Licencing Laws

Beth Espey

Personally i dont think that the licensing hours or the 1am entry make any difference to the violence. Beer + knobheads = violence.

The only solution is a greater police presence at the known trouble spots, the payment for the extra policing should be provided by the pubs/clubs.

Welcome to the forum beth...mmmm sexy radio voice

The atmosphere in clubs - and on the Promenade - would greatly improve if the utterly ridiculous demand that patrons have to be in the club by 1 a.m. was removed.

In the brief period between licensing hours being removed and this obnoxious rule being introduced, there was a very definite improvement.  There was less pressure to find transport etc immediately after coming out of the pub - many people even had time to walk if they were sober enough.

Now there is an artificially created 'rush hour' that causes unnecessary stress and aggravation and helps absolutely nobody!

Totally agree with that point. It creates an artificial rush hour and the clubs create artifical queues... That leads to people "panicking" about not getting in and thats when problems on the door develop.

Another problem is people who queue jump !!

The alcohol doesnt cause the problem the people do !

One further comment I would add: The problems, fights and rowdy behaviour that are often caused because people are drunk beyond belief.

Alot of people want to go out for a few beers and get merry / have a laugh but the idiots who go too far or can't handle their drink (no matter how much or how little they drink) cause this debate to be swayed in favour of those who decree the end of the world is on its way.

In an ideal world yes but you have to factor into this the undeniable fact that once out on the lash, most people just don't care or consider such things, all that matters is getting home, by whichever means possible.

I won't entertain a night out in Douglas without making prior arrangements but that's just me, years of experience have taught me the lesson. Ramsey (where I live) is a different matter however, as it's less than a 10 minute walk home and I'm never too wasted to walk it.

Fair comment but it would be interesting to see what the girls think ? My own caution about getting home safe probably results from being brought up in a naval town where the chances of being assaulted and possibly raped were statistically much higher than most other places in the UK.

Fair comment but it would be interesting to see what the girls think ? My own caution about getting home safe probably results from being brought up in a naval town where the chances of being assaulted and possibly raped were statistically much higher than most other places in the UK.

Surely women would be safe walking home in a naval town? Now the boys on the other hand......

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just wanted to thank everyone for the views and opinions that were emailed to me.

The programme is on this evening at 6.05, as always comments and questions can be sent to the studio during the broadcast, 430 430, or email studio@manxradio.com, just mark them for my attention.

Thanks a lot

Beth

(that is possibly the worst picture I've ever seen)

I don't think anyone would object if you posted more :)

Where's the ManxForums representative on that panel?!?! I'd like to send Steven as an illustration of the dangers of alcohol too.

Archived