Choices

Fred the shred

Who is funding the sea wall ?    I had assumed it was the DOI but now Douglas City Council are first of all suggesting coloured lighting and now artwork.  Perhaps it is a joint affair which makes it even more likely to be doomed.   If the DOI are paying for it where are they getting the money from ?   Their excuse for not having the appropriate work done on the pier to enable our flagship, Manxman, to dock and remain instead having to play musical chairs with the Ben was that they were short of funds and now suddenly the hand is down the back of the settee to pay for the first bit of wall.  Who makes the decisions on which project has priority.    Of course if the poor Douglas ratepayers are paying for the wall that is another matter.  

So how can they justify paying this money out when they did not have it in good time for the new boat to arrive, where has it come from ?    They have known we have been getting a boat for some time now it was not an impulse buy ffs they are so slack it is untrue.    As I  said previously if the DOI and the DCC are both involved there will be tears before bedtime,  the artists will probably be engaged to start painting before the wall is built and the lights no doubt have already been ordered from a very reliable Chinese company.   Rant over I am going to watch the football.

• Like 1

You lot need a wall ASAP or the sea and/or Germans will over run lower Douglas.

FFS Look how may Germans are on the local City council already...........

If you don't build a wall you will be an enclave of Germany within the next 10 years 

Even if you don't like him, Donald Trump has the right Idea, build a wall and the wont come.

Even better, get Germany to pay for the sea wall, inc' lights and Art. 

Threaten to stop all imports of BMWs and German Sausage to the IOM  and see how long them Germans and their efficient manufacturing industries can hold out for without the HUGE market that is the IOM.........

With apologies to Amadeus who I think is a genuine good guy, who has the islands best interests at heart.

I also love Sauerkraut although I don't know anywhere on the rock to buy good stuff from if you could advice Amadeus?

It's rather like the situation we may find ourselves in when we go shopping, do we get the Chicken AND the Beef mince??? Shall we just get the Chicken and leave the Beef till next year???  OOOh! Quandary!!!

1 hour ago, Fred the shred said:

Who is funding the sea wall ?    I had assumed it was the DOI but now Douglas City Council are first of all suggesting coloured lighting and now artwork.  Perhaps it is a joint affair which makes it even more likely to be doomed.   If the DOI are paying for it where are they getting the money from ?   Their excuse for not having the appropriate work done on the pier to enable our flagship, Manxman, to dock and remain instead having to play musical chairs with the Ben was that they were short of funds and now suddenly the hand is down the back of the settee to pay for the first bit of wall.  Who makes the decisions on which project has priority.    Of course if the poor Douglas ratepayers are paying for the wall that is another matter.  

There's always money for the nice to haves. 

There's not always money for the essentials. 

• Like 3

....but the nice to 'haves' are 'essentials' to some others!!! Do we need a wall to curtail the over topping 2,3 times a year? Probably not but...

I don't need to drive along the Prom at 9am but others do to get to work, to them it's essential, to me, \i'll wait till they clear it or go a different route!

Who decides what is essential and what is gold plated???

Answers on a postcard tp Amadeus at Dcom.......

2 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

The actual costs of the wall have never been revealed as far as I can tell.  Perhaps it's funded from the climate budget and does t require tynwald approval?

https://www.gov.im/about-the-government/departments/infrastructure/news/?altTemplate=ViewCategorisedNews&id=147839

The Berlin wall was rejected in 2018.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-46704487

Budget quoted as 900,000 here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-67415408

I agree with the other posters, if the department can't manage it's budget they should be looking at this kind of unnecessary expenditure!  As well as the sea terminal security upgrades and the cronkbourne dual use cycle way.

We could say millions if we took the crayons away

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

So how can they justify paying this money out when they did not have it in good time for the new boat to arrive, where has it come from ?    They have known we have been getting a boat for some time now it was not an impulse buy ffs they are so slack it is untrue.    As I  said previously if the DOI and the DCC are both involved there will be tears before bedtime,  the artists will probably be engaged to start painting before the wall is built and the lights no doubt have already been ordered from a very reliable Chinese company.   Rant over I am going to watch the football.

Hope these lights come with surge protection (in both senses) this time.

• Haha 2