Weather

Lilly

1 hour ago, Mr. Sausages said:

The planet will be fine. Some life forms will evolve to adapt to the new climate. There’ll be a mass crop failure and humans will become extinct.

What’s the downside? 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

You also have the Indian Ocean dipole effecting things.

Doesn't seem to have been an exceptionally windy winter, the more unusual thing to me was the predominant wind direction in the autumn 

Plus the sun spots and the earth wobbling on it's axis and the magnetic shift?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

There is nothing unusual about the weather we are having

The UK on average gets 7 named storms per winter.

We are currently on 10 and it looks like there will be another before the end of the week. 

image.png.50fbd915df32cf7fe58f5ffd931ddef9.png

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lilly said:

Can you explain? DAS Boot- is it a film?  And Shirley?   Sorry, l didn't  understand it?  Apologies, Zarley, if it is blaringly obvious to everyone else.

"Das Boot" is German for "the boat". It's also the name of a 1981 German film, which was based on a 1973 autobiographical novel by a German war correspondent who spent time on a German u-boat in WWII. In 2018 it was also made into a four season tv series. 

"Shirley" is a play on "surely". It's a rather lame joke from the 1980 disaster-film parody "Airplane!". 

Hope that helps!

Edited to add... Lilly, I don't know if you're aware, but Amadeus is from Germany, which is why I used the German term for boat. 

Edited by Zarley
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

The UK on average gets 7 named storms per winter.

We are currently on 10 and it looks like there will be another before the end of the week. 

image.png.50fbd915df32cf7fe58f5ffd931ddef9.png

Been naming storms for 9 years.

It is an active storm season certainly, but it is nothing outside of normalcy.

1 hour ago, RoundTheCourse said:

But how many storms did we get per year before we started naming them?

Exactly, Going to sound like a right old Manxie.. Wheni was fishing must of been middle to late 80's there was a time we never left the harbour for close on 9 weeks as gale after gale rolled in. As far as I am concerned weather patterns change, and we never sailed close to the edge incase we fell off. 

• Like 5

Bloody weather - flight back from Dublin on Sunday was cancelled, rebooked for yesterday and extended hotel stay and hire car (gouged on price). Sat in the airport for 5 hours watching the IOM flight being postponed numerous times. Finally called to the gate and loaded on the shuttle bus (phew). Then told to get off the bus and go back into the gate/cattle pen as the aircraft hadn't even arrived (argh). Long wait for incoming aircraft, panic about Ronaldsway closing time, then finally boarded. I hate travelling on boats and planes as Self Loading Cargo.

3 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Bloody weather - flight back from Dublin on Sunday was cancelled, rebooked for yesterday and extended hotel stay and hire car (gouged on price). Sat in the airport for 5 hours watching the IOM flight being postponed numerous times. Finally called to the gate and loaded on the shuttle bus (phew). Then told to get off the bus and go back into the gate/cattle pen as the aircraft hadn't even arrived (argh). Long wait for incoming aircraft, panic about Ronaldsway closing time, then finally boarded. I hate travelling on boats and planes as Self Loading Cargo.

thats why we need tunnel .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1