Weather

Lilly

4 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

The Roundhouse in Braddan will still be draining there rates.

And if any humans are left, they'll still not know the difference between there, their, and they're.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Zarley said:

"Das Boot" is German for "the boat". It's also the name of a 1981 German film, which was based on a 1973 autobiographical novel by a German war correspondent who spent time on a German u-boat in WWII. In 2018 it was also made into a four season tv series. 

"Shirley" is a play on "surely". It's a rather lame joke from the 1980 disaster-film parody "Airplane!". 

Hope that helps!

Edited to add... Lilly, I don't know if you're aware, but Amadeus is from Germany, which is why I used the German term for boat. 

Thank you 😊.

That video is full of stuff like this

20 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

There is nothing unusual about the weather we are having, and when the weather people count it up and issue their reports they will say things like 'average rainfall for that time of year' or 'above average number of storm days' or 'january was 0.1 degree colder than the 5 year average' because it is all totally normal.

because it is all normal. 99mph gusts recorded in that last storm, happened 24 times in 20 years he says in that video, so rare enough but still normal. Near the end (around 28mins) he talks a bit about it, sort of asks 'is this unusual' to which he basically says no.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I agree @TheTeapot, When I were a lad there was always a few times at this time of year when weather as we're now experiencing was not unusual, even expected; fierce gales, days of continuous rain, fallen trees, property damage etc. There were numerous occasions when gusting reached 80-100mph. Slates were blown off the houses in our street, damaging cars and dangerous to life and limb. And I don't ever remember the police/the then DoI, et al issuing statements pleading with us not to travel unless absolutely necessary.

Oh, and invariably our boats sailed, when it was invariably guaranteed there'd be a boat in the morning. 

@Dirty Buggane It's only a bit of fun, no harm intended unless it causes you embarrassment?

Although, no matter how many times these grammatical errors occur and are pointed out, many people still keep making them!!!

If it makes you feel better, I had to use spell checker twice in this post !!!😀

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kopek said:

@Dirty Buggane It's only a bit of fun, no harm intended unless it causes you embarrassment?

Although, no matter how many times these grammatical errors occur and are pointed out, many people still keep making them!!!

If it makes you feel better, I had to use spell checker twice in this post !!!😀

My spelling and grammar are not very good; I just write what l'm thinking in a reply to a post!  Kopek has put it very well;  it doesn't really matter that much, does it?  As long as you get over your valid point of view!

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Lilly said:

My spelling and grammar are not very good; I just write what l'm thinking

Ahh bless Lilly, don't you worry your pretty little head about..........

Oh Jeeze, we're not supposed to talk like that any more, are we!

Actually, it can matter, the response to dirty bugganes' post was not about the content but about the grammatical error, so the content of the post was overlooked because, to most people with reasonable command of grammar the error was so 'glaringly incongruous' that it distracted the responder from the content of the post, hence rendering the post useless???

If they pass the bad grammar onto their own Kids it could affect peoples' perception of the Kids, which is unfair!

E&OE.

Edited by Kopek
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Exactly, Going to sound like a right old Manxie.. Wheni was fishing must of been middle to late 80's there was a time we never left the harbour for close on 9 weeks as gale after gale rolled in. As far as I am concerned weather patterns change, and we never sailed close to the edge incase we fell off. 

January/Feb 1991 was the same boats never went out until March, my last year at the fishing, could not afford to pay my bills and got a job ashore .

• Like 4

The Temperatures have noticeably risen this morning; l think it's 12 degrees. In fact, my dog's is shredding his coat again in rug-like clumps; he is extremely hairy, though. I was just wondering what the effect on livestock or wildlife might be.

25 minutes ago, Lilly said:

The Temperatures have noticeably risen this morning; l think it's 12 degrees. In fact, my dog's is shredding his coat again in rug-like clumps; he is extremely hairy, though. I was just wondering what the effect on livestock or wildlife might be.

I don't think it works that way...even if you kept a dog in a centrally heated place all year round it will still shed every 6 months or so spring and autumn.