ostracized by entrenched people that he was outshining.

You should always hire people and teams who are better than you and let them at it. Too many in Government don't want people better than them, thinking it will make them look bad.

The Isle of Man is a perfect test bed with potential quick law changes, a self-contained jurisdiction and good population size to lead in lots of new tech ideas. Just lacks vision from being a bit too top-heavy and apathetic. We're maybe too far gone and the initiative should have been 20 years ago.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

17 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

Too many in Government don't want people better than them, thinking it will make them look bad.

I don't think that is exclusive to the Govt and CS? It's a self preservation that pervades all job positions above 'foot soldiers'??? That would include employers who want to retain control of their own ideas !!!

I think the key to any success we may, or may not, generate in the future is deregulation. 

If the Saudi billionaire did wash up here wanting to invest in, say a holiday complex of some sort, there would be all sorts of problems. Some poxy bird would be nesting there at certain times of the century, there would be an historic shed from a significant point in Manx farming history on the land, the usual nimbies living within twenty miles of it would have to have their say, the Mannin Line would be full of people who know much better than anyone else in the world that the guy is a con man, the usual experts would be telling everyone that it can't work and our government will fuck them over by dragging it out for years until so much money has been spent on plans and planning applications to find that they have registered said historic shed while all this was going on!    

• Like 3