£47m Government Overspend

Hairy Poppins

21 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

See that now they can't staff the new nursing home they are looking for an extra £1.5m a year. Now presumably there would have been a budget to staff it at some point but now the private sector are presumably tendering for it, it will cost them an extra £1.5m per year to staff it.

So either the budget was inadequate, the NHS staff were woefully underpaid or the private firms are raking in an extra £28k a week.

Wonder if it's in this years or next years budget?

Or are we now on £48.5 million overspend this year?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-68139826

I see the rules changed during the planning phase... but they didn't adjust the budget presumably?

Or another way, an extra £26k annually per bed. 

Well a private operator can charge £1000+ PW whereas Manx care are providing a lot of beds at 0 contribution from residents except for loss of any pension they have so easier to make it work , plus they’re not paying pensions, NHS rates etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Well a private operator can charge £1000+ PW whereas Manx care are providing a lot of beds at 0 contribution from residents except for loss of any pension they have so easier to make it work , plus they’re not paying pensions, NHS rates etc.

1.5 million a year seems good value compared to private providers. Any idea how much Salisbury Street is costing us?

16 minutes ago, cissolt said:

1.5 million a year seems good value compared to private providers. Any idea how much Salisbury Street is costing us?

No, not sure if details are public of contracts. Last news I could find 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/politics/paying-ps79m-for-new-care-home-was-the-right-decision-240517

Edited by Banker

6 hours ago, Banker said:

No, not sure if details are public of contracts. Last news I could find 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/politics/paying-ps79m-for-new-care-home-was-the-right-decision-240517

I had forgotten about this chap!  £812 per week x 60 beds at a minimum. So £2.5 million at least based on Salisbury figures.

It is interesting that he stated govt paid too much and is also paying twice for the same beds.  Seems obvious that DHSC are incapable of finding overspends like this.

In fear of repeating myself, cos frankly I am 🙄!!

Why is the term 'over budget' always used, when in most cases it really is a genuine case of 'underfunding'?

While they (IOMG) acknowledge (in principle) that we have an ever aging population, living longer because of fairly recent amazing pharmaceutical discoveries, this FACT is not really being used as part of the equation to determine how realistically to fund the NHS now and for the future.

AND, it happens year after year after year ad infinitum!!

Come on IOMG, get your priorities in the right order of REAL importance!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Sentience said:

Why is the term 'over budget' always used, when in most cases it really is a genuine case of 'underfunding'?

While they (IOMG) acknowledge (in principle) that we have an ever aging population, living longer because of fairly recent amazing pharmaceutical discoveries, this FACT is not really being used as part of the equation to determine how realistically to fund the NHS now and for the future.

Cope the CEO made a relevant statement recently when asked about the over spend and she said that based on the formula set out in the report which set up Manx Care and approved by Tynwald they should have had c£25m more funding which would have meant they were under budget. However the budget recommendations have not been followed so it’s always going to be over budget unless they start cutting even more services.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sentience said:

Are we still living longer on average, particularly since Covid? Is this still a fact? I'm not so sure, and I certainly don't see it going forward with the proportion of obesity and unhealthy lives all around us. As for underfunding/over budget, I think government will always lean towards decribing any shortfall as the latter because costs will inevitably increase to match a larger budget allocation and promptly become over budget once more.

Ok, in general, apart from frankly unexpected things like Covid, life expectancy through the dim & distance past has improved exponentially with the new pharmas.

So, why doesn't IOMG make this unassailable knowledge part of the ingredients in deciding how to fund our health care.

They (iomg) ask us, the public the question, "how can we do this?"

That was what we elected YOU to do!

Forget the fanciful stuff you can put your name on a brass plaque for and.....find a way! 

24 minutes ago, Sentience said:

Ok, in general, apart from frankly unexpected things like Covid, life expectancy through the dim & distance past has improved exponentially with the new pharmas.

So, why doesn't IOMG make this unassailable knowledge part of the ingredients in deciding how to fund our health care.

Forget the fanciful stuff you can put your name on a brass plaque for and.....find a way! 

because to fund our extended life spans you have to do 2 things, raise the retirement age ( done by shitting on women more than the men for a change ) and secondly raise taxes to fund it , we are never going to tax highly enough to fund what is required as it is probably an unbalanceable  equation

Not tax highly, just tax appropriately i.e. tax simply, get rid of loopholes, no tax cap and ensure the tax the corporations should pay is actually paid. Get rid of road excise licence and put the tax on fuel...............simples...lol.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Sentience said:

Of course any government can decide to fund healthcare to cover everything which is what some of the Nordic countries have but the cost is enormous and can only be funded by enormous taxes which is how it’s funded.in Finland average tax take is 43.5% on workers, 42% Norway,47% Denmark.

1 minute ago, doc.fixit said:

But maybe salaries are higher there.?

and utilities and  house prices are cheaper ??     there don't seem to be many homeless and beggars in nordic countries, too bloody cold i guess.  and i also guess it depends on what the state provides for that tax compared to us, maybe they don't have rates or NI or all the other extra costs we get on top of our tax.

17 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

But maybe salaries are higher there.?

A lot higher but of course you also pay a lot more tax!! Denmark average salary £68k but nearly 50% goes in taxes but benefits, healthcare, pensions are better. So more tax you pay the better the benefits generally. Average house cost c£300k.

Edited by Banker