£47m Government Overspend

Hairy Poppins

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Indeed. This is the Island that despatches representatives on CPA jaunts to developing member States (generally in warm climes, strangely) to advise them on best fiscal practice.

That's not strictly true though is it? The details are all published https://www.tynwald.org.im/members-officers/remuneration-and-allowances

1 minute ago, Banker said:

What’s that got to do with last years education overspending which was due to large pay rises for teachers?

It has everything to do with the state of Govt finances which, oddly, includes pay rises for teachers. These problems need to be addressed going forward which is what your suggestions also entail.

We are currently cutting front line services in order to finance a growing cancer of administration.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, piebaps said:

That's not strictly true though is it? The details are all published https://www.tynwald.org.im/members-officers/remuneration-and-allowances

I'm not querying what they are paid. I'm pointing out the irony of any of our Government being sent anywhere to advise anybody else on fiscal prudence. Is this a "Whoosh" moment for you? 🤔

Looking at the of island travel Watty doesn’t of do some, he’d be better of staying here to get his teeth stuck into Alfy and his gang and putting his hat in the ring for chief minister he’s been there long enough to know the system inside out. 

4 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Incidentally, I assume everyone on this thread agrees that paracetamol, etc, shouldn’t be available on prescription, effectively at the tax payers’ expense?   Anyone unhappy with that?

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/patients-with-minor-conditions-will-have-to-buy-medication-over-the-counter/

100% agree. Nor should it be covered by Tynwald expenses claims.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

So what would you cut, free school meals , special needs classes, charge teachers for parking etc?

Civil Servants. Pointless waste of time employees doing absolutely nothing and getting paid for the privilege.

MHKs - We don't need the amount we have for an Island this size.

Good start there.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Incidentally, I assume everyone on this thread agrees that paracetamol, etc, shouldn’t be available on prescription, effectively at the tax payers’ expense?   Anyone unhappy with that?

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/patients-with-minor-conditions-will-have-to-buy-medication-over-the-counter/

I am in agreement - they cost £1 at spar for 16 caplets... it costs more in paperwork, authorisations, dispensing time etc to the NHS for this than what its worth. To be honest, i'm not even sure why people are going to the doctors for minor ailments unless they are repetitive and could be symptoms of something worse.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Totally agree. Was there people really getting paracetamol on prescription though?! Or is that smoke & mirrors to make it look like we're going to save a load of money for something that wasn't really a problem to start with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

Totally agree. Was there people really getting paracetamol on prescription though?! Or is that smoke & mirrors to make it look like we're going to save a load of money for something that wasn't really a problem to start with.

There could also be a valid reason for a one-off prescription for paracetamol.  But otherwise, l do agree, as its so cheap to buy.

I did have a situation where it was necessary for a prescription to be written for paracetamol. 

So there may need to be exceptions.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

Looking at the of island travel Watty doesn’t of do some, he’d be better of staying here to get his teeth stuck into Alfy and his gang and putting his hat in the ring for chief minister he’s been there long enough to know the system inside out. 

I'm not sure that's a good thing. 'the system' and it's cockroach like ability to survive, is part of the problem we're faced with. 

Going back to Comin knowing something we don't, maybe there is something they know 

https://news.sky.com/video/theres-a-1939-feel-to-the-world-right-now-former-minister-warns-of-possibility-of-conscription-13055178

I have never requested , expected or been offered a prescription from our Doctors surgery for any minor illness the only time I have been given paracetamol is by the hospital when I have been discharged after surgery and then just a small amount to tide me over until I could obtain some.   It is good though to show willing to start making economies.     For the past few years our surgery has a recall system when patients attend the surgery and there ongoing medication is checked so no one is getting unnecessary meds.

1 hour ago, Banker said:

So what would you cut, free school meals , special needs classes, charge teachers for parking etc?

Freeze govt recruitment outside of health

Wind turbine plan in the bin. Save £25 million less cost to buy the nearby houses.

Douglas sea wall plan in the bin. £5 million.

Heritage railway plan and active travel fund binned. £5 million

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/call-for-heritage-trail-bridge-reinstatement-to-be-considered/

Cut off island travel for all govt workers. Training should be fully remote

Interconnector feasibility study has £3 million in funding this year.

Nautical museum 90,000 allocated back in the pot.

£40 million climate fund revoked and back in the pot.

We don't need to lose front line services, we need to make sure departments are delivering services we want and not vanity nonsense 

• Thanks 5