Future Telly

Slim

From IOMONline

DIGITAL REVOLUTION ON WAY

THE Isle of Man is set for a TV revolution.

Plans for the Island to go digital are expected to be announced at the end of the month.

This will enable TV viewers to pick up scores of new channels, many of them free-to-view, via a set top box.

Under the proposals, all UK and Crown Dependencies' terrestrial TV will be switched over from analogue to digital transmission standards.

The first region to switch over in that four-year plan is the Border ITV region, of which the Island is a part.

Final confirmation of the switch-over date is awaited from the UK Government, with Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell expected to make an announcement on September 15.

But the conversion to digital in the Island is expected to take place as early as 2008.

So, we've not got digital terrestrial tv yet, we're one of the last places in the UK to get it, but we're going to be the first to be switched off analog? Does that sound nuts to anyone else?

From IOMONline

DIGITAL REVOLUTION ON WAY

THE Isle of Man is set for a TV revolution.

Plans for the Island to go digital are expected to be announced at the end of the month.

This will enable TV viewers to pick up scores of new channels, many of them free-to-view, via a set top box.

Under the proposals, all UK and Crown Dependencies' terrestrial TV will be switched over from analogue to digital transmission standards.

The first region to switch over in that four-year plan is the Border ITV region, of which the Island is a part.

Final confirmation of the switch-over date is awaited from the UK Government, with Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell expected to make an announcement on September 15.

But the conversion to digital in the Island is expected to take place as early as 2008.

So, we've not got digital terrestrial tv yet, we're one of the last places in the UK to get it, but we're going to be the first to be switched off analog? Does that sound nuts to anyone else?

You said it, how the media can blow things up into a great 'first', (who needs Alastair Cambell's spin ?) but it is a first of the closures of the analogue system. With the 405/625 change-over there was a 10 year overlap, I've just done a count and I would need 8 digiboxes for the tellies and vcrs, just great that is !

How things suddenly appear as 'news' as this was published a few months ago, so what's 'new' about it ?. A bit of 'olds' to me.

Maybe I'll learn german and carry on watching astra analogue for free :rolleyes:

Would you prefer to be the last area in the UK to get analogue switched off then ?

We are getting it in 2008 (subject to confirmation).

Stop moaning and be pleased that we aren't in the Channel Islands (who have to wait till 2011).

On a selfish note, I can't wait until they have digital terrestrial over here as my analogue signal is absolutely pants... I would be gutted if the new DT signal was also substandard, any chance of that?

If you're analogue signal is already pants, then you're probably gonna have no TV at all!

I presume they will be using exactly the same transmitters as they are using at the moment for analgue, - so unless you get some sort of a decent antenna system then you'll probably be totally screwed for TV.

You best best if you're somewhere like the Sulby Valley where terrestrial signals are practically non-existent, then why not get a Sky "freeview" box and dish (you have to have a good view of the sky in a south/easterly direction though).

- It is totally nuts - has been mentioned in previous posts how ridiculous it is that we are one of the last places in the UK to be able to receive digital, yet our analogue sytem is being switched off first!!!

Nothing to be proud of, or shout about at all, infact something we should be totally ashamed of!

Maybe I'll learn german and carry on watching astra analogue for free  :rolleyes:

Just that it's being mentioned - where can I get an old analogue box and dish? Wouldn't mind some Heimatland Telly once in a while - if anyone knows, let me know!

The tip at St Johns is sometimes a good source of analogue boxes. Or call the TV shops. I'll bet someone has got a few of them out the back. (You can buy a new one for about, say, £25.)

Skips can be a good source of dishes. Have they pulled down those boarded - up houses at Pulrose yet ? ;)

But you'd be better off with a cheapo generic digital receiver. The German national and regional stuff is all free and unencrypted in digital too.

Archived