Fencing to be erected to stop supermarket site being used as 'racetrack'

HelmutX

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Although admittedly I have nearly killed myself at most of the aforementioned locations at some point in my youth. 

Me too. 

My kid has got that stage of his life to come, and while I look back fondly on my teenage adventures it scares the shit out of me really. We got up to some wildly dangerous stuff, there were trips to a&e for various broken bones and people got some incredible gravel rashes or huge eggs from bumps on the head, but no one died. You need places that aren't organised fun for people to go and do stuff, there are actual useful 'lessons to be learned'! It is sad to see some of those places now fenced off or built on.

• Thanks 3

Cycling out to the mines at Foxdale to do some 'Dirt trackin' around the deads AND finding the biggest rock you could, leaning over the wall atop of the 800 ft open shaft and then waiting for that massive 'BOOM' as your rock hit bottom.

Them's were the days alright, healthy, on the bikes in the great open air, making Tarzan like swings 60 feet in the air out over the turning area at Castle Mona Avenue The same over the river just below the Brown Bobby. Riding the horse tram horses bareback when they overwintered on Douglas Head, )where the gorse seemed to spontaniously ignite sometimes)!!.

Climbing down the cliffs on Marine Drive to check out the shipwreck towards the Port Soderick end.

AND...taking our 'Frenchies' purchased Webley 1.77 air pistols down to the 'Litz' (spelling) where they supposedly turned old horses into glue, to pop off a few longtails.

At 12 to 14 years old those were indeed the days 

Major fun times alright, but looking back, boy were they dangerous.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Me too. 

My kid has got that stage of his life to come, and while I look back fondly on my teenage adventures it scares the shit out of me really. We got up to some wildly dangerous stuff, there were trips to a&e for various broken bones and people got some incredible gravel rashes or huge eggs from bumps on the head, but no one died. You need places that aren't organised fun for people to go and do stuff, there are actual useful 'lessons to be learned'! It is sad to see some of those places now fenced off or built on.

100% agree. 

The sanitisation of society, health and safety and blame culture/litigation are responsible for today's 'snowflakes'. 

I believe people build up a stress threshold; created through exposure to physical and emotional stress.  If you're pushing yourself with physical exertion or nearly killing yourself with dangerous activities, your threshold will obviously increase.  Meaning you won't have a breakdown when you can't get Avocado Toast or because someone didn't pander to your skewed opinions.  Humans thrive upon adversity. It's true, what doesn't break you, makes you stronger.  By protecting them from everything, we've created a generation of pussies.  

It also means that a lot of dumb people, who otherwise would have been killed off through survival of the fittest, now get to the point where they can vote and breed.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

I was juss thinking too, nothing we did, apart from I suppose what is now termed 'Trespass' while stealing Apples, and maybe underage usage of what are now classed as 'firearms (1.77 air pistols) {BB guns!!} was illegal.

Also too, if your 'Gang' was held with any sort of respect by your contemporaries (the other gangs) there was always half a dozen girls who would sometimes want to 'hang' with you.

But that's a story for another time....maybe........maybe not.

On 1/25/2024 at 4:29 PM, doc.fixit said:

Except the girls didn't hang with you they just joined in as equals.

ABSOLUTELY.

But in those more innocent days, they just knew the were the 'fairer sex' and were treated as such....gentler.

Edited by Sentience
  • Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 2:30 PM, TheTeapot said:

Me too. 

We were setting up illegal dance nights in derelict buildings. I remember riding my 125cc scrambler (probably on Garys or mushrooms) around an improvised dancefloor in a derelict Port Jack building with gennies for power, decks, full-on lighting rigs and it was always right on the edge of stupid, dangerous. But it worked, formed us and we all turned out alright.

My kids are growing up asking to stay in and play Fortnite. 😞

• Like 2

10 hours ago, slinkydevil said:

We were setting up illegal dance nights in derelict buildings. I remember riding my 125cc scrambler (probably on Garys or mushrooms) around an improvised dancefloor in a derelict Port Jack building with gennies for power, decks, full-on lighting rigs and it was always right on the edge of stupid, dangerous. But it worked, formed us and we all turned out alright.

Oh the raves of the late 90s and early 00s.  They were so good.  All kinds of mad adventures usually ending up in a field somewhere; luckily I had a Suzuki SJ Jeep at the time so would usually race the XR2i's cross country and then pull them all out at sunrise.  I never made it to a Port Jack one, but the best was one up at the Windy Corner quarry before it became a shooting range. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, slinkydevil said:

My young'un and his mates used to set up raves down Port Soderick and various other island places. Doing nobody any harm and leaving the place as clean as they arrived. Not my type of music but they were all well attended by all accounts

• Like 2