£47m Government Overspend

Hairy Poppins

1 minute ago, Twitch said:

...and we will obviously need more civil servants to ensure that this never happens again..

With those extra numbers requiring one or two more in HR to look after them too.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

I think it’s clear the civil service side of government has no desire to make savings or reduce its size, as we have seen with even more hires over recent years. Sadly the politicians in charge lack the willpower or competence to do anything about it

Yep. Add DBC and other LAs to that list.

42 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Public Accounts Committee should schedule a special session where they quiz the heads of these departments that have over-spent.

https://www.tynwald.org.im/committee/PAC

Good idea from the perspective of the taxpayers but in reality there is no real improvement in outcome. All PAC can do is enquire, ruminate and make recommendations at which point, "Lessons will be Learned" (again), no matter how shocking the findings.

The blunt facts are that these people are not accountable and because of that, worse, don't give a f@ck about their overspending either. They know they are untouchable and in the event of Treasury not covering the shortfall they also know that their tame Ministers and Dept members will railroad through rises in Dept taxes in order to make it good (as well as obligingly regurgitating any amount of spiel and crap to try and justify it as well). It may even be an interdepartmental laughing matter in some quarters.

Why should they worry?

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 4

So Treasury has known for ages but not told the politicians. They 'saved' £29 million by not doing stuff (what was it, does it need to be done, so a deferral, not a saving at all?) But it's all good because Treasury raised taxes, car park fees, rent etc.. by silly amounts so screwed the taxpayer twice (three times if you count underdelivery)

Move along, nothing to see here... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Including the impact of the creation of Manx Care on the budget available to actually deliver health services, at the pointy end.

Quayle, Ashford and Hooper and then Manx Care ! Is it any wonder it's a shitshow !

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Including the impact of the creation of Manx Care on the budget available to actually deliver health services, at the pointy end.  

Ask any honest healthcare professional over here and they will tell you Manx Care has done nothing but added a layer of highly paid and unnecessary management obsessed with collecting data and desperate to justify their own existence. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Ask any honest healthcare professional over here and they will tell you Manx Care has done nothing but added a layer of highly paid and unnecessary management obsessed with collecting data and desperate to justify their own existence. 

Absolutely true we have many friends at the sharp end !

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Amadeus said:

I think it’s clear the civil service side of government has no desire to make savings or reduce its size, as we have seen with even more hires over recent years.  

This is why I said yesterday that I've reached the conclusion they know something we don't about the future funding of the Island. If they go headlong over a cliff in the next few years, on the face of it, that's their jobs until they retire and maybe pensions for another 2 or 3 decades up the swanny. They may be self-interested but they aren't this stupid. There has to be more to it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, woolley said:

This is why I said yesterday that I've reached the conclusion they know something we don't about the future funding of the Island. If they go headlong over a cliff in the next few years, on the face of it, that's their jobs until they retire and maybe pensions for another 2 or 3 decades up the swanny. They may be self-interested but they aren't this stupid. There has to be more to it.

My bet would be that they (Treasury/Comin) *think* that they know something about the future funding of the island. 

But with a Labour government on the horizon (or maybe a Lab/Lib/SNP mishmash government), I wouldn't be certain of any existing or promised funding arrangements beyond 2025. 

I'm far from a fan of the Conservatives, but I feel Labour will want to renegotiate things like the VAT agreement and reciprocal health agreement.

• Like 1