£47m Government Overspend

Hairy Poppins

On 1/30/2024 at 9:18 PM, cissolt said:

Well there are no checks at heysham and our border control looks like crossing through the Berlin wall.  What are we stopping?  Nobody is exporting drugs.

Job creation and the illusion of being seen to do something.

I would wager that drug seizures leaving the island are zero.

The outgoing detection will be focused on cash detection and at the outside, devices to do harm on-board.

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

The outgoing detection will be focused on cash detection and at the outside, devices to do harm on-board.

what are we expecting the Houti's ? there hasn't ever been  a high jacking of an isle of Man steam packet boat , perhaps  the government might be contemplating sabotage for the insurance money is finances get really bad , 

• Thanks 1

On 2/5/2024 at 11:26 PM, Omobono said:

what are we expecting the Houti's ? there hasn't ever been  a high jacking of an isle of Man steam packet boat , perhaps  the government might be contemplating sabotage for the insurance money is finances get really bad , 

You need to understand the context of terrorism before commenting 

• Like 1

He's got a point though, we're hardly a prime target for terrorism.

Ironically the one thing that probably makes us as much of a target as we are is the money we pay the UK for defence, generally squandered throughout the world killing people who pose us no threat whatsoever.

Would be much cheaper to contact every known terrorist organisation in the world and inform them we don't condone or contribute to UK foreign policy.

6 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

He's got a point though, we're hardly a prime target for terrorism.

Ironically the one thing that probably makes us as much of a target as we are is the money we pay the UK for defence, generally squandered throughout the world killing people who pose us no threat whatsoever.

Would be much cheaper to contact every known terrorist organisation in the world and inform them we don't condone or contribute to UK foreign policy.

If only it was that simple. 

Doesn't stop Russia using Ireland as a potential platform for attacking the UK.

3 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

It really is as simple as that. We need a dose of realism. The best defence we have is peaceful insignificance. 

I wish it was that simple. The UK simply wouldn't allow a potentially strategically important island to be left open to invasion. 

Cutting all ties with the UK is also not simple and would come at a massively higher cost than the island's contribution to the UK MoD.

10 minutes ago, Hairy Poppins said:

I wish it was that simple. The UK simply wouldn't allow a potentially strategically important island to be left open to invasion. 

Cutting all ties with the UK is also not simple and would come at a massively higher cost than the island's contribution to the UK MoD.

That's up to them. If we're strategically important to them then that's their look out, not ours.

Who's talking about cutting all ties with the UK? I'm well up for having as many ties with as many other countries as we can. Paying them millions without question for a completely unnecessary service, not so much.

Sometimes you need to take a step back from a situation and see the bigger picture. Things are often much more simple in that context, as is certainly the case here. 

On 2/5/2024 at 9:34 PM, Derek Flint said:

But the problem is that leaving is like fort Knox, and little to no money is found. No device has ever been brought on to do harm onboard Derek, pure scaremongering.

In contrast with Heysham where security is zero, free flow of drugs to the island.  No checks on departure or arrival.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Who's talking about cutting all ties with the UK? I'm well up for having as many ties with as many other countries as we can. Paying them millions without question for a completely unnecessary service, not so much.

You are. Well presumably you don't think terrorists organisations will think "well they do have a health agreement, VAT and customs agreement, and a whole load of other agreements... but they don't pay towards their army so we won't attack them because of that".

45 minutes ago, Hairy Poppins said:

You are. Well presumably you don't think terrorists organisations will think "well they do have a health agreement, VAT and customs agreement, and a whole load of other agreements... but they don't pay towards their army so we won't attack them because of that".

I don't think it's our health or VAT agreement that bother the likes of the Huithi, I'm pretty sure they're more bothered by the air strikes killing their people.

In truth, I don't think we're on any terrorists radar in any case. History would seem to agree with me. Why we still pay millions against non existent enemies is anybody's guess.

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

It really is as simple as that. We need a dose of realism. The best defence we have is peaceful insignificance. 

that worked so well for native americans , aboriginals , maoris   etc etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

That's up to them. If we're strategically important to them then that's their look out, not ours.

The UK is more strategically important to us than we are to them. Perhaps then we should take responsibility for their defence and charge them a few quid for it.

34 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

The UK is more strategically important to us than we are to them. Perhaps then we should take responsibility for their defence and charge them a few quid for it.

Yeah I never thought of that, what if Putin invades the UK as a strategic base from which to mount his main assault on the island?

That sounds likely, let's throw a few more million at offing a few Arabs, that'll sort things out - oh and let's send some more guns to Ukraine, that'll calm things down further.