£47m Government Overspend

Hairy Poppins

7 hours ago, cissolt said:

Freeze govt recruitment outside of health

Wind turbine plan in the bin. Save £25 million less cost to buy the nearby houses.

Douglas sea wall plan in the bin. £5 million.

Heritage railway plan and active travel fund binned. £5 million

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/call-for-heritage-trail-bridge-reinstatement-to-be-considered/

Cut off island travel for all govt workers. Training should be fully remote

Interconnector feasibility study has £3 million in funding this year.

Nautical museum 90,000 allocated back in the pot.

£40 million climate fund revoked and back in the pot.

We don't need to lose front line services, we need to make sure departments are delivering services we want and not vanity nonsense 

Decent manifesto that!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Let's cut civil service head count, and I do not mean workers at the coal face. The nameless burocrats that live on the bowels of government offices that are spread over Douglas, drag them into the light and say What do you do and is it providing a useful output and what would happen if we got rid. And I do not mean 59 year old Recce who just wants to go some where warm and tend his roses, Let's give him £500,000 to tide him over  till his golden pension pot kicks in. But we all know it's fantasy, apart from Recce and his £500,000 retirement plan that we have to pay. 

I've Long advocated.a "what the fuck do you do?" Department 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Instead of a Government Conference 2024 let's have a big diagram on the floor of the Villa Marina showing all the jobs in all the departments of IOM Government.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jarndyce said:

It’s an old idea: firstly, I’m sure the caffeine is meant to speed up absorption of aspirin and paracetamol; secondly, the pick-me-up effect was viewed as a good thing when you have cold/flu and are a bit sluggish and miserable.

I don’t imagine the original manufacturer ever envisaged people risking liver failure from excess paracetamol in order to get a caffeine “buzz”…tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.

Well yes, the uptake of both the paracetamol and the codeine is increased considerably by the addition of the caffeine. This induces a temporary, perceptible but subtle 'rush', an increasing feeling of well-being in around 5-10mins. As you said, handy in treating an exhausted PT for raising the mood. Yet herein lies the rub- it doesn't last. And after a while one can look-forward to recreating that feeling. It's very subtle but significant.

A neurologist/surgeon at Noble's treating my fractured neck, on analgesia recommended that when the pain became unbearable to take the 30/50 cocodamol he'd prescribed with a cup of coffee made as strong and as sweet as I could tolerate. Eventually, I found myself clock-watching for the golden 4hour margin when I could land another dose! Fortunately it didn't take long to realise where I was heading. That's how easy it is.

Anyway, it's wandered off-topic. Apologies. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

My version of that is the old lady panel. You have 30 seconds to explain what you actually do to a panel of 3 old ladies, and if they don't understand you're sacked. 

Or sack anyone with more than 4 words in their job title. Or anyone with 'facilitator'. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, wrighty said:

My version of that is the old lady panel. You have 30 seconds to explain what you actually do to a panel of 3 old ladies, and if they don't understand you're sacked. 

Or sack anyone with more than 4 words in their job title. Or anyone with 'facilitator'. 

You're only saying that because you've got four words in your job title.  But your colleague the "Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, Hips Knees" will have to go.  Which is a pity as it's probably the only one the old ladies would understand.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, forestboy said:

And those earning £75+ pay 40 or 50% tax.

I think those are a bit high as lots of consultants would probably leave but there’s no doubt that taxes for higher earners will be increasing this year as AA has already strongly hinted 

17 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yes, that was my immediate impression as well.  If you look at the press release there's no estimate of what savings there will be and as Lily points out there can be valid reasons for prescribing over-the-counter medications.  Not least because a doctor may want to make sure that correct doses etc are followed and monitored.  There may not be that much actual prescribing and much of it may be covered by the exceptions.  Apart from anything else pharmacists will usually point out if something can be obtained cheaper than the prescription charge.

This looks very much like Manx Care deciding to issue a press release that they think will play well with Daily Mail readers rather than any actual attempt to save money or reduce bureaucracy - indeed it may increase it with GPs now having to justify the exceptions.

Stopping Paracetamol on a script will cost the government money, not save it.

If they cant buy it in bulk for less than 50p a packet and charge, what £3.75 or something, whatever a Manx script is?

They should be making a good profit on prescribing it

8 hours ago, wrighty said:

A good start would be sacking anyone currently employed with 'Minister' in their job title. 

• Haha 1