Cashing In On Katrina

Lonan3

Sometimes it's hard to understand how sick some people can be - and the depths to which they're willing to descend for money.

From The Times 08-09-2005

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,23...1770820,00.html

Yep that's very bad but not suprising.

I would have thought the US Government would be able to get hold of all money needed. If the Americans had a sensible tax policy which didn't rely on constantly extended their national debt there would be less problems. Maybe in the future Americans would be willing to vote for a party which will encourage higher tax rates for the rich but I doubt it.

Why doesn't America deserve aid? It donates to foreign disaster relief (whilst maybe considered an insignificant proportion of funds compared to other countries, it is still a very large amount), and the people affected are mainly poor.

Thing about disasters is they cost a lot of money to fix, most of which is pretty hard to budget for. Hard to take the peoples money and stash it away for something that may happen, and getting enough for an eventuality of large proportions.. well, good luck. Hence why, even America, IMO it is fair for a country like America to receive funds for the immediate future relief/recovery.

Just because they're American doesn't mean they're bad, rich and undeserving.

Why doesn't America deserve aid? It donates to foreign disaster relief (whilst maybe considered an insignificant proportion of funds compared to other countries, it is still a very large amount), and the people affected are mainly poor.

Thing about disasters is they cost a lot of money to fix, most of which is pretty hard to budget for. Hard to take the peoples money and stash it away for something that may happen, and getting enough for an eventuality of large proportions.. well, good luck. Hence why, even America, IMO it is fair for a country like America to receive funds for the immediate future relief/recovery.

Just because they're American doesn't mean they're bad, rich and undeserving.

You are quite right but the richest nation should be able to sort out its own mess. America is the world's number one doner but so much of their aid is reliant on political factors meant to benefit them. I'm talking about aid in return for opening of trade barriers which benefit the Americans, conditions of aid to Cuba only if Castro goes, certain restrictions to groups or charities which support the right of abortion... the list is quite long.

In my opinion what America needs is medical help like what has been offered (but not accepted) by Cuba and many other nations.

Sometimes it's hard to understand how sick some people can be - and the depths to which they're willing to descend for money.

Same topic, different offender:

Firms with Bush-Cheney ties clinching Katrina deals

From USA Today

WASHINGTON (Reuters) — Companies with ties to the Bush White House and the former head of FEMA are clinching some of the administration's first disaster relief and reconstruction contracts in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

At least two major corporate clients of lobbyist Joe Allbaugh, President Bush's former campaign manager and a former head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, have already been tapped to start recovery work along the battered Gulf Coast.

One is Shaw Group Inc. and the other is Halliburton Co. subsidiary Kellogg Brown and Root. Vice President Dick Cheney is a former head of Halliburton.

Bechtel National Inc., a unit of San Francisco-based Bechtel Corp., has also been selected by FEMA to provide short-term housing for people displaced by the hurricane. Bush named Bechtel's CEO to his Export Council and put the former CEO of Bechtel Energy in charge of the Overseas Private Investment Corporation.

Experts say it has been common practice in both Republican and Democratic administrations for policy makers to take lobbying jobs once they leave office, and many of the same companies seeking contracts in the wake of Hurricane Katrina have already received billions of dollars for work in Iraq.

Halliburton alone has earned more than $9 billion. Pentagon audits released by Democrats in June showed $1.03 billion in "questioned" costs and $422 million in "unsupported" costs for Halliburton's work in Iraq.

Halliburton continues to be a source of income for Cheney, who served as its chief executive officer from 1995 until 2000 when he joined the Republican ticket for the White House. According to tax filings released in April, Cheney's income included $194,852 in deferred pay from the company, which has also won billion-dollar government contracts in Iraq.

Noy only did he cash in on the (technically illegal) war on Iraq, now he even manages to let his mates profit from the misery of his own people..

Mr Bush, Mr Cheney, I think that we can finally conclude: You are very sick people indeed - at least I felt sick reading this...

I think you will find these names involved in most of the reconstruction throughout the recently troubled world.  Brown & Root was a serious player in the various former Yugoslavian states.  I think another watch of Farenheit 9/11 may be of interest!

Got Bowling for Columbine and Farenheit on DVD - still love the moment when he get's a rifle for opening a bank account - classic... :):(

Like him or not, Michael Moore has done a lot to expose the way Bush & Co work to the rest of the world and that was a good thing...

Didn't know about Brown & Root in former Yugoslavia, though - another shock :o

Archived