We are running out of kids?

Max Power

6 hours ago, display name said:

They've already started doing it Wooley,just not quite at that age,at least not yet.

Yes. This is what it's about. They have made big inroads already by increasing women to 65 and then men and women to 66. We will fall into the next lot that reach state pension age at 67. Mrs W is not amused that we will have to wait even longer having paid in from age 16 (starting with paying NI on part time jobs as kids!) Not a happy bunny, but we are lucky in not being destitute. Some people we know really struggle to hold down physically or mentally demanding jobs in their 60s because they have no choice. Will they reduce the pension age again once the "bulge" of the boomers has passed through? When there are fewer pensioners and they realise that we are not now "all living longer"? Will they hell.

UK State Pension Age Review 2023:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/642532703d885d000cdade9f/state-pension-age-review-2023-print-ready.pdf

Edited by woolley
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, woolley said:

Yes. This is what it's about. They have made big inroads already by increasing women to 65 and then men and women to 66. We will fall into the next lot that reach state pension age at 67. Mrs W is not amused that we will have to wait even longer having paid in from age 16 (starting with paying NI on part time jobs as kids!) Not a happy bunny, but we are lucky in not being destitute. Some people we know really struggle to hold down physically or mentally demanding jobs in their 60s because they have no choice. Will they reduce the pension age again once the "bulge" of the boomers has passed through? When there are fewer pensioners and they realise that we are not now "all living longer"? Will they hell.

UK State Pension Age Review 2023:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/642532703d885d000cdade9f/state-pension-age-review-2023-print-ready.pdf

Two words: Private Pension.

It could be said that  from when they started increasing the pension age that people had then been forewarned of future changes?

Prior to that 'we' were on a govt promise to pay the pension at 65.

If the Govt can break its promises,  where could that lead to in other areas???

• Like 1

On 1/19/2024 at 2:51 PM, A fool and his money..... said:

What's always missed in discussions on this subject is the problem's potentially temporary nature. The boomers are but one generation, gen X, y etc. will not necessarily lead to the same problems, life expectancy rates are slowing.

However what the island plan is trying to do is create another boom generation here. What do we do when they retire?

But the problem on the Isle of Man isn't really a Boomer problem.  If you look at the age distribution in the 2021 Census:

image.png.fb07840d99c1a4b6cd5ed1e01c686b99.png

taken at a time when the youngest Boomers would have been 57[1], you can see that the biggest bulge is actually Generation X, especially the older half of it.  These people are still of working age and the problems that are going to be caused are still to come.

[1]  For simplicity I'm taking the standard US definition here as that is what most people refer to, though arguably they don't transfer exactly elsewhere.  This defines Boomers as born 1946-64 (so 57 - 75 in 2021); Generation X born 1965-1980 (aged 41-56); Millennials born 1981-1996 (aged 25-40); and Generation Z born 1997-2012 (aged 9-24)

• Like 1

@Roger Mexico There has always been a proportion of Manxies that spend the first half of their career away and return home in middle age to work here for 10 or 20 years and then retire. Added to that there are people who arrived in the 90s and early 2000s boom. It does give us a slightly different profile to elsewhere.

58 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

yes. those funds do seem to go bang though with a few folks done very nicely, at least governments cant just fuck off with your money ( though it certainly feels like it )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WTF said:

yes. those funds do seem to go bang though with a few folks done very nicely, at least governments cant just fuck off with your money ( though it certainly feels like it )

No, but the government has had to come to the rescue of many occupational funds that have gone bust.

• Like 1

I don't think the government is clear exactly what sorts of jobs people will come here to do.

It's not as though we have factories or research facilities etc.

We don't even try to attract digital nomads with special offers.

Edited by Moghrey Mie

On 1/21/2024 at 5:30 PM, GD4ELI said:

Two words: Wouldn't be fucking necessary if people would stop voting for dickheads who give our money away to their mates.

Alright I never learned to count past two, sue me.

Edited by HeliX
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

I don't think the government is clear exactly what sorts of jobs people will come here to do.

It's not as though we have factories or research facilities etc.

We don't even try to attract digital nomads with special offers.

The only jobs that Government seems to be successful in creating are more public sector ones. I'm not sure if they realise that is part of the problem.

• Like 2

I tried to get the Govt to support a business I worked for in setting up an apprenticeship/graduate scheme in a sector that is woefully understaffed and has a wage range for standard employees between 35-120k. But it didn't tick the boxes on the form they had so I got nowhere.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, HeliX said:

I tried to get the Govt to support a business I worked for in setting up an apprenticeship/graduate scheme in a sector that is woefully understaffed and has a wage range for standard employees between 35-120k. But it didn't tick the boxes on the form they had so I got nowhere.

Apprenticeships should be available in a wide range of sectors.

Companies need to take responsibility for training the people they need.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/22/2024 at 11:21 PM, HeliX said:

Sorry to hear that...but unfortunately they have always looked very negatively at prostitution on the island.

• Haha 1