£47m Government Overspend

Hairy Poppins

23 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Well who not to put our 'X' next to in September 2026 won't be a 'tough choice' then will it.

They're all the same though. Literally had that fella fron Ayre who said he wouldn't take a Comin job... and now he's Minister for Enterprise. 

The alternative is party politics, and looking at the absolute state of Manx political parties, it would only be the same or worse than the current set up. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hairy Poppins said:

They're all the same though. Literally had that fella fron Ayre who said he wouldn't take a Comin job... and now he's Minister for Enterprise. 

The alternative is party politics, and looking at the absolute state of Manx political parties, it would only be the same or worse than the current set up. 

I don't know about the state of Manx party politics of whether it's absolute or not but I'm not sure that having a clearly defined party political system on the Island would be worse than you already have. A benefit of party politics is that all the candidates stand on the same platform so you know what you're getting if you vote for them even if you don't like the look of the one whose standing in your neck of the words. That in turn leads to stability of governance. That in turn means that you can boot out the whole platform they offered and try something markedly different next tine. At the moment you've got twenty odd independents without a coherent platform all scrabbling around trying to scratch up votes with the power of their personality and their individual promises. And if you vote them out next time you'll get another twenty off etc etc. Your system is too chaotic and fragile to put in motion something as momentous as balancing your books. 

• Thanks 3

We need formed opposition politics, to provide scrutiny and criticism. During projects, for instance, not just the hand-wringing at the overspent end.

We have a civil service running amok with no political control or examination of it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Expat. said:

I don't know about the state of Manx party politics of whether it's absolute or not but I'm not sure that having a clearly defined party political system on the Island would be worse than you already have. A benefit of party politics is that all the candidates stand on the same platform so you know what you're getting if you vote for them even if you don't like the look of the one whose standing in your neck of the words. That in turn leads to stability of governance. That in turn means that you can boot out the whole platform they offered and try something markedly different next tine. At the moment you've got twenty odd independents without a coherent platform all scrabbling around trying to scratch up votes with the power of their personality and their individual promises. And if you vote them out next time you'll get another twenty off etc etc. Your system is too chaotic and fragile to put in motion something as momentous as balancing your books. 

Manx Labour Party do have some basic beliefs.

https://www.manxlabourparty.com/beliefs/

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Manx Labour Party do have some basic beliefs.

https://www.manxlabourparty.com/beliefs/

I'm just reading through that list of worthy aspirations and trying to think where any of them stand in priority in current IoM Governance.

12 hours ago, Hairy Poppins said:

But then they take a job in Treasury or any other Department and end up kowtowing to the Departmental line. 

I just can't see any situation where a cohesive and effective party could form a government here. 

You could say joining a department and putting forward an alternative, challenging point of view to the prevailing conservative doctrine.

5 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

You could say joining a department and putting forward an alternative, challenging point of view to the prevailing conservative doctrine.

If Ministers and Departmental members didn't get sacked for such heresy (certainly making it public), it might work.

• Like 1

I’m not a massive fan of party politics as in the UK or even worse the US system. My solution would be for chief ministerial wannabees to declare before the election, and have a separate island-wide vote for the position. Other MHK candidates could declare who they support, and we could vote them in or otherwise with that in mind. 

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

You could. But you would just be overruled by the Minister/Comin and the Civil Servants who actually run the show. 

• Like 2

The way to go on the Island seems to be stand under a party banner, let them promote and partly fund your campaign then a little time in disagree with their stand on an issue tell them to fly away and continue as an independent.   This has happened quite a few times in recent years.    So no we possibly have an overload of MHKs for population numbers but not enough for party politics.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

The way to go on the Island seems to be stand under a party banner, let them promote and partly fund your campaign then a little time in disagree with their stand on an issue tell them to fly away and continue as an independent.   This has happened quite a few times in recent years.    So no we possibly have an overload of MHKs for population numbers but not enough for party politics.

Daphne, Joney and the MLC guy who wants to spend millions on a cycle path, near his house I presume, seem to be green party members in disguise.  

21 hours ago, Hairy Poppins said:

But then they take a job in Treasury or any other Department and end up kowtowing to the Departmental line. 

I just can't see any situation where a cohesive and effective party could form a government here. 

With party politics, they would have the strength of the party behind them.  Agreed that our system is not sufficiently developed to support party politics, as yet. 

21 hours ago, Hairy Poppins said:

It almost needs a Nigel Farage character to start to pick up the narrative, talk borderline sense and to start to take the population with them. The island is insulated from the absolute maelstrom of issues that extant in the UK today and need to stop pissing around in the weeds and step up with a bold vision.

Globally it is getting yo shit or bust time, let alone on island  

• Like 2