We are running out of kids?

Max Power

.... but surely Dave, according to your previous post, 'Old' people  close their doors at  6pm, switch on their TV licence and don't venture further!!!

So leaving the evening/night life to the younger people with other young people!

I don't think it is possible for 'older people' to interfere with 'enjoyment' of younger people , they are poles apart???

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Kopek said:

.... but surely Dave, according to your previous post, 'Old' people  close their doors at  6pm, switch on their TV licence and don't venture further!!!

So leaving the evening/night life to the younger people with other young people!

I don't think it is possible for 'older people' to interfere with 'enjoyment' of younger people , they are poles apart???

They're always in the way when the younguns are trying to traverse the mountain in sub 10 mins!

• Like 1

Just now, Kopek said:

But if there are falling numbers of/no young people then those who provide such entertainment for them don't have a purpose so pack up, surely? Leaving even less for young people.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

There is also the fact that the more old people who are here, the less the place is attractive to younger people and so they are more likely to leave.

People might not like it, but it’s true.  Young people want to live in areas with other young people and the related facilities and activities.

Successive regimes have colluded with the eternally flatulent, boring old officials in the various unimaginative licensing authorities and police to destroy any vibrancy we had in our nightlife and entertainment, and made the island a bigger shithole for young people than its ever been! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

There is also the fact that the more old people who are here, the less the place is attractive to younger people and so they are more likely to leave.

People might not like it, but it’s true.  Young people want to live in areas with other young people and the related facilities and activities.

Young people leave school and go to college in uk for three years. In that time, they basically start a new life, with new friends and interests. They have essentially left home. Why should they return here? They are already at home. Coming here is not returning. It is a life move. If we want to attract young people to stay here, we need to offer alternatives to college in the uk and beyond. The drop in 6th formers seems to indicate that we are achieving this. 
Nothing to do with old people. Nothing to do with facilities and activities. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Gives those that are left a better chance of a hook up then!!!

Do you not remember the Cave/ Paramount days then MB!!!

I do.  What do the young people have that even comes close these days?

Nightlife as those of the Paramount, Cave, Jimmy B’s, Studebakers, Imps, Champs, Jefferson’s, Acadamy, venue, Strand 58, swingeasy, toffs etc etc generation remember is virtually non existent.

1886, the outback and very recently The Bench.  Thats it, and they can’t afford to go there regularly while we were out three or four nights every single week.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, finlo said:

They're always in the way when the younguns are trying to traverse the mountain in sub 10 mins!

They're always in MY way, sweet young things in SUVs hugging the middle line!!!

As to less going onto 6th form, this drop is interesting as a comparison of the 2016 and 2021 censuses shows that the number of kids available to be heading to high school is much the same.

Needs a lot more looking into and a lot of other data before any conclusions can be drawn (e.g. impact of covid schooling on this age group, how many families have left island, business closures, business job relocation, 10% more kids than 10yrs ago not going to Uni etc. etc.)

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Holte End said:

Where are these figures published, as I can't see it on the DESC web site ?  

It's here:

https://www.gov.im/about-the-government/departments/education-sport-and-culture/information-and-publications/s/school-roll-data/

though there doesn't seem to be a link to the figures anywhere obvious.  It only seems to have been updated recently, triggered by a Written Question from Haywood, which was where I got the link from and which also contains the tables.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, newaccount said:

There's demographic problems that are going to destroy the isle of man

Not alone but certainly a contributing factor.

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

Gives those that are left a better chance of a hook up then!!!

Do you not remember the Cave/ Paramount days then MB!!!

I would ask anybody with a memory of the times to compare Douglas Promenade of a Friday or Saturday night in the early and mid 90s to the same location and nights today.

Then tell me that nightlife hasn't been destroyed and/or we aren't in a recession or something equating to it.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 2