£47m Government Overspend

Hairy Poppins

2 hours ago, cissolt said:

But the problem is that leaving is like fort Knox, and little to no money is found. No device has ever been brought on to do harm onboard Derek, pure scaremongering.

In contrast with Heysham where security is zero, free flow of drugs to the island.  No checks on departure or arrival.

Au contraire Blackadder. Money is found. You just don't necessarily get to hear of it.

And you are right, no device has been brought on board. That's what deterrence does. A bit like an armed presence at major airports. 

Ferries operating in British waters could be a legitimate terrorist target. Starting that attack from a poorly protected port would be attractive with no deterrence.

There is similar security screening at Heysham.

Most incoming drugs will have a significant intelligence trail behind them. Yes stuff gets through, but your option is significantly extended embarkation and disembarkation times.

Just returned via Hersham, car check consisted of open boot close boot. Had in a suitcase a knife for the kitchen, bit of extravagance at £48 but the reduction was major. So not much of a deterrent, I also think this could be just the balaclava boys looking for an excuse for a hijack on the no use rescue boats for boarding ships in a hostage situation. Unless of course they make it to 12 mile limit and then we will just have to rely on the poor fools we pay millions to.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Au contraire Blackadder. Money is found. You just don't necessarily get to hear of it.

And you are right, no device has been brought on board. That's what deterrence does. A bit like an armed presence at the airport

This sounds like Stu and his walks in the corridors of power doing great and good things we never hear about, if the police found a dog they would be all over social media

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

And you are right, no device has been brought on board. That's what deterrence does. A bit like an armed presence at major airports. 

How come the deterrence works for terrorism but not drug trafficking?

Could it not be that no device has been brought on board because, actually, no one wants to? 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Nice up to date analogy with similarly sized countries.

the year we live in and the size of the territory doesn't change mans greed, there are always people that want more than they have or need.

5 hours ago, Gladys said:

Could it not be that no device has been brought on board because, actually, no one wants to? 

It's honestly baffling, what are we trying to prevent being taken on the boat? And for what reasons?  It's pure scaremongering and job creation/security.

If we really cared, we would have cars searched at Heysham to prevent drugs/guns and people being brought over.

13 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Most incoming drugs will have a significant intelligence trail behind them. 

Just picked up on what Derek was saying, you mean it's not down to our police force being so good at detectering. It's down to being given the nod from UK police forces who can not be assed picking them up before they get on the boat, most likely not worth all the paperwork for such a small amount. They then just follow them of the boat to the handover and swoop most likely with balaclava's and H&K's drawn incase they have a nail file in a bag. Or is that me being cynical.

8 hours ago, Gladys said:

I thought we were talking about outbound traffic

3 hours ago, cissolt said:

It's honestly baffling, what are we trying to prevent being taken on the boat? And for what reasons?  It's pure scaremongering and job creation/security.

If we really cared, we would have cars searched at Heysham to prevent drugs/guns and people being brought over.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/feb/06/northern-irish-dissident-republicans-suspected-of-brexit-day-plot-to-blow-up-ferry-belfast-docks

Easy targets make easy headlines

31 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Just picked up on what Derek was saying, you mean it's not down to our police force being so good at detectering. It's down to being given the nod from UK police forces who can not be assed picking them up before they get on the boat, most likely not worth all the paperwork for such a small amount. They then just follow them of the boat to the handover and swoop most likely with balaclava's and H&K's drawn incase they have a nail file in a bag. Or is that me being cynical.

It's you being cynical 

34 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Were you on the Island and policing during "The Troubles"?

I was offered money by a lovely Irish gent shortly after the bank robbery, £10 for 40 Irish.  I declined as it looked like monopoly money.

On the Heysham security, I have traveled back on the 02:15 sailing 6 times in the last 3 months and there is absolutely no security at all. no bag or id checks.  This is what makes our outbound security look even more bizarre.  

Money going out = bad

Drugs coming in = good

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cissolt said:

I was offered money by a lovely Irish gent shortly after the bank robbery, £10 for 40 Irish.  I declined as it looked like monopoly money.

On the Heysham security, I have traveled back on the 02:15 sailing 6 times in the last 3 months and there is absolutely no security at all. no bag or id checks.  This is what makes our outbound security look even more bizarre.  

Money going out = bad

Drugs coming in = good

Yet, the number of foot passengers or vehicles detained coming off the ferries is consistently high for drugs busts. 

Bags are checked in, other than small. There are frequently Manx sniffer dogs on the car deck and behind the scenes at the sea terminal.

Most of it is intelligence lead.

Of course that does beg the question, if Lancs, Manc, or Merseyside plod know, and tell IoM Plod, why don’t those three forces pick up in England? I think the answer is they’ve given up.

Travel patterns are also watched. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

Yet, the number of foot passengers or vehicles detained coming off the ferries is consistently high for drugs busts. 

Bags are checked in, other than small. There are frequently Manx sniffer dogs on the car deck and behind the scenes at the sea terminal.

Most of it is intelligence lead.

Of course that does beg the question, if Lancs, Manc, or Merseyside plod know, and tell IoM Plod, why don’t those three forces pick up in England? I think the answer is they’ve given up.

Travel patterns are also watched. 

I don't doubt that there is intelligence, but sitting in the car and watching 50+ vehicles jam packed with stuff go through with no checks of bags or ID seems like a massive security flaw. 

Or that out police are creating the illusion of a threat to justify budgets at our outgoing border.