Ramsey Bakery

Hairy Poppins

When it was originally announced that Ramsey Bakery was to close, I wasn't personally too concerned (well apart from feeling for the staff that were made redundant). 

But one thing I have noticed, it seems impossible to get thick toasting bread for doorstop toast... has anyone found a suitable replacement? I've trawled Shoprite/Tesco/Co-op/M&S and found nothing similar. 

I was never a fan of most bread from Ramsey Bakery as it had poor shelf life, but I do miss the doorstop stuff. 

There's a range of stuff from Noa and Ross Bakery etc, which is nice if you like artisan sour dough for £5 a loaf. But I'm a simple creature and just want an affordable doorstop loaf. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Hairy Poppins said:

When it was originally announced that Ramsey Bakery was to close, I wasn't personally too concerned (well apart from feeling for the staff that were made redundant). 

But one thing I have noticed, it seems impossible to get thick toasting bread for doorstop toast... has anyone found a suitable replacement? I've trawled Shoprite/Tesco/Co-op/M&S and found nothing similar. 

I was never a fan of most bread from Ramsey Bakery as it had poor shelf life, but I do miss the doorstop stuff. 

There's a range of stuff from Noa and Ross Bakery etc, which is nice if you like artisan sour dough for £5 a loaf. But I'm a simple creature and just want an affordable doorstop loaf. 

Roberts Doorstop White - Spar

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hairy Poppins said:

I think the issue with bread that doesn’t last too long it’s a sign it’s not full of artificial preservatives and additives,

fresh bread shouldn’t last for excessive periods 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Manxman1234 said:

I think the issue with bread that doesn’t last too long it’s a sign it’s not full of artificial preservatives and additives,

It should last more than a day, which Ramsey Bakery frequently didn't.

1 hour ago, Manxman1234 said:

Also of course bread for toast shouldn't be fresh anyway.  That's the reason why you toast it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I saw this "extra long life' bread on sale in S&S Motors during the festive period - It was dated until mid-February and so I decided to give it a try, purely for investigative purposes, expecting it to be utter sh!ite, but it was unexpectedly palatable and by carefully closing the bag it did last for more than 3 weeks until I turfed it out.

baker street.png