£47m Government Overspend

Hairy Poppins

4 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

The Minister stated that the shortfall would or has been met by "Additional income tax revenue". Really?

Yes. I think this stands to reason. There are a few more people employed, but also most people have had at least an inflation(ish) pay rise. Checking the records for 22-23 none of our employees were paid less than 10% above their 21-22 income, and tax allowances have not been raised, so there will also be an element of fiscal drag. Then thousands of people have substantial bank balances that until last year were earning nothing in interest. Now they are earning substantial amounts which are all taxable.

Edited by woolley
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, woolley said:

Then thousands of people have substantial bank balances that until last year were earning nothing in interest. Now they are earning substantial amounts which are all taxable.

Good point.  Most people won't have accounted for any bank interest on the income tax for years.  It'll do doubt catch a few people out, but you'd imagine the next tax intake would be higher because of this. 

25 minutes ago, woolley said:

Yes. I think this stands to reason. There are a few more people employed, but also most people have had at least an inflation(ish) pay rise. Checking the records for 22-23 none of our employees were paid less than 10% above their 21-22 income, and tax allowances have not been raised, so there will also be an element of fiscal drag. Then thousands of people have substantial bank balances that until last year were earning nothing in interest. Now they are earning substantial amounts which are all taxable.

Yes That's an unfairness. Starting rate for tax on interest is £5,000 in England. Here it's zero.

Also you can buy ISAs there.

It seems to me that people on low earnings and with little savings are paying a disproportionate in income tax here.

Edited by Moghrey Mie
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

OK We need those 'vital frontline services'. So how about cutting some of the make-believe jobs that are not needed.

If these departments can go £47 million over budget they should be scrutinised over their priorities and spending.

I thought Julie Edge prided herself in being able to budget. That's what she used to say when she was first elected.

Assume bulk is on teachers salaries which went up substantially and well in excess of budget allocated, Healthcare will be similar.

19 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Yes That's an unfairness. Starting rate for tax on interest is £5,000 in England. Here it's zero.

It seems to me that people on low earnings and with little savings are paying a disproportionate in income tax here.

Which is why income tax and NI needs increasing for higher earners .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

It's not £5,000 tax free interest for everyone though. It's called the Starting Rate, but it's more complex than that, depending on whether you have other income. Then there's the Personal Savings Allowance - Basic rate taxpayers (20%) can earn £1,000 in tax-free interest each year, higher rate taxpayers (40%) can earn £500 in tax-free interest each year, additional rate taxpayers (45%) don't get an allowance.

It's ridiculously complicated, and I've not had my calculator out, but I'd say that in most scenarios our higher personal allowance £14,500 vs £12,570, and lower basic rate on the first £6,500 on income 10% vs 20%, would take care of it.

Here's the spiel for anyone interested.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-tax-free-interest-on-savings

Just now, woolley said:

It's not £5,000 tax free interest for everyone though. It's called the Starting Rate, but it's more complex than that, depending on whether you have other income. Then there's the Personal Savings Allowance - Basic rate taxpayers (20%) can earn £1,000 in tax-free interest each year, higher rate taxpayers (40%) can earn £500 in tax-free interest each year, additional rate taxpayers (45%) don't get an allowance.

It's ridiculously complicated, and I've not had my calculator out, but I'd say that in most scenarios our higher personal allowance £14,500 vs £12,570, and lower basic rate on the first £6,500 on income 10% vs 20%, would take care of it.

Here's the spiel for anyone interested.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-tax-free-interest-on-savings

Coincidentally, I had all this explained to me today by a very articulate young lady from the income tax office. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Good point.  Most people won't have accounted for any bank interest on the income tax for years.  It'll do doubt catch a few people out, but you'd imagine the next tax intake would be higher because of this. 

Yes, a lot of the increase in tax will come from this source. There will be some push back in the opposite direction as borrowers have to remortgage at higher interest rates and claim higher tax relief, but this will take a while to work through, and the relief is restricted to £5,000 per person nowadays anyway.

37 minutes ago, woolley said:

In a tax haven?

Caught between a rock and a hard place, which is why the middle and lower incomes bear the brunt of being in the crosshairs.

We're running out of money but we daren't tax the individuals and concerns that have the largest amounts because it's not what we "do".

Options appear to be few unless there's mannah from heaven available that we don't know about.

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Assume bulk is on teachers salaries which went up substantially and well in excess of budget allocated, Healthcare will be similar.

Still making things up.  Edge said every 1% salary rise costs £500k (nonsense anyway, that is gross not net cost).  Average salary rise 8.3%, absolute maximum of £4.15m gross, in reality way less net.  Even by the accounting standards of a banker, just over 4 can’t ever be described as the bulk of 47.