£47m Government Overspend

Hairy Poppins

4 hours ago, Banker said:

So what would you cut, free school meals , special needs classes, charge teachers for parking etc?

None of those. No frontline services at all, until we've given a severe haircut to the non-productive bureaucratic posts and superfluous management which are legion in our public sector. Have you never noticed them?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

38 minutes ago, woolley said:

None of those. No frontline services at all, until we've given a severe haircut to the non-productive bureaucratic posts and superfluous management which are legion in our public sector. Have you never noticed them?

I would scrap the Visit IOM agency. 

Allow tourist companies to form their own volunteer run body and give them a small fixed subsidy to advertise the IOM. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, english zloty said:

Great, another huge loss-making Govt entity? Employing how many?

Get it shut down and get these people off the payroll. It sounds brutal but it's what's going to have to happen.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Yes, its co-codamol. You can buy 8mg codine/500mg paracetamol, but 15 or 30mg are prescription only. And they only really put the paracetamol in it to stop people having fun.

Branded Solpadeine 'Max' contains 12.8mg of codeine in a single tablet and an Ibuprofen prep with around the same (13.6mg?).

The effervescent version of 'Max' also contains 30mg of caffeine (2 tablets being slightly stronger than the average heaped spoon of Nescafé). People can experience a pleasant little 'lift', a buzz, and overtime, potentially becoming quietly addicted. Like someone very close to me, in fact. Also worked with a fella who would take up to 10 doses of the 30/500's a day for that very reason and made no bones of it. The paracetamol at those levels would surely be detrimental to one's liver, possibly deadly to some people but his body had adjusted to it over the years. Ridiculous amount of sodium in the effervescent tablets too.

Loads of people doing it for the wrong reasons, impervious to the obvious warnings and risk of abuse. Prime example of wilful ignorance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, woolley said:

Would you? The next CM has a poisoned chalice if ever there was one. One term and probably gone. As Speaker he could be there until they have to wheel him out.

Aye, another reason for him not to throw his Rear Admiral's cocked hat into the ring.

10 minutes ago, quilp said:

Branded Solpadeine 'Max' contains 12.8mg of codeine in a single tablet 

I did not know this, but knew there was a stronger one with ibuprofen. 

In an ideal world people would just go to the chemist for loads of things instead of the doctor. But it would help if the chemist was allowed to sell better stuff. Laudanum and morphine based cough syrups, ether, amphetamines and benzos. It's January, the weathers crap, its dark all the time, it should be perfectly OK to nip to the chemist for a couple of valiums and have an early night. For good health.

7 minutes ago, quilp said:

Branded Solpadeine 'Max' contains 12.8mg of codeine in a single tablet and an Ibuprofen prep with around the same (13.6mg?).

The effervescent version of 'Max' also contains 30mg of caffeine (2 tablets being slightly stronger than the average heaped spoon of Nescafé). People can experience a pleasant little 'lift', a buzz, and overtime, potentially becoming quietly addicted. Like someone very close to me, in fact. Also worked with a fella who would take up to 10 doses of the 30/500's a day for that very reason and made no bones of it. The paracetamol at those levels would surely be detrimental to one's liver, possibly deadly to some people but his body had adjusted to it over the years. Ridiculous amount of sodium in the effervescent tablets too.

Loads of people doing it for the wrong reasons, impervious to the obvious warnings and risk of abuse. Prime example of wilful ignorance.

That was really informative, Quilp. Thank you.  Some of that post surprise me. 

• Like 1

One potential issue I can see with the changes to prescriptions is the elderly getting confused and not knowing what to buy at the pharmacy. 

Saying that, the move sort of makes sense. The bureaucratic cost of prescribing things like paracetamol seems high. 

We need to be careful though, once the idea of removing some medicines from prescription, there's a chance they'll try to widen the scope further and pull other medicines from being prescribed to save costs. 

I always wonder why they harrang the health service for 'savings', but never have make the same effort with DOI and other areas of government where savings can be made.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, quilp said:

The effervescent version of 'Max' also contains 30mg of caffeine (2 tablets being slightly stronger than the average heaped spoon of Nescafé). People can experience a pleasant little 'lift', a buzz, and overtime, potentially becoming quietly addicted.

It’s an old idea: firstly, I’m sure the caffeine is meant to speed up absorption of aspirin and paracetamol; secondly, the pick-me-up effect was viewed as a good thing when you have cold/flu and are a bit sluggish and miserable.

I don’t imagine the original manufacturer ever envisaged people risking liver failure from excess paracetamol in order to get a caffeine “buzz”…tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.

Edited by Jarndyce
Font