£47m Government Overspend

Hairy Poppins

3 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Were you on the Island and policing during "The Troubles"?

Ha, reading through the thread, seeing references to 'a device' I thought exactly the same. 

It was mainly the fishing boats back then though bringing through the Irish tourists in ski masks... 

19 hours ago, WTF said:

that worked so well for native americans , aboriginals , maoris   etc etc.

Any original native population can be called aboriginals, not just the Australian ones. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, cissolt said:

I don't doubt that there is intelligence, but sitting in the car and watching 50+ vehicles jam packed with stuff go through with no checks of bags or ID seems like a massive security flaw. 

Or that out police are creating the illusion of a threat to justify budgets at our outgoing border.

But, that’s how Borders work. Random. To deal with Heysham it’d have to be Lancs Constabulary. They honestly have bigger things to fry. 

What powers would the IoM police have at Heysham? Or port Security Officers?

Ive been subject to random Lancs police check, looking in boot and rear seats, in the last 12 months at Heysham. They do about 1 day a month. And stop 1 car in 10, or less.

Once at Liverpool,  before covid. But that was port security and I asked to see their ID or warrant of authority to exercise their powers. They hadn’t been issued with any. Radioed his boss, said I was refusing, I spoke with boss and pointed out his staff needed ID and a written authority to exercise powers. He conceded they weren’t compliant and that was it.

Coming back from Spain 10 days ago at Santander, fiscal police were checking how much cash I was carrying exiting Spain/EU. Minimal. Had to sign a declaration. No check on vehicle contents, 36 bottles of sparkling mineral water. Portsmouth gave my passport a cursory glance, waved through with comment it was first IoM passport she had seen in 5 years in the job. No customs or police check.

48 minutes ago, John Wright said:

But, that’s how Borders work. Random. To deal with Heysham it’d have to be Lancs Constabulary. They honestly have bigger things to fry. 

What powers would the IoM police have at Heysham? Or port Security Officers?

Ive been subject to random Lancs police check, looking in boot and rear seats, in the last 12 months at Heysham. They do about 1 day a month. And stop 1 car in 10, or less.

Once at Liverpool,  before covid. But that was port security and I asked to see their ID or warrant of authority to exercise their powers. They hadn’t been issued with any. Radioed his boss, said I was refusing, I spoke with boss and pointed out his staff needed ID and a written authority to exercise powers. He conceded they weren’t compliant and that was it.

Coming back from Spain 10 days ago at Santander, fiscal police were checking how much cash I was carrying exiting Spain/EU. Minimal. Had to sign a declaration. No check on vehicle contents, 36 bottles of sparkling mineral water. Portsmouth gave my passport a cursory glance, waved through with comment it was first IoM passport she had seen in 5 years in the job. No customs or police check.

Thanks John. 1 in 10 except on the 02:15 sailing perhaps.   Random would suggest that I would see at least 1 car being checked out of 6 trips.

Random leaving here is 1 in 5 cars every trip. Which gives the impression that there is a huge problem of 'something illegal' leaving the island which justifies the size of the operation.

Just now, cissolt said:

Thanks John. 1 in 10 except on the 02:15 sailing perhaps.   Random would suggest that I would see at least 1 car being checked out of 6 trips.

Random leaving here is 1 in 5 cars every trip. Which gives the impression that there is a huge problem of 'something illegal' leaving the island which justifies the size of the operation.

No, one in 30 ( one day a month ).

Ive never been searched leaving the Island. And I do sail frequently. Famous last words.

It’s cash that the criminals are trying to shift off island to pay for the drugs imported, post office have spotted a few parcels containing wads of cash but I’m assuming most is going with personal couriers on planes or boats.