£47m Government Overspend

Hairy Poppins

8 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

"Maintenance!  Maintenance!! Go and wash your mouth out with soap and water.  We'll have none of your filthy talk at the DoI".

I've long suspected there's lots of transferring of money internally at the DoI and with various special funds to cover up all sorts of financial embarrassments such as the Prom and the Great Shed of Liverpool.  General standards of financial monitoring are so low and civil service collusion so universal, that all sorts of shenanigans could be happening and never discovered.  But it means all sorts of useful stuff that the government should be doing as a matter of course will be ignored at great eventual cost.

That is exactly what the pink books shows for last year. TCB fund being tapped by departments to reduce overspend, including pay awards and inflation related costs. 

Screenshot_2024-01-30-15-57-28-60_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

21 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

They closed the local live-in stations and sequestered the cops into towns where all they do is jump in a car or a van and 'patrol'. The only time you see them in the flesh is TT fortnight or walking to or from a coffee/bacon butty shop.

At one time they were a part of the community they policed and were a visible deterrent and reassurance. Now, most interactions with the general public are for traffic or tafficking. Oh and the cringe social media posts.

The outstations were scarcely populated. We had Andreas KM and St.Johns with resident bobbies and that was about it.

The zenith was around 2005-20010 when all the local stations - Ramsey, Peel, Port Erin/ Castletown, Onchan and of course Douglas were all well-staffed. Local cops with local ownership and a firm but relatively light touch from HQ. 

Sometimes.we sort of over-policed but it was effective.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I've long suspected there's lots of transferring of money internally at the DoI and with various special funds to cover up all sorts of financial embarrassments such as the Prom and the Great Shed of Liverpool.  General standards of financial monitoring are so low and civil service collusion so universal, that all sorts of shenanigans could be happening and never discovered.

Another prime example, the two lots of funding that were Tynwald-granted in the name of ensuring that the horse trams got to the Sea Terminal which obviously they don't.

Charles Guard said it had been "misappropriated" on MR. Chris Thomas denied that it had been "misappropriated"; An easy play on words.

DOI are a disgrace, proven over and over again.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

The outstations were scarcely populated. We had Andreas KM and St.Johns with resident bobbies and that was about it.

The zenith was around 2005-20010 when all the local stations - Ramsey, Peel, Port Erin/ Castletown, Onchan and of course Douglas were all well-staffed. Local cops with local ownership and a firm but relatively light touch from HQ. 

ballasalla ?  i recall there were 2 police houses just up from the whitestone

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Kopek said:

.... and yet, what percentage of Pax will be smuggling drugs? ....and what percentage of them will not be ppicked up by the Police currently???

Waste?

Judging by the amount of the stuff on the streets there certainly appears to be scope for detection.

19 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

And indeed why does the structure exist that DOI pays the bills of other departments? Who the hell sets these arrangements up?

It's nuts, isn't it? How can there possibly be accountability for the expenditure of public money under an arrangement like this? I wonder how many Tynwald members were even aware that this is the case.

• Like 2

Wooley, the Police seem to be pretty good at catching drug dealers, how good at stopping the import I don't know. Maybe more resources needed?

What I was questioning was do we need to put 'all' pax through a security check in order to catch, how many, 1 or 2 a week of small quantities?

Seems OTT and a freedom restriction?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cissolt said:

That is exactly what the pink books shows for last year. TCB fund being tapped by departments to reduce overspend, including pay awards and inflation related costs. 

Screenshot_2024-01-30-15-57-28-60_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

Looks like star ship enterprise is going down the tubes I had heard we now  had just over 30 yachts on the register   and the number of ships on the  general register had fallen considerably  but an almost £2 million fall in registration fees ?, and an overspend of  £1 million  by the motorsport division , heads of division and those with responsibility  should have been  called in to explain themselves  long before now ,, 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Omobono said:

heads of division and those with responsibility  should have been  called in to explain themselves  long before now

On the face of it, nothing happens though. Losses and overspends are posted then approaches made to Treasury to backfill the holes.

Nodding, unquestioning dogs vote the backfill through in Tynwald with little more than the odd cough and Treasury duly hikes taxes on the plebs to cover the outlay.

Nobody accountable and everybody gets ready to do the same next year. Rinse and repeat, ad infinitum.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Weren't there small local stations in Willaston (opposite shops IIRC) and Pulrose too? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

Looks like star ship enterprise is going down the tubes I had heard we now  had just over 30 yachts on the register   and the number of ships on the  general register had fallen considerably  but an almost £2 million fall in registration fees ?, and an overspend of  £1 million  by the motorsport division , heads of division and those with responsibility  should have been  called in to explain themselves  long before now ,, 

Must be all of those Russian oligarchs yacths leaving, much like KWC. 

But surely a £1m overspend is good news because it means there will be an unexpected extra £2-3m benefit to the Manx economy? Isn't that the logic/excuse they use for the heritage railways. When is a loss not a loss, when it's publically funded. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kopek said:

Wooley, the Police seem to be pretty good at catching drug dealers, how good at stopping the import I don't know. Maybe more resources needed?

What I was questioning was do we need to put 'all' pax through a security check in order to catch, how many, 1 or 2 a week of small quantities?

Seems OTT and a freedom restriction?

Well there are no checks at heysham and our border control looks like crossing through the Berlin wall.  What are we stopping?  Nobody is exporting drugs.

Job creation and the illusion of being seen to do something.

I would wager that drug seizures leaving the island are zero.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, cissolt said:

Well there are no checks at heysham and our border control looks like crossing through the Berlin wall.  What are we stopping?  Nobody is exporting drugs.

Job creation and the illusion of being seen to do something.

I would wager that drug seizures leaving the island are zero.

They could live on the boat and have a dog with them, an entire 4 hours to go through the passenger lounges and during the queuing of vehicles at the dock. Do they use swabs at the Sea Terminal?

Do the crew go through any sort of security as they seem to be free to wander on and off the boat? 

• Like 1

See that now they can't staff the new nursing home they are looking for an extra £1.5m a year. Now presumably there would have been a budget to staff it at some point but now the private sector are presumably tendering for it, it will cost them an extra £1.5m per year to staff it.

So either the budget was inadequate, the NHS staff were woefully underpaid or the private firms are raking in an extra £28k a week.

Wonder if it's in this years or next years budget?

Or are we now on £48.5 million overspend this year?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-68139826

I see the rules changed during the planning phase... but they didn't adjust the budget presumably?

Or another way, an extra £26k annually per bed.